NCL Star "Special Suite Menu"

sherylc

We are going to be on the NCL Star in their 3 bedroom garden villa later this Summer. I saw the following on their website:

With up to 6,694 sq. ft.*, you have space for up to eight guests. Dine together as your butler serves a meal from our special Suite menu. Then watch the moonlight dance on the waves from your private terrace. Champagne, custom selection of liquor, fruit, bottled water and sodas. Complimentary private transfer from pier to airport.

I have searched quite a bit online and can't fine any reference to a "special Suite menu." Has anyone ever heard of one? I was a bit disappointed to realize that we only get the Haven menu at breakfast and lunch, but at dinner it is only dinner the standard MDR experience unless we pay for a specialty restaurant. I kinda liked the idea of being able to have Surf and Turf every night if I wanted it as part of the "Haven Experience," but I guess with no Haven restaurant, no Haven dinners? Was hoping this special suite menu might offer a higher end selection to have in our suite.

These older ships dont have a Haven restaurant.  Epic was the first ship in 2010 that created the concept of an exclusive restaurant for the Haven guests.   You get breakfast and lunch at Cagneys which has a suite menu.  These older ships do not have a restaurant devoted for suite guests for dinner.  However your butler could fetch you whatever you wanted and bring to your suite.  There will most likely be a charge.   You will get real champagne.  Most other suite guests get sparkling wine.  You also will have water and soda included which most other suites under an Owners suite does not include soda and water as included items.  

You may want to contact NCL about the transfer to the airport.  I dont have personal knowledge but read a few reviews here where it was not included or it was hit or miss depending on ship and concierge.   I just remember several people venting that it was not included.  But there could have been a reason like Covid or something.

You will have your own personal Haven inside your cabin.  I hope you do a full review and post it here. 

Even staying in the Haven, NCL will still charge high end suite guests for lots of extras.  

Edited by david_sobe

17 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

These older ships dont have a Haven restaurant.  Epic was the first ship in 2010 that created the concept of an exclusive restaurant for the Haven guests.   You get breakfast and lunch at Cagneys which has a suite menu.  These older ships do not have a restaurant devoted for suite guests for dinner.  However your butler could fetch you whatever you wanted and bring to your suite.  There will most likely be a charge.   You will get real champagne.  Most other suite guests get sparkling wine.  You also will have water and soda included which most other suites under an Owners suite does not include soda and water as included items.  

You may want to contact NCL about the transfer to the airport.  I dont have personal knowledge but read a few reviews here where it was not included or it was hit or miss depending on ship and concierge.   I just remember several people venting that it was not included.  But there could have been a reason like Covid or something.

You will have your own personal Haven inside your cabin.  I hope you do a full review and post it here. 

Even staying in the Haven, NCL will still charge high end suite guests for lots of extras.  

The Garden Villas on the Star and its sister ship the Dawn are probably the best suites on any NCL ship.  You have three bedrooms, your own hot tub, a huge living room with a dining table for eight, and a private sun deck on the deck above your room that's as large as your entire suite.  Sorry, I don't have any specific information about the menu available to you, but you probably can ask for just about any combination you want and your butler can get it for you.

• Like 1

I am expecting to have an absolute blast and know about all of the other amenities. Just trying to get an answer very specifically on the "Special Suite Menu" that they are marketing. 

having sailed on many ncl ships, both in the haven and suites when there is no haven, i am not aware of any special suite menus per se. the specialty menus for haven and suites are breakfast and lunch in modernos and cagneys , respectively

also if you notify your butler ahead of time, he can bring dinner to your cabin from any restaurant on the ship and serve it in your cabin.  so if you want steak and lobster and its available, you can in fact dine on it in your cabin. caveat!  i dont believe its free though. 

you will get 3 free bottles of liquor (you choice) 

Danger, danger Will Robinson.  First dead giveaway is quote of up to eight guests.  Dawn and Star used to let you book eight then changed to seven for unknown reason years back.  Now of course plenty of room for visitors.

Champagne, they have been cheaping out on that for years so request if so inclined.  Do get six bottles of booze plus in room soda and water.  Pier transfer is at end if trip, not both.

Reference to marketing, yeah, that is their thing.  Special menu, never seen it.  You can order from anywhere except sushi to room based on respective charges.

Edited by dexddd

• 8 months later...
On 5/7/2023 at 4:56 PM, sherylc said:

We are going to be on the NCL Star in their 3 bedroom garden villa later this Summer. I saw the following on their website:

With up to 6,694 sq. ft.*, you have space for up to eight guests. Dine together as your butler serves a meal from our special Suite menu. Then watch the moonlight dance on the waves from your private terrace. Champagne, custom selection of liquor, fruit, bottled water and sodas. Complimentary private transfer from pier to airport.

I have searched quite a bit online and can't fine any reference to a "special Suite menu." Has anyone ever heard of one? I was a bit disappointed to realize that we only get the Haven menu at breakfast and lunch, but at dinner it is only dinner the standard MDR experience unless we pay for a specialty restaurant. I kinda liked the idea of being able to have Surf and Turf every night if I wanted it as part of the "Haven Experience," but I guess with no Haven restaurant, no Haven dinners? Was hoping this special suite menu might offer a higher end selection to have in our suite.

Anh tips or things you learned about the room / service on your trip?

3 hours ago, texascane said:

Anh tips or things you learned about the room / service on your trip?

You order in-room dining through your butler. You should order in advance. 

For breakfast, there will be the "normal" breakfast hang tags used in steerage. Ignore the check-boxes and write down exactly what you want from the suites menu. You can do the same for lunch. For dinner, you're stuck with a specialty restaurant (using a dining credit or charged per item to your room or the other complimentary restaurants/MDR) 

Egg white omelet (specify your fillings), eggs over easy, steak, bacon, ham, sausage, mushrooms, gilled tomato, breakfast potatoes, hash browns, fresh fruit, fresh breads, juices, coffees, and a Diet Coke. You butler will bring your food at the designated time and serve it on a white table cloth. We do this on busy port days to save time. 

image.png.c318f5993b9d03593b26783517131b45.png

image.png.f472c81fd9479d6d32bd751b9bf3050d.png

image.png.360147efc152ae0e85f0a237b6380920.png

image.png.12513dda6fca5e056878a9b6cc33855c.png

image.png.f11feef94bc7b593f1fde720d8d7a218.png

•  
Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Call me crazy, but not sure why you would expect a Haven experience on a ship that doesn't even have a Haven? 

Not all NCL ships are built the same, and not all suites are Haven suites. Star does not have a Haven at all. No private restaurant, no private pool, no private sundeck.... 

The 3br villa is beyond amazing and becomes your own Haven oasis, but it is not a Haven room, not a Haven ship, and not a Haven experience.

The transfer is interesting, as they're not openly upfront about offering it. When we were in the villa we were casually talking to the concierge about disembarkation and whether they thought it would be easy to get a taxi at the port to bring us to our London hotel. They did not immediately tell us about the perk of a free ride into city center, but we did eventually get it.

• Thanks 1

Are free cardiac services included whit that plate of bacon?  Although on one of our cruises, it was half full with a German tour group.  I saw one of those guys one morning sit down with a plate of bacon filled at least three times as  high than that plate.  He ate it all.