laundry sheets

for handwashing underwear and such in bathroom sinks.

seems easier for packing than taking powder or liquid.

have never used them before though - where does one buy such?

I know you can get them on ebay but buying in person from a shop would be easier and cheaper - do supermarkets or camping stores have them?

Do people who have used them find them effective?

I've never seen them for sale anywhere in Australia. I believe they used to be available from  from Amazon some years ago. I've never used them though, I just take a small container with Omo capules in it.

6 hours ago, Kristelle said:

If it's just for underwear and socks etc, use the shower gel or liquid hand soap supplied in your cabin bathroom. The active ingredient in all of them is detergent.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Belmont Babe said:

If it's just for underwear and socks etc, use the shower gel or liquid hand soap supplied in your cabin bathroom. The active ingredient in all of them is detergent.

I was about to write the same. The ship's shampoo or "mystery goop" is fine for hand washing my smalls. It also works as shaving cream!

I usually take a ziplock bag of powder if the ship has self serve machines and I’m planning to use them but last year we bought some Tide Pods in the USA before our transPacific. I kept the ones we didn’t use for future cruises so I must throw a couple in my bag for our 10 night cruise NEXT WEEK!

When we sailed in Alaska with HAL and bought their laundry package which was great. I’m guessing that Princess will cut out free laundry by the time we become Elite. 🤷‍♂️

I am going on a river cruise so they dont have self serve laundries on board.

But I guess same advice about ships liquid soap applies - or I will take a cake of velvet soap that I have used for handwashing delicates at home.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kristelle said:

seems easier for packing than taking powder or liquid.

have never used them before though - where does one buy such?

I know you can get them on ebay but buying in person from a shop would be easier and cheaper - do supermarkets or camping stores have them?

Do people who have used them find them effective?

Kristelle, laundry sheets available at Woolworths, there are a few different brands.

I use these, love the linen smell.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/160209/restor-concentrated-laundry-detergent-sheets-fresh-linen

I started buying them a while ago for our caravan trips, now use them at home for all washing.

Taken them on cruise as well, a few in a ziplock bag, light weight, no leakage or bulky packaging.

• Like 2

Thank you. $14 for box of 60 seems reasonable cost, that would last me for quite a few holidays.

And the stock checker in your link shows me they are in stock in both the Woolies in my town. 

I too use whatever's supplied in the bathroom for washing clothes (either shampoo/conditioner, body wash or a mix of both). At the end of each day before dinner, I have a shower and then hand wash everything I was wearing (usually shorts, tee shirt and undies) and hang it on hangars on the back of the balcony chairs. It's generally dry by the time we get back to the cabin. I always get a good supply of pool towels to "wring out" our laundry 👚 🩳 👙 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Thank you. $14 for box of 60 seems reasonable cost, that would last me for quite a few holidays.

And the stock checker in your link shows me they are in stock in both the Woolies in my town. 

No worries😀 I got them on special last week for $11, tried the Tropical scent but love the Linen.

I use 3 sheets for a large load at home, 1 sheet for handwashing etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Kristelle, laundry sheets available at Woolworths, there are a few different brands.

I use these, love the linen smell.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/160209/restor-concentrated-laundry-detergent-sheets-fresh-linen

I started buying them a while ago for our caravan trips, now use them at home for all washing.

Taken them on cruise as well, a few in a ziplock bag, light weight, no leakage or bulky packaging.

I wonder when those appeared? Admittedly I haven't looked for anything like that for a few years - when I started cruising in 2014 I read about the US ones but they were impossible to get here. Capsules were the only alternative.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:47 AM, Sparky74 said:

I was about to write the same. The ship's shampoo or "mystery goop" is fine for hand washing my smalls. It also works as shaving cream!

I usually take a ziplock bag of powder if the ship has self serve machines and I’m planning to use them but last year we bought some Tide Pods in the USA before our transPacific. I kept the ones we didn’t use for future cruises so I must throw a couple in my bag for our 10 night cruise NEXT WEEK!

When we sailed in Alaska with HAL and bought their laundry package which was great. I’m guessing that Princess will cut out free laundry by the time we become Elite. 🤷‍♂️

Have you had anything shrink? I don't usually put my t-shirts etc in the dryer and I assume they do use dryers. I have a 14 day HAL cruise booked and it will be so much easier to use the laundry service! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

Have you had anything shrink? I don't usually put my t-shirts etc in the dryer and I assume they do use dryers. I have a 14 day HAL cruise booked and it will be so much easier to use the laundry service! 

I've never had anything shrink from the ship's laundry. Most of the clothes we send in are underwear plus cotton and linen tops and pants.

The HAL laundry service is excellent. They offer a laundry package that covers as much laundry as you like for the whole cruise. You should find the costs as an option to buy under your booking on their website. I think we paid about US$99 for the 14 night cruise. Very good value for money.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

Tis not the ships laundry nor on board launderettes that shrink ones clothes on a cruise, tis the buffets🤣 or perhaps the sea air?

I must  get some of those laundry sheets, then I could pretend I am on a cruise, you know  the fragrance and all.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Agree with the laundry sheets from Woolies - been available for years and work a treat, both in the machines (just throw a couple on top of laundry)or dissolve in water for handwash.

Rose

16 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

We had no issues with shrinkage at all. Each morning we’d leave our previous day's clothing and underwear in the bag and each afternoon/evening it was back: clean and pressed, and neatly folded or on hangers as appropriate. I don’t think they promise same day service but that was our experience on the Eurodam in Alaska last year. YMMV

Each article was returned with a little ironed-on label with a number on it. These were quite easily removed but I've chosen to leave them on as each time I see one it reminds me of that cruise. 

We were charged $49US for an unlimited laundry package on a 7 night cruise. Back then the Aussie Dollar wasn’t as weak against the Greenback as it is now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

We had no issues with shrinkage at all. Each morning we’d leave our previous day's clothing and underwear in the bag and each afternoon/evening it was back: clean and pressed, and neatly folded or on hangers as appropriate. I don’t think they promise same day service but that was our experience on the Eurodam in Alaska last year. YMMV

Each article was returned with a little ironed-on label with a number on it. These were quite easily removed but I've chosen to leave them on as each time I see one it reminds me of that cruise. 

We were charged $49US for an unlimited laundry package on a 7 night cruise. Back then the Aussie Dollar wasn’t as weak against the Greenback as it is now. 

Yes, it was effectively same day service on Westerdam. 

Those little labels are quite scratchy if they are in the wrong place. I usually spend a couple of weeks after a cruise cursing them! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, it was effectively same day service on Westerdam. 

Those little labels are quite scratchy if they are in the wrong place. I usually spend a couple of weeks after a cruise cursing them! 🤣

We found the quite easy to pull off. No need to even heat them with the iron (at home).

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

We found the quite easy to pull off. No need to even heat them with the iron (at home).

Yes, they're easy enough to pull off all right ... once you remember to check for them and actually find them. I'm sure they hide from me! 🤣

• Haha 2