Eastern Danube--does cruise operator matter?

kaymoz

We did our first river cruise last year -- from Budapest to Regensburg -- and we thought next we'd try the Eastern Danube.  Does it matter which cruise operator we use?   How?  The river cruise ships we saw last time all sorta looked alike, but of course there is more to it than the boat!

If you were satisfied with the operating company on your first trip why not use them again as many cruise lines give a discount to repeat cruisers.

But if you want to pay less then look first at prices; I got a card from Scenic last week with a great offer of second guest going free. That was for 2023 cruises from June 23 to EOY. If you wait there may be similar offers next year, of course you risk there not being such an offer and not getting the dates you want.

After price, see what the price includes, do you want an open bar, gratuities included?

Look also at the stops and the excursions available. Is there anything you want to see on the cruise??

There are so many offers, the brochure prices only seem to be there so the cruise line can quote large 'discounts'. I've never paid the brochure price and doubt anyone else has.

There are so many cruise lines now offering all sorts of enticements - so there's plenty of competition for your money. Check a few cruise line websites.

But, to answer your original question, all cruise operators will supply a safe ship, the river side sights will be the same no matter how luxurious or cheap the cruise is. It comes down to cost and what is supplied in food, drink and excursions.

• Like 2

The itinerary does matter in terms of the eastern terminus.
A few lines go all the to the Black Sea using the canal (not the least bit scenic) and the terminate in Constanta. Most lines don’t go that far, ending at or near, Ruse. Ruse is much closer to Bucharest than Constanta. A few also went further, through the delta. That route is closer to the hostilities in Ukraine and I don’t know if it is an option now.

other than where the trip begins or ends, itineraries are similar. 

of course it matters, the itinerary, the general experience on the ship/cruise.  But it's no different than any other river/segment at all.

I just got back from doing that segment about a month ago, while the ships are generally the standard size (12X135M) there were a few exceptions, I saw 9.5X82m ships, 110m ships and going the opposite way I was on the AMAMagna  (which I definitely recommend) which is 22X135M, Im sure all these ships do the entire Danube.  On the lower Danube, at least on the AMA itinerary the ship is the place you sleep and eat for the most part, it rarely moved during the day for more than an hour or two (but was generally underway all night every night)

if you want to read of my experience and see literally EVERY ship that I saw the thread is here

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

OP here -- thank you all for the good feedback.  Our first river cruise was with Viking, from Budapest to Regensburg.  Nothing wrong with it, but we really didn't need such luxurious food and unlimited booze.   Can't said the Eastern Danube with them this fall -- those cruises are sold out already!  

Edited by kaymoz

We have done this itinerary twice... First time with Viking - and this last time with Scenic. With Scenic, we also did the pre-cruise extension to Transylvania. Take a close look at the itinerary...  there are enough differences that you may miss something you really want to see

For example, with Viking, we visited the Belogradchik Fortress.  I was looking forward to seeing it (and hiking it) again - this time with friends.  It was not an included stop this time around. 

I would suggest you start in Bucharest.  We found that economic recovery is slower at that end of the Danube - so you sail from the "have not" to the "have" areas.  Although, it was not as pronounced on this trip as it was the 1st time around. 

It was great to see how Bucharest had recovered since the last time we were there!!  It is a great city to visit - as is Budapest.

Enjoy!!

Fran

• Like 1

yep this is very much true even for the same line on some of the rivers.  Just because 2 ships from the same company docks at the same port they dont necessarily do the same things.

I did the northern/western Danube in 2019 and Im still looking at going back with an itinerary that has the least overlap in excursions (plus I missed Bratislava entirely because it was a wine itinerary)

I saw that Belogradchik Fortress listed on the viking itinerary I wouldn't have minded doing that.

I found Romania to be the most modernized of the eastern countries, especially compared to say Serbia.  Still not quite to western standards but they're really trying.