X-could learn a thing or two from Princess

dmarch@islc.net

Never thought I'd say it. Princess just announced they are buying a third Renaissance ship (less than 700 passengers) for Med cruises. It's funny, everyone keeps building bigger and bigger, but Princess's latest is tiny in comparison. Think they know something the other lines don't? I do!

Even though I am a Princess fan and was extremely happy about the new addition (Renaissance) they are still going to build those behemouths(Emerald and another unnamed one) with 3100 passengers for the Caribbean. The latest the Crown will be here in June of this year and that is another huge ship.

True Princess lovers wish they would come out with more of the 1950-2000 ships. But oh well.

By the way I am sailing the Celebrity Constellation this Oct. and looking forward to the 2000 passenger ship to Canada/New England. Also I am on the repo with the Coral Princess this May(1950).

Marilyn

The only way cruise lines can make money with smaller ships is if they buy them used. The pricing on a new build makes it unprofitable to build small and charge mass market rates. That's the reason Rennaisance and Royal Olympic went out of business.

The R8 Princess "bought" came from Swan Hellanic which is owned by Carnival. So in actuallity is was a transfer.

X should have made a push to buy some of these ships years ago when they went up for sale. Oh wait, they had the Horizon and Zenith.

Personally, I don't disagree with you that they should have tried to pick up a smaller ship. I thought they should have made a push two years ago when Royal Olympic was selling their newest ships.

The new "Royal Princess" has some great itineraries. She can fit where the larger ships cannot.

I haven't seen such great itineraries since the old original "Love Boats" were in Europe!

We sailed Renaissance from Istanbul to Athens. We were very sorry they went under. We loved that cruise and the ship and we liked that their motto was No Kids, No Smoking No Kidding !!!

We really enjoyed the size of the ship and the relaxed atmosphere.

I know some will jump on the 'no kids' thing ... but hey ... we dont have any kids and we enjoyed sailing an all adult cruise thats all I'm saying.

IMO the main thing Celebrity could learn from Princess (and some other lines) will be to get their future schedule out NOW.

Thanks to Cruisecritic.com I learned about 2007 schedules with Princess on Monday (my own TA did not know them). I called Celebrity to check on theirs, and you all know the answer, "not available until May or June" I will not hold my breath.

Why or Why is Clebrity so slow, it is as though they really do not want our business.

IMO the main thing Celebrity could learn from Princess (and some other lines) will be to get their future schedule out NOW.

Thanks to Cruisecritic.com I learned about 2007 schedules with Princess on Monday (my own TA did not know them). I called Celebrity to check on theirs, and you all know the answer, "not available until May or June" I will not hold my breath.

Why or Why is Clebrity so slow, it is as though they really do not want our business.

This is just conjecture on my part, but since Celebrity has less ships than most of the other cruise lines, excluding the luxury lines, maybe they want to analyze this years bookings to see where it will be most profitable to place their ships next year.

The only way cruise lines can make money with smaller ships is if they buy them used. The pricing on a new build makes it unprofitable to build small and charge mass market rates. That's the reason Rennaisance and Royal Olympic went out of business.

The R8 Princess "bought" came from Swan Hellanic which is owned by Carnival. So in actuallity is was a transfer.

X should have made a push to buy some of these ships years ago when they went up for sale. Oh wait, they had the Horizon and Zenith.

Personally, I don't disagree with you that they should have tried to pick up a smaller ship. I thought they should have made a push two years ago when Royal Olympic was selling their newest ships.

Hey, just for the record - Renaissance went out of business because it was run by crooks - They ripped of clients and agents alike. And guess where those crooks are now.

We, too, enjoyed Renaissance while it was in business. The Istanbul to Athens was very enjoyable as well as several others that we sailed on. We were one of the fortunate ones that were not left high and dry when they pulled the plug.

With Princess taking the R-8, one of two ships that do not have mini suites, means that all of the balcony cabins, save for the Owners Suites, are the same. When we booked with Renaissance, we stayed with R-1 thru R-6 to be able to book mini-suites, for the additional space that they provided.

I think that Celebrity needs to just keep the fleet that they have in excellent condition, and they will make money.

