"Have it all " package with Holland cruises

tobymurph

I’m wondering if anyone doesn’t do the math because they are too lazy 🙄.  I would think “most” people would rather pay a lower fare.  I’ve purchased the hia on my last few cruises.  I definitely want internet.  The shorex are so so for me.  I generally have only 2 or 3 alcohol drinks and coffee and sparkling water, maybe a virgin Caesar.  What I like is not thinking about the extra cost of getting a drink if I want it.  I used to buy wine packages as I get 1/2 off but I find I enjoy a cocktail much more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SueMo said:

I'm on a 14 day British Isles sailing in August.  While I had booked our excursions a while back, many of the people on my roll call are complaining that ALL of the excursions now are sold out, they cannot use their HIA credits, and are all on waiting lists.  I would prefer to not use any of HAL's excursions but feel obligated to do so with the HIA, and for some, they can't even book one!

We don’t drink so would never benefit from the HIA, but I wonder when I hear about being unable to use the excursion credit. Will HAL offer the credit in OBC if it can’t be used? Is there something in the terms and conditions? Otherwise people are essentially prepaying for something they are not being provided. I won’t even get into the numerous types of liquors they are reported as being out of. 

Edited by sunviking90

2 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

We don’t drink so would never benefit from the HIA, but I wonder when I hear about being unable to use the excursion credit. Will HAL offer the credit in OBC if it can’t be used? Is there something in the terms and conditions? Otherwise people are essentially prepaying for something they are not being provided. I won’t even get into the numerous types of liquors they are reported as being out of. 

It’s been my experience that you lose that money.  On my last cruise I was given 15 percent back from a shorex I did because there was a lot of complaints.  That 15 percent never appeared on my account and I confirmed it was use it of lose it.  I would have had to chip in my own money to buy another shorex and I wasn’t interested. 

24 minutes ago, Roz said:

Only one device may be connected at one time....will that work for your family?

Okay, that’s what I thought initially. So everyone has their own login but you need to take turns connecting. 

We have done the math for the last 3 cruises we have had HIA and for the next two that are booked. In each case we definitely achieve break even or better without too much effort. On the drink package side, we have 6-8 alcoholic beverages a day, 2 or 3 soft drinks per day, and several bottles of water. Worth way more than the daily drink package cost.

Agree with the idea it's also worth something not to have to think about every purchase. 

• Like 2

Thanks Oakridger for your info. I guess I didn’t do enough research before posting this.  Still not sure if I’ll get the HIA. The excursions I’m interested in are sold out. Maybe I can smuggle some drinks in my suitcase . Jk 

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

….I would think “most” people would rather pay a lower fare….

I would say “many” (not most) are overly focused on a lower fare. 
However, “value” is a multi-dimensional item. One always should consider the quality of a product/service as much as the quantity in determining true “value.”

For example, considering a transPacific non-stop flight of >15 hours? Coach fare may be >$1000 while bizclass may be >$3000. Which one has true “value?” The answer depends more on your needs/expectations/means than it does on the price. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I would say “many” (not most) are overly focused on a lower fare. 
However, “value” is a multi-dimensional item. One always should consider the quality of a product/service as much as the quantity in determining true “value.”

For example, considering a transPacific non-stop flight of >15 hours? Coach fare may be >$1000 while bizclass may be >$3000. Which one has true “value?” The answer depends more on your needs/expectations/means than it does on the price. 

That’s not what I am saying.  It was said upthread that people may be too lazy to do the math to see if hia is worth it and just blindly buy it (insinuated). I’m thinking that would be a tiny amount of people.  

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, washiotter said:

Okay, that’s what I thought initially. So everyone has their own login but you need to take turns connecting. 

On my last cruise with HIA, each of us had our own log in and our own Wi-Fi and did not need to take turns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, washiotter said:

Wait, really? Yay, I thought it was one connection per cabin. My teens will be very happy. 

If you buy the HIA package, you must have it for all adults in the cabin.  Each package comes with its own, one device, connection!  So, for example, when DW and I had the HIA package we each had our own single connection.  Since we had 4 devices, we could only use two at a time, but it was relatively easy to use any device (but one per account at a time).

We agree with Flatbush Flyer about the HIA package being complicated with various restrictions.  For example, the 15 drink limit of the Signature Beverage package (which comes with HIA) is a bit silly since it includes things like coffee from Explorations, soft drinks, and bottled water.  The shore excursion credit is also somewhat of a pain and life would be simple if it were just an OBC.  I do understand the one device per person Internet limit (it helps control the use of available bandswidth).  

