Santorini, Kusadasi, Mykonos IN NOVEMBER

Beth and Bailey

We are in a similar position, cruising to Greece out of Rome October 18-28.  I'm planning on layers, a light rain jacket and sneakers.  If it gets warm I will have sandals.  My goals are great food, checking out architectural sites and having fun.  Look at TripAdvisor for good excursion suggestions and what would be popular sites to see. Keep in mind Santorini is predicated on whether you book a cruise excursion to access Oia or you roll the dice on whether the cable car line moves quickly.  This site on CC is great with experienced travelers giving lots of important advice.  

• Like 1

What have you done there when it will be cooler and perhaps overcast or even rainy?

You will simply have to layer up and get out there and do whatever sightseeing you planned as there is no point in staying onboard. Pack appropriate clothing and footwear.

Expect many business to be closed as owners take a break after a long tourist season,and transport will likely have switched to a winter timetable so do check if planning to use public transport.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

There is a reason you get good deals that time of year.  There will still be some shops and restaurants open.  I would not be too concerned with the cable car in Santorini, unless there are a few large ships in port.  With one ship, the tender process does a fair job in controlling the number of folks that can get to shore and the cable car can move about 600 an hour (one way).  As to Kusadasi, you can still visit the usual historical sites and there will plenty of local places open in town.  Mykonos?  That time of the year you will still find places open in town.  But no reason to head out to any of the beaches.

Hank

The first time I ever visited two of the three places you mention -- Mykonos and Kusadasi -- was in November, on a cruise, back in 2005. At that time our cruise was literally the last one of the season, but now there are a few lines that also cruise late into the season or even through the winter months.

I think it is a fabulous time IF you are primarily interested in visiting some of the historic places and ruins that are usually quite crowded. Ephesus in particular should be nice at that time of year and probably not that chilly. When we went there, I actually got a photo of the street (Curetes I think it's called) that goes downhill toward the famous Library ruins -- it is empty of people!  

For Mykonos, it is also a great time of the year to visit Delos, the small island about 30-40 minutes by boat from Mykonos. This small island was a hugely important place both in the classical Greek period and in later Hellenistic and Roman times (when it became probably the ancient world's largest slave market, a dubious title). The island has been nicely excavated over many years, mainly by French archaeologists. In the summer it is a hot mess of stones that seem to radiate heat, and little shade. Definitely better to do it in cooler weather. The only risky part is whether the seas may be too rough for the ferry to operate. Mykonos and the surrounding islands are known for the strong and hazardous winds....  But if you get the chance, do it. Almost all ships offer an excursion or it is easy to do it on your own by booking the ferry there and back in town (you can choose to add a tour, which is helpful if you don't know much about the period).

There are many posts on Santorini, I'm not sure much differs on terms of what to do in November vs. other times of year -- except I would also say it's not beach weather. 

Santorini will be nice in November without the huge crowds. Places like Akrotiri will be practically empty.  Many tourist businesses will be closing down.  Yes, it could be rainy and very windy, but you could get lucky. Someone else posted about going in October. That is still shoulder season even if it is beginning to wrap up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 10:55 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The first time I ever visited two of the three places you mention -- Mykonos and Kusadasi -- was in November, on a cruise, back in 2005. At that time our cruise was literally the last one of the season, but now there are a few lines that also cruise late into the season or even through the winter months.

I think it is a fabulous time IF you are primarily interested in visiting some of the historic places and ruins that are usually quite crowded. Ephesus in particular should be nice at that time of year and probably not that chilly. When we went there, I actually got a photo of the street (Curetes I think it's called) that goes downhill toward the famous Library ruins -- it is empty of people!  

For Mykonos, it is also a great time of the year to visit Delos, the small island about 30-40 minutes by boat from Mykonos. This small island was a hugely important place both in the classical Greek period and in later Hellenistic and Roman times (when it became probably the ancient world's largest slave market, a dubious title). The island has been nicely excavated over many years, mainly by French archaeologists. In the summer it is a hot mess of stones that seem to radiate heat, and little shade. Definitely better to do it in cooler weather. The only risky part is whether the seas may be too rough for the ferry to operate. Mykonos and the surrounding islands are known for the strong and hazardous winds....  But if you get the chance, do it. Almost all ships offer an excursion or it is easy to do it on your own by booking the ferry there and back in town (you can choose to add a tour, which is helpful if you don't know much about the period).

