Booked South America on Oosterdam

TriumphGuy

We so enjoyed our Alaska cruise on Eurodam we decided to try another. Booked the 17 night "Inca Explorer" for March 2024, Santiago, Chile to Ft Lauderdale. Anyone done this cruise? We booked the last remaining aft-view cabin on Deck 8. (we had an aft-view on our Alaska cruise and now I don't ever want to book anything but).
Opinions on the Oosterdam? 
Can't wait!

Here is a link to your Roll Call.

I love the Oosterdam, it is the perfect size.  We will be on a 22  day SA & Antarctica  before you.  I found it helpful to look at previous RC for tips and also the SA forum.  The first thing I did was research and book private tours.  🐧🐧

• Like 1

I did this cruise this past March/April and absolutely loved it.  We saw so many interesting things.  The staff was wonderful on this ship, and the food was very good.  I didn't want to get off the ship and come home.  

• Like 2

We're booked on the southern trip Ft Lauderdale to Santiago in November - can't wait!

Appreciate the tip to check past roll-calls for excursion suggestions as mine is a bit quiet still!

38 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

YouTuber Gary Bembridge sailed the Oosterdam for that itinerary recently.  Look it up, he gives informative presentations 

Gary did the Buenos Aires to Santiago itinerary, but his video can give someone a feel for the ship. 

• Like 1

Went from Santiago to BA January 2023.  We loved the ship.  Beautiful and elegant.  Less restaurants than the newer ships. We booked a signature suite with Club Orange and never waited for a table for dinner. The art displayed around the ship is very unique.  The Koningsdam seemed so "sterile" compared to the Oosterdam, yet had more restaurant options.  The crew was amazing, friendly and the food was very good.  Had no complains on our Antartica voyage.  I would sail on her again anytime!!!   Liked Oosterdam more than the Koningsdam.  We did enjoy the Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

The Koningsdam seemed so "sterile" compared to the Oosterdam, yet had more restaurant options...

Actually, I was very comfortable with the art objects scattered around the old Rotterdam. By comparison, the aesthetics of the Koningsdam seemed very cold and modern. But, the wall displays change frequently, and are provocatively thoughtful. These were on the K in 2022.

Alaska Koningsdam DSC_0494.jpg

Alaska Koningsdam DSC_1149.jpg

On 5/31/2023 at 9:00 PM, Taters said:

I did this cruise this past March/April and absolutely loved it.  We saw so many interesting things.  The staff was wonderful on this ship, and the food was very good.  I didn't want to get off the ship and come home.  

Ditto!

Same cruise as Taters....similiar itinerary as what the OP booked....Awesome cruise.....Ship was perfect. Great captain.  Fantastic crew.  Delicious food.  Full of activities (King Neptune, comedians, canal guide, astronomer on board for star gazing at night, Billboard Onboard) and the ports were so interesting and so much fun.  

We enjoyed so much we booked the Oosterdam for a TA and Mediterranean in April.  

Agree also with Taters....we did not want to dis-embark!

• Like 3

On 5/31/2023 at 6:23 PM, TriumphGuy said:

We so enjoyed our Alaska cruise on Eurodam we decided to try another. Booked the 17 night "Inca Explorer" for March 2024, Santiago, Chile to Ft Lauderdale. Anyone done this cruise? We booked the last remaining aft-view cabin on Deck 8...
Opinions on the Oosterdam? 

We sailed Santiago to BA on the even smaller Zaandam. You won't have any of the same ports, except for embarkation, and I think I remember they are sailing from a different dock now? We were able to buy local wine in the boarding-building! that was when each person could take a bottle on for free; that isn't true anymore but it might be fun to have some Chilean Carmenere to get in the spirit!

It's always fun to get a cabin you are excited about.

We sailed a transAtlantic FLL to Copenhagen on the Zuiderdam (sister to Oosterdam), and it was then my favorite ship/class. Over the Nieuw Amsterdam (sister to Eurodam)! We booked a long So.Pacific cruise on the Oosterdam... for March 2020. So I can't speak to that particular ship!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:47 PM, 0106 said:

Here is a link to your Roll Call.

I love the Oosterdam, it is the perfect size.  We will be on a 22  day SA & Antarctica  before you.  I found it helpful to look at previous RC for tips and also the SA forum.  The first thing I did was research and book private tours.  🐧🐧

Is there a roll call for the this cruise Nov 14 to Dec 15, 2024?

We were on Oosterdam February/March this year, Valparaiso to 

Buenos Aires. Wonderful itinerary on a ship we thoroughly 

enjoyed. There was nothing I could possibly moan about apart

from pretty dreadful embarkation but that wasn’t the fault of

HAL. The music couldn’t have been better as far as meeting 

our tastes. The classical quartet (who may no longer be on the 

ship), the great seven piece rock band and Meghan and Gabe

on the pianos, who were just fabulous and lovely people to

boot, gave us everything we wanted in terms of entertainment.
We were in a balcony cabin, so no extravagant dining

experiences, apart from a couple of nights with OBC, which

were very good, as was MDR during the rest of the cruise.

Hope these random observations are of assistance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2