Potential cancellation near sailing date questions

moonjelly

Well, here's a cheery topic, sorry about that!

However, I anticipate that I may have to cancel my cruise, but won't know for sure until near sailing date.

How does Holland America handle this? I know it would involve 100% forfeiture of cruise fare, but would I get my port taxes and fees refunded? Is there an additional penalty of $100 for the cancellation?

The other person in my cabin would still go.

If I don't get a refund of the port taxes and fees, should I just no-show to avoid a $100 fee, if there is one?

I am comparing the policies of the various lines to see if one has a better policy than the others between Princess, NCL, Holland America, and RCI.

Thank you for any help you can provide.It is advice I need, but hope I won't have to use!

Another aspect flor you to consider is the impact on the other person’s fare and whether any single supplement fees would attach.

You could, of course, purchase cancellation protection or insurance.

• Like 1

Even if you cancel at the last minute, HAL will refund your port charges and taxes. 

Are you after final payment date? If not, you could purchase the HAL Cancel For Any Reason insurance. There are two kinds: one will reimburse 80% of your fare, while the premium will refund 90% of the fare. In cash---not a voucher for a future cruise. 
If you are already past final payment, keep this in mind for next cruise. 

Good luck with your plans. Perhaps you will be able to make the cruise after all. 

• Like 2

Are you Guest 1 on the booking? If so, if you cancel the entire booking is cancelled. In that case the only way the other person could go would be if you were a “no show.” (That’s the way it was in Sept ‘21.) 

Edited by dobiemom