Bourbon and Bottles a live review on Oasis of the seas - June 9th

1 hour ago, DeerJod said:

Someone bought all of those Blantons but interesting twist, a manager stated they do match prices from a legit website. 

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

B8FD311C-C9AD-48F7-8637-CE2BD075D450.jpeg

That Macallan Enigma is really good.

On 6/11/2023 at 2:56 PM, DeerJod said:

Aside comments:

Shower head has sprung a leak.

DS loves finding ducks so if you participate in this know you’re bringing joy to little kids. 

I miss the champagne bar, bionic is a nice novelty but champagne was better.

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_3496.jpeg

IMG_3497.jpeg

The picture of the Promenade has me waking down the middle!  Tan shorts, blue shirt with the Penn State hat.  First time I've seen myself in someones post!

• Like 3

Great review! My family and I were on this cruise as well. I made it to the running track 3x (a record for me on a cruise). I'll put some quick thoughts here.

For those who were interested earlier in the thread, our embarkation check-in time was 10:30. We arrived to the port at 10am. After parking the car, we were on the ship about 15 min after getting in line for security. 

The ship felt crowded the first day or so (maybe my impression was formed before the staterooms were ready), but after that we didn't have a problem getting seats at the pool or having to wait in lines for food. 

We pre-purchased $100 in arcade credits (I thought my kids would visit it often). We still hadn't made it to the arcade until day 7. We visited and it was in rough shape - about 30% of the games were not working. After using $49 in credits, my card stopped working. I used the arcade phone to call guest services who did not know the problem and said they were sending a technician. No one showed up after 25min of waiting, so I figured I'd stop by guest services on the way to my room. Guest services made some calls and offered to refund my pre-paid arcade credits. I accepted as we didn't want to play anything else with so many games broken. Guest services made another call and found that there is a $50 max spend in the arcade daily - they offered to override it but I declined. They said I would have to pay for any credits used ($49). I asked if I would still get the 20% discount I had by pre-paying, but they replied they "couldn't" do that. Lesson learned I guess on pre-paying for something before the cruise without seeing what state it was in first.

The food in the MDR and Windjammer was excellent - maybe the best I've had on a cruise. We did Giovanni's as well, and it was as great as I remembered. I prefer it over Jamie's on other ships.

It was weird there were no sides (caprese salad, etc) at Sorrento's - is that an Oasis thing? 

Overall we had a great time and realized we really enjoy the Oasis. My wife and I were on the Harmony back in August, and while it was a great cruise as well, we did miss the Solarium pool.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geneparmesan said:

Great review! My family and I were on this cruise as well. I made it to the running track 3x (a record for me on a cruise). I'll put some quick thoughts here.

For those who were interested earlier in the thread, our embarkation check-in time was 10:30. We arrived to the port at 10am. After parking the car, we were on the ship about 15 min after getting in line for security. 

The ship felt crowded the first day or so (maybe my impression was formed before the staterooms were ready), but after that we didn't have a problem getting seats at the pool or having to wait in lines for food. 

We pre-purchased $100 in arcade credits (I thought my kids would visit it often). We still hadn't made it to the arcade until day 7. We visited and it was in rough shape - about 30% of the games were not working. After using $49 in credits, my card stopped working. I used the arcade phone to call guest services who did not know the problem and said they were sending a technician. No one showed up after 25min of waiting, so I figured I'd stop by guest services on the way to my room. Guest services made some calls and offered to refund my pre-paid arcade credits. I accepted as we didn't want to play anything else with so many games broken. Guest services made another call and found that there is a $50 max spend in the arcade daily - they offered to override it but I declined. They said I would have to pay for any credits used ($49). I asked if I would still get the 20% discount I had by pre-paying, but they replied they "couldn't" do that. Lesson learned I guess on pre-paying for something before the cruise without seeing what state it was in first.

The food in the MDR and Windjammer was excellent - maybe the best I've had on a cruise. We did Giovanni's as well, and it was as great as I remembered. I prefer it over Jamie's on other ships.

It was weird there were no sides (caprese salad, etc) at Sorrento's - is that an Oasis thing? 

Overall we had a great time and realized we really enjoy the Oasis. My wife and I were on the Harmony back in August, and while it was a great cruise as well, we did miss the Solarium pool.

The arcades on all of our last 6 cruises have been terrible. You would think this would be easy money but half of the machines are always out of order or like you said no one shows up to help.

20 hours ago, dbancroft said:

The arcades on all of our last 6 cruises have been terrible. You would think this would be easy money but half of the machines are always out of order or like you said no one shows up to help.

I was surprised - the rest of the ship was in very good shape; I wasn't expecting to see that level of disrepair. Maybe it's difficult to get an arcade technician to fix things on debark/embark day, but not worth having someone with that skill on the ship full-time?

1 hour ago, mikefromny said:

I'm guessing your passive-aggressive start was unintentional so I'll add my boarding experience here (I was on this sailing also). I had a 10:30 time and my family had 11am. We arrived early, about 10am and while waiting for the other car load of our group to arrive the man at the entrance to the terminal was busy welcoming all and clearly announcing that your boarding time did not matter. I was on the ship, in the Solarium and had my first drink in hand by 10:58.

Also on that cruise. Also same experience. I almost felt rushed as I was trying to count heads as my group crossed the street from parking lot, while the guy was yelling (not yelling madly, just loudly) to please proceed and do not wait for your appointment time.

• Like 1

I just finished your day-by-day. Thank you. I agree with you on the outstanding service of the crew and staff. If there was something they could do for you, it was done with a smile. I was on the ship tour and it looked like the staff in the laundry room was in better spirits than the passengers on the running track.

I look forward to reading about your next cruise.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:57 PM, DeerJod said:

Hello cruise critic community, it’s been about 8 months since my first ever live review and I decided to come back for more. Hopefully you appreciate a bit of snark flanked with positive vibes and a photo heavy review. 

This cruise will run the boring New Jersey to Florida to Nassau to cococay route. What is slightly unique is that this is a Friday to Friday cruise which means we get back and have a few days to readjust to real life before work on Monday.  

This is my 3rd time on oasis but my second ever cruise as diamond. I’m joined with the rest of my family, DW, DS (6 ish), and DD (1 year old)  who all inherited diamond status instead of clawing up the ranks like I did.

We’re also joined by some in-laws, but truthfully do you really care? I do since it gives me some free babysitting but I’m sure I can skip the introductions and you all will manage just fine.

I promise that although this is a “family” cruise there will be more than enough bourbon, gambling, and other areas of interest to make this a worthwhile follow.

I’m also planning on determining the correct concoction of Advil, Liquid Iv, Celsius, alcohol, and Dramamine to survive a multigenerational cruise, I’ll take copious notes and ensure you’re all welcome to the final formula.

Feel free to drop questions below if there’s anything you want me to check out.

IMG_3258.jpeg

IMG_3261.jpeg

What's the Advil for?... Lol

On 6/15/2023 at 2:01 PM, DeerJod said:

Bt old fashioned proof tipping does wonders 

IMG_3787.jpeg

Looks like a tiny (shot) glass to me. Is that actual size?
Otherwise, agree 100% with the BT Old Fashioned! 👍

Edited by KroozNut

On 6/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, Sea Dog said:

Nice Rip 10! That’s my favorite of all the Pappy line.

Where's the 'Rip 10' in the photo, long time Bourbon aficionado trying to keep up with the current trends.
My go-to's have always been Maker's and Woodford, and am just learning to enjoy BT.
Any recommendations on what I should try next (considering that we have the DBP)? 🤔

• Like 1