There are many posts on Santorini, I'm not sure much differs on terms of what to do in November vs. other times of year -- except I would also say it's not beach weather. 

Cruisemom42 is there a restaurant you would recommend in the following ports:

Fira? Mykonos? The Plaka in Athens? Katakolon?  Thanks!!

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Cruisemom42 is there a restaurant you would recommend in the following ports:

Fira? Mykonos? The Plaka in Athens? Katakolon?  Thanks!!

I'll be honest and say that most of the restaurants in the places mentioned seem to be much more about the ambiance than the actual food. I've eaten in Mykonos Town a few times and I've enjoyed it, but more for the views and the relaxed atmosphere than the food itself. I haven't eaten in Katakolon or Olympia, just didn't work out timing-wise.

In Athens, I much prefer the area around Syntagma Square for food and I've written about a couple of favorites before. One "must not miss" traditional place is Ariston's Bakery -- they specialize in Greek savory "pies" that come in a myriad of different fillings from mushroom to spinach and cheese and more adventurous options. You won't find a cheaper or better lunch -- it is truly an experience worth seeking out. I also like a restaurant just off Syntagma Square called the Ant and the Grasshopper (In Greek: "Tzitzikas & Mermigkas" -- like the famous Greek fable). There are a couple of other locations in Athens. It's refined Greek, not tourist Greek.

Two other things, depending on how long you're in Athens. It's worth finding a good rooftop restaurant with a view of the Acropolis for one dinner -- get there early enough for sunset. And if you want to eat in Plakas I would suggest you just walk around and find the most traditional, fun-looking place with lots of diners. Some have traditional music, some do not, I think it kind of adds to the fun. If pressed for a suggestion I might say look for Taverna Psiri, which is close to but not actually in the Plaka. Very traditional place, heavier on the lamb and meat balls than on fish.

Fira? Haven't eaten there either. One tour I took gave us lunch at a restaurant on one of Santorini's red sand beaches that was outstanding but I don't recall the name. The other time I only stopped briefly in Oia for a gyro at Pitogyros, more or less a "fast food" place -- didn't want to waste precious time dining at lunchtime.

Some of the best fresh seafood is supposed to be available at the restaurants down below Oia on Ammoudi Bay.

• Thanks 1

Our favorite restaurant in the Plaka area is called Daphne's, but I do not think it is open for lunch.  When in the area it is our goto dinner place, primarily because of its decent seafood.  Unfortunately, this place is known for good food but does not have the kind of rooftop view mentioned by Cruisemom.

Hank

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Santorini in Dec,4,2019 as a stop on a Suez Canal trip. Luckily we were there many times before. This time everything in Fira was shut down, basically 90% of the restaurants and shops were closed. It was cold and blustery and TBH not particularly pleasant. We walked around, had a coffee and snack a one of the few open places, and made our way back. ZREO lines either way for the cable car. we didn't bother with going to Oia.  Oman and Petra, on the other hand was magical!

IMG_20191204_102015.jpg

IMG_20191204_115526.jpg

IMG_20191208_221812_639.jpg

My first cruise to the Greek Islands was in early Sept many years ago. On Santorini we were the first ship in Caldera, but by noon there were five ships. The  temp was about 100 F   and  ended up walking down the donkey path because the cable car line was endless. 

Second time we went in later Oct to mid Nov., nice temps  only needed a long shelve tops and bought a nice wool  wrap in Mykonos that I still treasure.

Going in November there will be no lines to sites, no crowds on the streets in Mykonos  and Ephesus should be less busy. 

Enjoy the  museums , ancient sites and the good food at any cafe that is open. 

My next  cruise will  be to Greece in Feb on the Viking  Ocean ship. 10 day Greek Odyssey from port of Athens. I am so looking forward to no crowds cool temp in 50's to 60 and all the  places to see I missed on my last two journeys to this part of Europe.

• Like 2

+1 for Pitogyros in Oia.  It was one of the top three pide gyros we had during our cruise; we had one or two pide gyros in every port of call.  Rounding out our top three were Lucky's in Fira and Sakis in Mykonos.  

• Like 1