Big price change!!!

12 hours ago, daiB said:

They do if they are based in the US as it is the law in that country it is not in the UK.

For a few years Celebrity has been offering 2 fares in the US. A full fare where you could cancel and get a full refund up to final payment and a (usually much) lower fare with restrictions and penalties.

I don't believe they are the only cruise company operating in this way in North America.

2 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

For a few years Celebrity has been offering 2 fares in the US. A full fare where you could cancel and get a full refund up to final payment and a (usually much) lower fare with restrictions and penalties.

I don't believe they are the only cruise company operating in this way in North America.

Exactly what I am saying as far as I can see, reading other lines pages and on others forum all US companies have to honour price drops before final payment. Only it is not automatic. You have to ask.

18 hours ago, daiB said:

They do if they are based in the US as it is the law in that country it is not in the UK.

I think that only applies to a lower priced offer that you see advertised in the first 48 hrs after booking.

The price matching that provides a large discount is usually given as a special deal to loyal cruisers, you're right that these are normally given to US passengers, but as I indicated, we did get a very generous 40% reduction on a Southampton Princess sailing, mainly because they introduced big discounts for children, and we were taking 3 under 10s.

We use both a UK based travel agent and an agent in the US. We don’t check prices once we have made final payment. Before that If there was a worthwhile saving we might cancel and rebook, losing the deposit, especially if we have been able to get a £50 deposit deal for booking onboard. For US bookings we always choose a refundable deposit option. 

On 7/22/2023 at 8:43 AM, terrierjohn said:

I think that only applies to a lower priced offer that you see advertised in the first 48 hrs after booking.

The price matching that provides a large discount is usually given as a special deal to loyal cruisers, you're right that these are normally given to US passengers, but as I indicated, we did get a very generous 40% reduction on a Southampton Princess sailing, mainly because they introduced big discounts for children, and we were taking 3 under 10s.

Hi John, it actually applies until final payment. I've done this many times. Sometimes months after booking. If your category (it would have to be the same room type) reduces in price then they reduce your fare. As long as you haven't paid it off in full, or final payment hasn't come up they will indeed lower the fare. But as another poster said, you have to watch and then contact them or if you booked through a Travel agent, then call them.  The cruise line won't automatically reduce it. There are some travel agents that advertise that they will do this for you. But there are websites like cruise watch that will notify you as well. 

We have also done this when the cruise has been booked through our US travel agent. As above, you have to check yourself and request the lower rate. Several times we have been part of a cruise rollcall when one of the members has given the heads up about a price drop and we have been able to follow it up and get the new price. 

On 7/22/2023 at 10:46 PM, sandancer said:

We use both a UK based travel agent and an agent in the US. We don’t check prices once we have made final payment. Before that If there was a worthwhile saving we might cancel and rebook, losing the deposit, especially if we have been able to get a £50 deposit deal for booking onboard. For US bookings we always choose a refundable deposit option. 

If you book a cruise through a US travel agent you would probably not be covered by our consumer protection laws, including the ABTA cover.  You would be covered by a UK credit card if that was used for the purchase.

They have better conditions in some ways over there, but not others.  A lot of non UK people lost a load of cash when All Leisure and CMV went down because of that.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Agreed. We are aware and also that fluctuating currency rates have to be considered but overall we still prefer to use our US TA. Always pay by CC and always book our own flights and transfers. This obviously doesn’t apply to P&O as the cruise fare is for a package. We use a travel agent who is not one of the big online agencies who was introduced to us by cruising friends who had been booking with her for many years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1