August 21 Quantum cancellations

BLM18

Notified of Skagway changing to Icy Strait Point, the next day was notified that the excursion I had booked in Victoria was no longer being offered. VERY disappointed with losing two excursions on this sailing!! I have not seen ANY excursions offered at Icy Strait Point on RCCL website yet. Looking at things to do, not many choices. Does anyone have any suggestions?

They just put up two excursions today...neither really exciting.  One is a 2.5 hour Jeep tour, the other an all-day ticket for the sky-cars...

We've been to ISP three times and each time did a whale watching trip--once through the cruise line, the other two were private local companies---there are several--with everything from six-passenger boats up to larger ships.  The small boats are outstanding but can be a bit pricey.  We're still trying to figure out what to do.  We are disappointed in having to cancel what would have been a great private tour in Skagway.  In Victoria, we are staying on the ship as time is way too short and poorly timed.  The stop is really just to satisfy US law regarding stopping in one foreign port.

ISP is a great location for whale watching, if you don't already have an excursion like that booked elsewhere.  And yes, the zipline is a blast.  Even if you don't do the zipline, the skyride going up the mountain is also really nice.  

From what I understand, Skagway is being canceled because Quantum can only dock at the outer most mooring due to draft.  The landslide activity at the pier, which impacts that mooring the most, has really had a negative impact.  

Our cruise is in a week. I'll say they moved very slow with updating the planner. Even then there were times it wouldn't allow us to purchase anything. When I initially received confirmation of the port change and times I looked up tours on my own and booked a whale watching cruise outside of the cruise line. It was way cheaper. I later added an additional excursion. Once added the excursions went fast. They mostly consisted of whale watching, ziplining, bear watching, tribal dance and seafood feast, gondola and mountain trek, etc. 

After doing whale watching each time in ISP on three prior cruises, this time, we just opted to go with wildbearsafari!!

Book Your Bear Tour - Wild Bear Safari - Honnah Alaska

Sort of disappointed to have to cancel our anticipated Skagway tour...and though I always recommend doing a small boat whale watch in ISP, we just needed to try something different.  Now, the only port where we don't have a tour planned is Sitka (I don't consider Victoria a real port stop here.  We've been recently, as a REAL full day port stop on a coastal cruise on Navigator, but this one is really only a quick stop to get around US law).

9 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

After doing whale watching each time in ISP on three prior cruises, this time, we just opted to go with wildbearsafari!!

Book Your Bear Tour - Wild Bear Safari - Honnah Alaska

Sort of disappointed to have to cancel our anticipated Skagway tour...and though I always recommend doing a small boat whale watch in ISP, we just needed to try something different.  Now, the only port where we don't have a tour planned is Sitka (I don't consider Victoria a real port stop here.  We've been recently, as a REAL full day port stop on a coastal cruise on Navigator, but this one is really only a quick stop to get around US law).

Have never heard of this company.  If you get the opportunity, would you come back to this thread and let us know how things went on the excursion  -- I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 12:38 AM, wanderingvirgo said:

Our cruise is in a week. I'll say they moved very slow with updating the planner. Even then there were times it wouldn't allow us to purchase anything. When I initially received confirmation of the port change and times I looked up tours on my own and booked a whale watching cruise outside of the cruise line. It was way cheaper. I later added an additional excursion. Once added the excursions went fast. They mostly consisted of whale watching, ziplining, bear watching, tribal dance and seafood feast, gondola and mountain trek, etc. 

well, don't feel bad, those are the normal ones 😉 it is a tiny port, and there aren't very many options beyond that....they are all good though!

On 5/12/2023 at 7:38 PM, Italy52 said:

If interested in whale watching, Glacier Wind Charters is wonderful.  We have gone out with them numerous times.

I will also endorse going with Glacier Wind. We had an exceptional whale watching experience with them a few days ago.

• Like 1