But, for those who are not familiar with Flatbush Flyer, he is a constant cheerleader for one cruise line....Oceania.  Nothing wrong with 'O,"  but there are quite a few other decent cruise lines.  "O" does have a few of its own issues such as the tiny bathrooms on the old "R" ships and the relatively high price of "O."  "O" also does not have an air program that comes close to what is offered by HAL, Seabourn and Princess (they all use the same air program).  That being said, we are now looking at booking a 35 day "O" cruise and would not even consider another HAL cruise given the current state of that cruise line.  But make no mistake about "O" since that 35 day cruise would cost us about $340 per person/day PLUS tips...and that is just for a nice balcony cabin.   IMHO, HAL now falls into the "budget cruise line category" and certainly offers a good value for those in the lower cost cabins.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking only for myself of course, I was pleasantly surprised at retirement to find that I could afford to do cruises now and then.  However, after a lifetime of watching my spending very carefully I find that I can not enjoy the experience nearly so much when I pay by the drink.  Have-it-All works for me by allowing me to just enjoy myself without thinking about it.

That said, I personally can easily come out ahead on the deal when the credits are figured in, but my wife barely drinks so I am pretty much guaranteed a net loss overall.  We both agree that it is worth it to us for convenience and enjoyment, which is the reason we are there.

• Like 7

It’s not difficult to switch between devices.  It asks if you want to disconnect the other.  Easy.  Also don’t know why the hia is being described as complicated with restrictions.  You get 15 drinks period.  Spend them how you wish.  Pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you buy the HIA package, you must have it for all adults in the cabin.  Each package comes with its own, one device, connection!  So, for example, when DW and I had the HIA package we each had our own single connection.  Since we had 4 devices, we could only use two at a time, but it was relatively easy to use any device (but one per account at a time).

We agree with Flatbush Flyer about the HIA package being complicated with various restrictions.  For example, the 15 drink limit of the Signature Beverage package (which comes with HIA) is a bit silly since it includes things like coffee from Explorations, soft drinks, and bottled water.  The shore excursion credit is also somewhat of a pain and life would be simple if it were just an OBC.  I do understand the one device per person Internet limit (it helps control the use of available bandswidth).  

But, for those who are not familiar with Flatbush Flyer, he is a constant cheerleader for one cruise line....Oceania.  Nothing wrong with 'O,"  but there are quite a few other decent cruise lines.  "O" does have a few of its own issues such as the tiny bathrooms on the old "R" ships and the relatively high price of "O."  "O" also does not have an air program that comes close to what is offered by HAL, Seabourn and Princess (they all use the same air program).  That being said, we are now looking at booking a 35 day "O" cruise and would not even consider another HAL cruise given the current state of that cruise line.  But make no mistake about "O" since that 35 day cruise would cost us about $340 per person/day PLUS tips...and that is just for a nice balcony cabin.   IMHO, HAL now falls into the "budget cruise line category" and certainly offers a good value for those in the lower cost cabins.

Hank

Of course, there are other premium lines (e.g., Azamara [at least, prior to their purchase by Sycamore partners]) that have choice and true value.

As for the bathroom size item you mentioned (on any of the former Renaissance ships), we (and most of the legion of O regulars) couldn’t care less about what is a well designed/well functioning space.

In all honesty, I don’t know why some folks are so concerned with cabin (or head) square footage on a ship (or in a hotel). What matters most to us is the quality of the sleep experience (mattress, linens, etc) and cabin amenities and service as well as technology included.

12 hours ago, dawnvip said:

If I remember correctly,  the shore excursion credit = $100 for 7 day cruises, and 2 x $100 for 8 to 20 day cruises. While there are some shore excursions that are arount $100, most are quite a bit more expensive. I spent my $200 shore ex credit on one excursion for my upcoming 17 day cruise. 

You remember correctly. At 21 days you get 3 credits worth up to $100 per excursion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s not difficult to switch between devices.  It asks if you want to disconnect the other.  Easy.  Also don’t know why the hia is being described as complicated with restrictions.  You get 15 drinks period.  Spend them how you wish.  Pretty straightforward.

I am not aware of any other cruise line that restricts total drinks per day....including non-alcoholic.  And it is ridiculous that folks are charged an extra $1.18 for a basic Cosmopolitan.  It is just minor stuff, but annoying and unnecessary. 

Another related HIA issue is the tendency of HAL not to have, in stock, any of the basic brands that fit within the drink package limits.  As an example, the only real Cognac that is within the drink price limit is Courvoisier VSOP!  HAL, conveniently, has not had any of that on the Westerdam in over 6 months!  We ran into a similar problem with wines by the glass in the MDR (and elsewhere) when they would constantly (several times over 6 weeks)  run out of nearly all the wines that fit within the package.  At one point, the only red wine that fit within the package was a lousy Cab.  Merlot....out of stock.  Zinfandel....out of stock,  Malbec.....out of stock.  Pinot Noir.... out of stock.  etc. etc. 

