Cruise Train Vs Coach Transfer to Whittier

pintail1

Well, the train doesn't leave until 6:45PM. So if you don't care about arriving late to Anchorage it might be worth it. It must be nice to get up and stretch yours legs if you need to, but I would guess I would just sit and watch the scenery. I took the Park Connection Motorcoach because it left at 9:45am and I did not want to have to rush off the ship. Hollands bus left much earlier. It was a very pleasant ride and they made a 15 minute stop to see some scenery. They will drop you off at the airport or downtown.

2 hours ago, Grandma7 said:

Well, the train doesn't leave until 6:45PM. So if you don't care about arriving late to Anchorage it might be worth it. It must be nice to get up and stretch yours legs if you need to, but I would guess I would just sit and watch the scenery. I took the Park Connection Motorcoach because it left at 9:45am and I did not want to have to rush off the ship. Hollands bus left much earlier. It was a very pleasant ride and they made a 15 minute stop to see some scenery. They will drop you off at the airport or downtown.

I think the OP is asking about the transfer TO Whittier, not to Anchorage.  My transfer from the Capt. Cook Hotel did not make any stops, but did have nice narration.  EM

11 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

How long is the train ride between Anchorage and Whittier ? 

What time does the train leave for Anchorage to Whittier.   It will need to go through the tunnel which allows only one way at a time.   When we took a bus Anchorage to Whittier the traffic was heavy and caused us delays.  Our stop at the wildlife center was shorter to make up the time so we could go through the tunnel.  It was a few years back and we were docked in Anchorage taking a shore excursion to College Fjords.   

We took it last year for our Princess cruise and loved it. The train stops right at the dock. I am assuming it is the same for HAL but they took our bags at the train station and we next saw them in our rooms. The trip was lovely and we would do it again. 

• Thanks 1

We purchased our own tickets for the train from Anchorage to Whittier.  It was cheaper than the shore excursion rate.  We dropped our bags with the ship porters before boarding the train just like everyone else.  We were even able to reserve our seats.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:13 PM, Essiesmom said:

I think the OP is asking about the transfer TO Whittier, not to Anchorage.  My transfer from the Capt. Cook Hotel did not make any stops, but did have nice narration.  EM

We took the train many years ago on Princess from Anchorage to Seward ( vs Whittier).  The train was a fun experience and as you mentioned we enjoyed the narration and scenery and a one lane tunnel.  I would count it as a mini excursion.

To OP, have a great cruise as Alaska is such a great opportunity to see a portion of the US many have not seen.

Edited by shipshape sam

On 5/13/2023 at 8:42 AM, 81Zoomie said:

We purchased our own tickets for the train from Anchorage to Whittier.  It was cheaper than the shore excursion rate.  We dropped our bags with the ship porters before boarding the train just like everyone else.  We were even able to reserve our seats.

We did the same and enjoyed it.  Process was simple, the ride was enjoyable.  And they had a snack car for hot cocoa and beer etc which was the cherry on top of the magestic views!