Covid protocols reduced to 'standard' across the fleet

Since the Covid Emergency officially ended in the USA on 5/11, I thought I'd go in and take a look at the status of Holland America Covid Protocols.

HAL has updated the protocol site to include cruises departing as late as the beginning of October and returning as late as November 2023.

Regardless of the itinerary offered, all protocols have been reduced to 'standard" (no vaccine requirement, no testing requirement). This includes eliminating all protocols for cruises sailing to two places that I am following; Columbia and Tahiti.

Of course, as HAL resumes sailing to places like Australia and Japan (which have historically had strict covid protocols) things may change, but as of this moment, there are zero protocols listed on HAL's Protocol tool site.

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/protocols/?voyage=all

*Not trying to start a debate about the merits of covid protocols, just noting the elimination of all protocols as a recent change to the HAL site. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On our 18 day Hawaiian cruise in April, the crew all started wearing masks halfway through when passengers were getting Covid.  It was recommended that passengers wear masks, but not mandatory.  While numerous passengers quarantined (including us), coughing around the ship was noticeable.

22 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Since the Covid Emergency officially ended in the USA on 5/11, I thought I'd go in and take a look at the status of Holland America Covid Protocols.

HAL has updated the protocol site to include cruises departing as late as the beginning of October and returning as late as November 2023.

Regardless of the itinerary offered, all protocols have been reduced to 'standard" (no vaccine requirement, no testing requirement). This includes eliminating all protocols for cruises sailing to two places that I am following; Columbia and Tahiti.

Of course, as HAL resumes sailing to places like Australia and Japan (which have historically had strict covid protocols) things may change, but as of this moment, there are zero protocols listed on HAL's Protocol tool site.

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/protocols/?voyage=all

*Not trying to start a debate about the merits of covid protocols, just noting the elimination of all protocols as a recent change to the HAL site. 

As of April 2023 accroding to the Coumbian Gov. Website, there are no estrictions nor requirements to enter Columbia other than the statndard on-line form with name etc.. There are volcano warnings and security warnings but no health warnings. Happy Days.

• Like 1

I did a bit more research this Morning to see if I could spot other changes. It looks to me like the entire world dropped covid protocols coinciding with the White House Announcement on Tuesday.

Australia no longer requires vaccine/testing to enter. As of May 11th, they are even allowing open travel to/from China. Japan and Columbia no longer require testing/vac.

The princess covid protocol site was decimated. There are zero protocols listed for any sailings after June.

There used to be a banner on a popular website for cruises indicating 'vaccine required" for certain sailings. This week that banner was removed from every single cruise line except Silverseas. Even the world cruises departing in 2024 no longer contain the "Vaccine Required" banner.

Of course, things could change again.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

BermudaBound2014 said:

I did a bit more research this Morning to see if I could spot other changes. It looks to me like the entire world dropped covid protocols coinciding with the White House Announcement on Tuesday.

In actual fact dozens of countries dropped COVID protocols months ago. The USA has been the Pokey Kangaroo on this one. 

If you find a Singapore itinerary, it'll have some additional requirements. I think it's that a certain amount of health insurance is required for some vaccination statuses.

5 hours ago, billbunger said:

BermudaBound2014 said:

I did a bit more research this Morning to see if I could spot other changes. It looks to me like the entire world dropped covid protocols coinciding with the White House Announcement on Tuesday.

In actual fact dozens of countries dropped COVID protocols months ago. The USA has been the Pokey Kangaroo on this one. 

Nope not at all. New Zealand still has a requirement for a 7 day isolation if you get Covid.  Australia still requires vaccination and testing. 

17 hours ago, billbunger said:

BermudaBound2014 said:

I am ridiculously aware of what/when countries dropped all protocols as I've been tracking openings for over a year. That  is why I was interested in noting that Japan, Tahati, and Columbia are finally indicating their cruise protocols are removed.

@lissie, I'm not talking about protocols if someone tests positive, I'm talking protocols to board a cruise ship.

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am ridiculously aware of what/when countries dropped all protocols as I've been tracking openings for over a year. That  is why I was interested in noting that Japan, Tahati, and Columbia are finally indicating their cruise protocols are removed.

@lissie, I'm not talking about protocols if someone tests positive, I'm talking protocols to board a cruise ship.

So am I - HAL doesn't operate in NZ and Australia in the winter - but P&O does and they require testing and vaccination because that's what the authorities require for cruise ships - so  unless that changes before October when HAL returns the same  will apply 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

If you follow the link you posted, it shows that Princess only has Australia protocols listed thru the next few weeks and then all protocols have been removed from their site (including Australia). At one time Princess protocols were showing thru the fall. Of course, this could be a tech glitch in their site and Princess may add back in Australia/New Zealand protocols, but as of right not it's only showing protocols thru the first week of June. Princess sails in Australia year round.  

image.thumb.png.67a9a8da65b7429a06bf8f7c661e0749.png

Edited to add: I just revisited the popular world cruise site and vax requirements have been added for some of the world cruises next year so something strange is going on. This goes to show that anything can change at any time :). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Just now, Mary229 said:

The WHO declared the pandemic over.  