And the credit for shore excursion credit becomes worthless when all the decent shore excursions are sold out (months in advance).  To make matters worse, on our cruise many shore excursions were cancelled (at the last minute).  That meant that the shore excursion credit was refunded back to the person's account, but there were no other available shore excursions.   And to complicate things, there is no ability to even know how much unused credit exists unless one goes to the Shore Excursion or Guest Relations desk and demands an accounting (and then it takes them a long time to go through one's entire account using a calculator to figure out the remaining credit).  In fact, when we asked for the amount of our remaining credit (after having an excursion cancelled by HAL) we got 3 different answers from 3 different people (2 at shore excursions and 1 at Guest Relations).  The Shore Excursion Manager finally got involved (after several days) and called our suite with the "real number"  which turned out to be completely different than the 3 other numbers.  

Fifty+ years of cruising on 16 cruise lines and we have never, ever, had to deal with so many minor hassles that came out of what should be a simple package.  

11 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You remember correctly. At 21 days you get 3 credits worth up to $100 per excursion.

A great example of another complication.  On our cruise one could apply the total credit (we had $500 per person) to any number of excursions.  We never had to deal with $100 per excursion restriction.

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

Will HAL offer the credit in OBC if it can’t be used?

Yes. If you use your HIA credit and you are unable to excurse*, because there are weather issues in a port, or a port is missed, they'll credit you back.

I'm not throwing shade, but this discussion explains the "Warning! This coffee may be hot⚠️C

*Excurse is a real word. The CC editor is fighting me on the warning triangle.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Currently onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, I have interviewed a number of bartenders

This is the kind of dedicated research that will fuel our Mission to Mars. I commend you, sir!

Seriously though, thanks for the menus.

• Haha 2

Hint to those that have hia excursion credits.  Book your excursions asap.  If you wait until 5 minutes before you board they will be sold out.  I booked my last cruise 7 weeks before it left.  Despite the fact that I have physical limitations I was able to book my excursions.  On my next cruise there is an excursion I’ve always wanted to do so as soon as it was available I booked it.  My last cruise there was multiple port change and a new port added in.  I checked once a day for excursions in the new port and I was able to get my choice no problem.  Lots of complaints from those that dilly dallied that all the shorex were gone. That’s completely on them.  Luckily hal added more shorex.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Yes. If you use your HIA credit and you are unable to excurse*, because there are weather issues in a port, or a port is missed, they'll credit you back.

I'm not throwing shade, but this discussion explains the "Warning! This coffee may be hot⚠️C

*Excurse is a real word. The CC editor is fighting me on the warning triangle.

Thank you. I was thinking more of instances where people are unable to book at all due to a shortage of spots. While most of us here are pre planners a lot of cruise passengers, especially new ones may not realize how important it is to prebook and get left with nothing.

3 hours ago, washiotter said:

As Hank said at the start of a longer post, each person with HIA gets their own connection or "login". No taking turns! As Roz said it's one device at a time per login. So if your teens have a phone and a tablet each, their accounts won't let one person login on more than one device at the same time. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 11:48 PM, oakridger said:

The bar menus are in the Roger Jett Photography link I posted in post #3.  Sodas are $2.75 etc....

Ocean-Bar-Menu.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)

Beverage-Package-Contents.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)   The drinks list doesn't list everything

If you have the package and order a drink above the limit of $11 you just pay the difference and the 18% gratuity.  

Is there something else you don't see there?

~Nancy

I thought that the 18% gratuity is included in the cost of the drink, even in the excess cost.

Gratuity is included in all drinks priced $11 and under.  If you buy a drink over the $11 limit, you pay the difference plus 18% of just the difference.   If you order a $12 drink you pay $1.18.  At least that's they way it was on our last HAL in February,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CRUZBUDS said:

Gratuity is included in all drinks priced $11 and under.  If you buy a drink over the $11 limit, you pay the difference plus 18% of just the difference.   If you order a $12 drink you pay $1.18.  At least that's they way it was on our last HAL in February,  

Yes, that it exactly.  

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

I thought that the 18% gratuity is included in the cost of the drink, even in the excess cost.

If you are talking about included in the HIA, it is up to $11 for the standard (Signature Beverage Package) and $15 for the current Early Booking Bonus promo (Elite Beverage Package). If you mean in the drink price NOT part of any HIA or Beverage Package -- no, 18% is added to the advertised price, including Wine or other Packages.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your help so far...I see that wifi is $15 a day but still not sure what a soda,,bottled water  a beer or glass of wine would would cost per day. My daughter wants the wifi so maybe we get one package for her and I get the drinks with it ? I would like to know how much a cocktail costs,  being that the package has. a cap at $11 per drink. Seems odd to offer a package and not include cocktails that cost more than what you want to provide.