Back2Back

Gregrat

Seriously thinking about a back2back cruise in August 2024 on Serenity.

What exactly happens on the transition day?

Can we stay on the ship, enjoy the pool, eat lunch, etc.?

Thanks…Greg

It depends on which port you are docked.  Some ports you and stay on board and others, particularly in the US, you need to get off for immigration checks then can get back on again if you want.  What port are you referring to?

~Nancy

I just was on a back to back from Vancouver in October 2022 and we had to get off and check through Canadian and US boarder Immigration people.  We were permitted to get back on the ship when they (or one of them?) gave the okay.  It wasn't a long wait as I recall.

I love Vancouver but I had already spent a few days there pre first cruise to Alaska so didn't want to tour around before getting back on for a Panama Canal cruise.

Have a great trip!

~Nancy

It also depends, in North America, on where you first make "landfall". On a Crystal B2B from Quebec to Miami, our first US port was Boston, so on disembarkation day in NYC, we did not have to get off the ship. That was a few years ago, so things may have changed since then.

• Thanks 1

Greg, as mentioned in the USA you do have to get off and can't get back on until there is a zero count on the ship meaning all guests have disembarked and the ship is cleared.  And as mentioned it depends if the ship has already been cleared in another USA port prior to that.  There are a few other places around the world where you also have to get off.  With that said outside of the USA and a few other places for most countries it is business as usual meaning you can stay on the ship or get off or come and go as you please.

Keith

It also depends upon the state of mind of the individual customs/immigration officers on the day you arrive.  (Think security screenings at airports.)  Miami is my example - sometimes they were way more officious than other times.  When you get off, be sure to bring a credit card and your usual "going ashore" stuff.  You will probably want to buy coffee, and may need to buy lunch (ask me how I learned this tip!).

I think in many cases Vancouver is like a US port because when boarding you go through US immigration since you are going directly to the US.  Kind of like the pre-clearance at most Canadian airports when flying to the states.  Turaround is kind of strange because you have Canadian  Immigration when returning to Vancouver but US immigration to get back on the ship.  It probably is necessary to get everybody off to satisfy the US authorities.

Roy

• Like 1

And if it is a port where they require a "0" count, you are at the mercy of the guest who thinks the rules don't apply to them! We were in a zero count port in US and waited for hours for security to locate the one holdout who just didn't want to get off the ship. Did not make any new friends that day!

• Like 2