That's irrelevant - Yellow fever has never been a pandemic (well not recently) - but you certainly need to show proof of vaccination to enter some countries after you've been in places where its endemic. 

You've always been able to be denied boarding an aircraft if you were visibly unwell - I bet the same applies to cruise ships too and is nothing new. 

Just now, lissie said:

That's irrelevant - Yellow fever has never been a pandemic (well not recently) - but you certainly need to show proof of vaccination to enter some countries after you've been in places where its endemic. 

You've always been able to be denied boarding an aircraft if you were visibly unwell - I bet the same applies to cruise ships too and is nothing new. 

It is relevant.  Pandemics declared by the WHO carry legal requirements. Cruise ships have always had a health questionnaire at the terminal and I assume they will be bringing  back the standard quickly.  But the Covid pandemic is over and you will see soon the hold outs either join the rest of the international community or perhaps have reduced tourism.  As a matter of fact soon after WHO made the announcement some closed countries withdrew their restrictions as did the US 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is relevant.  Pandemics declared by the WHO carry legal requirements. Cruise ships have always had a health questionnaire at the terminal and I assume they will be bringing  back the standard quickly.  But the Covid pandemic is over and you will see soon the hold outs either join the rest of the international community or perhaps have reduced tourism.  As a matter of fact soon after WHO made the announcement some closed countries withdrew their restrictions as did the US 

Yes but governments can make their own rules and currently either the Federal and/or state governments of Australia have shown no signs of changing the rules for cruise ships even though the rules for entry to the country have changed. 

Many have not forgotten the Ruby PRincess debacle Ruby Princess Inquiry Slams Health Officials Over Covid-19 Cruise: Australia US Deaths (forbes.com) - and yes of course the disease has moved on since then but politicians still get to make the rules in their jurisdictions. 

Just now, lissie said:

Yes but governments can make their own rules and currently either the Federal and/or state governments of Australia have shown no signs of changing the rules for cruise ships even though the rules for entry to the country have changed. 

Many have not forgotten the Ruby PRincess debacle Ruby Princess Inquiry Slams Health Officials Over Covid-19 Cruise: Australia US Deaths (forbes.com) - and yes of course the disease has moved on since then but politicians still get to make the rules in their jurisdictions. 

Yes, and people will turn away from traveling there with the rest of the world available, restriction free.  There are consequences .   The US and Brazil had visas in place for years, expensive visas. No one wanted to go to Brazil.  Brazil lifted their visas and the tourist industry exploded.  Now Brazil has reimposed those visas and I am sure US tourism will fall as more and more people become aware of the requirements 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yes, and people will turn away from traveling there with the rest of the world available, restriction free.  There are consequences .   The US and Brazil had visas in place for years, expensive visas. No one wanted to go to Brazil.  Brazil lifted their visas and the tourist industry exploded.  Now Brazil has reimposed those visas and I am sure US tourism will fall as more and more people become aware of the requirements 

Yeah, nah as we say downunder.  Exclusive: Survey shows Australian cruise to be stronger than ever (cruisepassenger.com.au) Australia has always booked cruises at a higher rate per a head than Americans  - they are the largest per capita cruisers in the world. And it looks like even more ships are coming next season. 

And with vaccine rates much, much higher than the US most cruisers really don't mind or think its a positive that there is vaccines and testing prior to embarkation.  Its not just even talked about here - its just something you do - you buy a test for about US$1.5 at any pharmacy and test yourself - take a pic with your cell phone, print out your vaccine records. It's just life.  

There's no political imperative to change anything.  this is nothing to do with a visa to get into a country  its a just a a reasonable public health requirements.  I suspect the cruise lines know there would be push back if they dropped requirements. 

Edited by lissie

6 minutes ago, lissie said:

Yeah, nah as we say downunder.  Exclusive: Survey shows Australian cruise to be stronger than ever (cruisepassenger.com.au) Australia has always booked cruises at a higher rate per a head than Americans  - they are the largest per capita cruisers in the world. And it looks like even more ships are coming next season. 

And with vaccine rates much, much higher than the US most cruisers really don't mind or think its a positive that there is vaccines and testing prior to embarkation.  Its not just even talked about here - its just something you do - you buy a test for about US$1.5 at any pharmacy and test yourself - take a pic with your cell phone, print out your vaccine records. It's just life.  

There's no political imperative to change anything.  this is nothing to do with a visa to get into a country  its a just a a reasonable public health requirements.  I suspect the cruise lines know there would be push back if they dropped requirements. 

Let’s come back to this discussion in 30 days then again in a year.  As I said WHO ended the pandemic just a few weeks ago, we will see.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, lissie said:

I suspect the cruise lines know there would be push back if they dropped requirements. 

What the cruise lines know is that Australian/NZ cruises are not selling well  as evidenced by last minute fares in the $300 usd range for 7 days.

• Like 1