Monterey CA Port Call

Oddsbet1029

9 hours ago, jdellachiesa said:

I don't understand why Princess doesn't port there was much as they did 10 years ago.

My guess…there are not many tours to offer to generate more money.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Catalina is a "once you done it" port.  During the summer, the island is very busy.  Wrigley's garden, Ballroom (if tours are running), back country (that you would need a tour), glass bottom boat, and shopping.  During the off season, many of the shops, hotels, eateries are closed.  

I am not going to book a Monterey port not knowing if Princess will "exchange" it for a different port after final payment.  Plus...it's on a Royal Class ship (lol).

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I wouldn't want to visit San Francisco at all right now.  Glad we had some visits there years ago.

San Fran was not that bad in March when we were there on the Discovery. Part of it tho was we stayed well clear of the sketchy areas

• Like 3

On 5/21/2023 at 12:08 PM, Oddsbet1029 said:

I have had this posted in the ports of call section but have gotten no response. 

I was on Discovery Princess earlier this year when Monterey was cancelled for Santa Barbara. This fall the California cruises on the Princess website are again showing the Monterey stop. I assume that either the city council changed the rule or Princess decided to provide support at the port. Does anyone know for certain? Thanks.

There was severe damage to the pier in Monterey due to storms we had in Northern California early this year.  
I am not sure if they have rebuilt yet but you can’t really blame Princess for that.  I’ve lived her for over 50 years and have never seen storms like that hit in this area.  
There is probably a community issue as well, but certainly, earlier this year, the rescheduling of ports was definitely associated with those unprecedented storms causing serious damage to the pier.  
If you have an overnight in SF, you would certainly have time to go down to Monterey .. you can even stop in Santa Cruz on the way there.  
BTW, SF has a great aquarium within walking distance of Pier 27 .. I’ve been to both and think the one is SF is way less crowded and has plenty to see.  

My November trip has replaced Monterey with Santa Barbara, but no excursions are listed for that port yet.  Are there excursions listed yet for the other trips that have replaced Monterey with another port?

11 hours ago, sirclean said:

My November trip has replaced Monterey with Santa Barbara, but no excursions are listed for that port yet.  Are there excursions listed yet for the other trips that have replaced Monterey with another port?

Email said to wait about 2 weeks for them to appear

13 hours ago, theloo said:

They are still listing a Monterey port call on a March 2024 sailing that I briefly considered.  Sounds like that is pretty iffy?

Iffy as in a miracle might happen but I wouldn't bet on it.

As much as I would love to take another Coastal Cruise I just don't trust any itinerary that says Monterey will be a stop.  Our April Coastal Cruise was butchered when Princess deleted Monterey and rearranged our port stops.  We also had to undergo a VERY lengthy Immigration process while on the ship because Princess had flipped two of our ports (San Diego and Ensenada).  We waited in line for 1 1/2 hours for a 5 minute facial recognition process.  We were assigned times so there was no getting in lines early, just get there when told and not before.  Needless to say this cruise was a big disappointment for us as well as others who were very verbal about their feelings.  I realize that Princess has the right to make changes on the itineraries so I have to live with that.  However, I won't be duped twice -- I will now avoid any itinerary that has Monterey as a port stop because I know it won't happen.

• Like 1