Joy 5/21/23 Disembarkation

16 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Anyone know why Joy was late coming in and disembarking this morning?

If a ship is late coming into New York City or late leaving, it is usually because of the change of tide currents in the Hudson River-- they can be very rough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

If a ship is late coming into New York City or late leaving, it is usually because of the change of tide currents in the Hudson River-- they can be very rough.

Thanks! I was just curious. We sail out of Florida most of the time, and we are usually back in to port by 3am.

Agreed.  As an example we were on Breakaway years ago & got delayed THRICE coming back from the Caribbean.  Once was to come in closer to shore so that a pax could be airlifted off the ship, a second time to assist other ships in a 'man overboard' incident & the final was a stop in Staten Island so several pax could be ambulanced to a local hospital.  As a result we missed the tide & had to wait off the Verrazano for slack condition.  We didn't dock till 9PM; over 12 hours late!  People were NOT happy.

Edited by tomk3212
change ship name

I got off the Oasis of the seas which docks in New Jersey. Friday night and all day Saturday there is was lots of fog and the ship blasting the fog horn. Most likely the Joy had the same issue with the fog and had to reduce speed making the ship late

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomk3212 said:

Agreed.  As an example we were on Breakaway years ago & got delayed THRICE coming back from the Caribbean.  Once was to come in closer to shore so that a pax could be airlifted off the ship, a second time to assist other ships in a 'man overboard' incident & the final was a stop in Staten Island so several pax could be ambulanced to a local hospital.  As a result we missed the tide & had to wait off the Verrazano for slack condition.  We didn't dock till 9PM; over 12 hours late!  People were NOT happy.

My wife and I were on pier 88 waiting for you to arrive. It was the repo cruise to NOLA. We started boarding at midnight, had the muster drill at 2:30AM and eventually departed at about 6:30AM.

Just looked it up. It was October 27, 2018. 

Edited by cruiservictor
Additional information.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@cruiservictor OMG I felt so sorry for you at that time!!! As we were getting off we saw the THRONGS of people like you waiting to board & DW said to me, "You think WE'VE got it bad, imagine those poor people who had to wait for hours also!!!"

What time did you get to the pier that day?  Did NCL at least warn you via email/phone/whatever that we were delayed coming back?

21 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

@cruiservictor OMG I felt so sorry for you at that time!!! As we were getting off we saw the THRONGS of people like you waiting to board & DW said to me, "You think WE'VE got it bad, imagine those poor people who had to wait for hours also!!!"

What time did you get to the pier that day?  Did NCL at least warn you via email/phone/whatever that we were delayed coming back?

We had been informed a few days before that the arrival would be delayed. We live just north of NY City, so we were lucky that we could just stay home and reschedule our car service pickup. My recollection is that we arrived at the pier around 6PM. We expected the Breakaway to be there already because we had not heard yet about those last minute emergencies you described. 

Once we got going it was a great trip. Here we are with Chief Engineer Zoran, Staff Captain Viktor, Captain Matko and Hotel Director (now GM) Vuk. 

image.jpeg.8274d4fa212ba1fad00d8c5c0d23e39b.jpeg

• Like 1

This weekend's sailing for NY & NJ will likely not be as smooth, as it is Fleet Week, officially kicking off on Wednesday but as some of us know, maritime security will be heightened regardless of tides & weather, extra vessels in the busy waterways & armed patrol speedboats.

Happy cruising & safe travel. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

This weekend's sailing for NY & NJ will likely not be as smooth, as it is Fleet Week, officially kicking off on Wednesday but as some of us know, maritime security will be heightened regardless of tides & weather, extra vessels in the busy waterways & armed patrol speedboats.

Happy cruising & safe travel. 

When does that end?

@CruisingSince1982 - Fleet Week is just that, expect the naval ships and "visiting" vessels from others to be done and return or leave for their regular schedules by mid next week.  A quick port schedule check - Joy is the only ship using MCT this weekend with the MSC Meraviglia using Brooklyn's Red Hook pier, shouldn't cause too much of anything.  

• Like 1