Rick

Hey, just for the record - Renaissance went out of business because it was run by crooks - They ripped of clients and agents alike. And guess where those crooks are now.

You are so right; as an agent I don't want to go into any details, but rip offs they were. Now for the subject of getting the itinteraries and prices out: Yes, most of us are waiting for information on summer sailing next year. We all keep telling ourselves, only a few more weeks. NMnita

As several cruisers mentioned above, we sailed the Istanbul to Athens Renaissance R1 type cruise ships. Booked on the internet the customer got the benefit of the lower rates, and for the very port intensive itineraries the 700 pax ships were ideal. I believe we had some nine ports of call in the ten day cruise. Today we enjoy the Millennium class ships of Celebrity for the mix of port calls, and the larger variety of entertainment available on a 1950 pax ship.

Would still like to sail the R1 class ships where the itinerary was as interesting as the Eastern Mediteranien, and the ports of call were close enough together to limit the sea days. But for the all around cruise experience the Celebrity Millennium class is our choice.

Petert

You are so right; as an agent I don't want to go into any details, but rip offs they were. Now for the subject of getting the itinteraries and prices out: Yes, most of us are waiting for information on summer sailing next year. We all keep telling ourselves, only a few more weeks. NMnita

You know, it is interesting how consumers loved Renaissance - but Renaissance really set the travel agency community back a bit. Were you one of the agents that had to give back commissions in the bankruptcy procession? I sure knew a lot that did.

Princess rates just came out. Their ships are doing the same itneraries are the same. Celebrity and Royal Caribbeans rates will be out in about 4 weeks. They are making a few changes.

You have princess rates? Where did you find them? Are they for Europe? I have the itineraries, but nothing on rates, any help would be appreciated.

I have no idea, please enlighten me.

We sailed Renaissance from Mombasa to the Seychelles and back. One of our best cruises ever. This was back in the day when they had the white ships, before they built the "R class" blue ships.

chessbriar, Aren't there a few more R class ships flouting around out there for sale? I'm thinking Meridian II! LOL

The discussion regarding defunct lines is interesting - but to get back to the point: what specifically does Princess Cruise Lines do better than Celebrity? I am a bit curious ... (no generalizations, please - facts only).

I am making my first Princess cruise next month (though I have cruised several other lines especially Celebrity)

When I received my tickets for Princess yesterday I was pleasantly suprised and pleased to read that when booking on board if the cruise I wanted was not yet "open" I could book some other cruise and then change the booking at a later date when the cruise I wanted became "open", also I could get a certificate for an "on board booking bonus" that was good for 4 YEARS.

On Celebrity I either got the "brushoff" and was told to wait until booking became "open" or if I managed to pry a certificate out of the Cruise Consultant it was only good for 28 DAYS from date of issue.

I think that most of the staff on board Celebrity are helpful and hard working , but must say that Customer Service in Miami/ Cruise Consultant/"Hostess" types do tend to be less than helpful,

You know, it is interesting how consumers loved Renaissance - but Renaissance really set the travel agency community back a bit. Were you one of the agents that had to give back commissions in the bankruptcy procession? I sure knew a lot that did.
Actually the company I worked for when this happened had a couple of problems: 1-the cruise line would approve special discounted rates and give cabin assignments and then with less than a week before sailing would call to let us know they couldn't honor the rates as the ship had sold out. I do not mean these rates were booked on a stand by basis at all: they were booked, paid for and docs mailed out. It happened about a half dozen times. For that reason we did stop selling the line; it is the only time any company I have worked for has stopped selling a product. But alass, we got roped into giving them another shot and yes our company did get stuck giving back commissions. Unlike Premier, when they went under; they never paid us period. It sounds awful, but isn't it better not to get the commission than to have to pay it back. The line did have so much to offer, too bad these things have to happen. NMnita

If you would like to know where the R ships are click here http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/cruiselines/renaissance.asp

It's a little out of date R5 is now Oceania's Nautica. Delphin sold R5 to Oceania

R6 and R7, owned by Pullmantur a Spanish line, are the only two ships left not owner by Oceania or Princess.

Pullmantur is operating well, so I doubt they'll be selling.

Archived