Seattle for Dummies!

junglecat

Help! 

We've cruised for years but always to the Caribbean so I could talk all day about Florida departures.  Seattle is a first for us, so we know NOTHING!   I don't even know the name of the port!  

We'd like something that has shuttle (free hopefully) from airport to hotel, and somewhat close to the port.  It will most likely also need to be late shuttle due to our schedules.  We will be in Seattle only to sleep and catch the ship so we don't need to be near any tourist attractions.  Just a nice, clean, safe and somewhat reasonable hotel for a few hours to sleep before our cruise.  My guess is we'll be arriving late due to our work schedules and flights.  We don't cruise until May of 2024 but I'd like to get as much planning and things paid for in advance as I can.  

Thanks all!  Any other Seattle & Alaska advice is always welcome.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, junglecat said:

Help! 

We've cruised for years but always to the Caribbean so I could talk all day about Florida departures.  Seattle is a first for us, so we know NOTHING!   I don't even know the name of the port!  

We'd like something that has shuttle (free hopefully) from airport to hotel, and somewhat close to the port.  It will most likely also need to be late shuttle due to our schedules.  We will be in Seattle only to sleep and catch the ship so we don't need to be near any tourist attractions.  Just a nice, clean, safe and somewhat reasonable hotel for a few hours to sleep before our cruise.  My guess is we'll be arriving late due to our work schedules and flights.  We don't cruise until May of 2024 but I'd like to get as much planning and things paid for in advance as I can.  

Hello!  What cruise line you are sailing on with determine which port it leaves from.  We have two here in Seattle.  Who will you be sailing with?

Welcome to the Seattle Homeport boards.  You will love Alaska!

Unless you are staying at an airport hotel that offers a shuttle service, expect to use a taxi or Uber/Lyft to get to your hotel, and to the port.

As mentioned, there are 2 cruise ports in Seattle:  Pier 66 that NCL sails from, which is located along the Seattle waterfront.  And Pier 91, just outside the DT Seattle area, where most of the ships sail from: Royal, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, Carnival.  There are no hotels close to Pier 91, which is just used seasonal for Alaska cruises.

• Like 1

Ok, so my top 3 pieces of advice - learned over 5 Alaska sailings.

1. plan to arrive the day before. You just never know about airlines these days. The ship will leave without you, and then you will be responsible to get yourself to the next port, which will be 2 days into your cruise. 

2. once you decide which line you are cruising on, choose your hotel and book it EARLY! I recommend booking as soon as your dates are available to book. These will likely be your best prices. It's simple supply and demand for Seattle hotels. I usually track my bookings every week or two just to see prices. I have never seen a hotel price go down once I have booked it. (You can also book through one of the big box stores that starts with the 3rd letter of the alphabet). 

If you stay at the airport, there are many properties that have a free shuttle from airport to the hotel, but not to the pier. If you stay down town, you may be able to walk to the pier (if Pier 66) but you will still need to get downtown. Either way, you will pay to get downtown. There are lots of options. You can ride share, taxi, or take a paid shuttle, even take the light rail from the airport, whatever works for you. 

3. Rental car: if you decide to come in early (which I highly recommend), you should book your rental car as early as possible. Again, supply and demand, and book with that same big box store. Also keep in mind that you will likely have more luggage than you would for a Caribbean cruise, so book the rental car accordingly. I often share this story - we arrived in Seward at the end of our cruise from Vancouver. I had booked a mini van for 4 of us, as my husband was pulling up so we could load our luggage, we witnessed another Dad looking bewildered as he was pulling up in a Toyota Camry. For 2 people, this is normally fine. This family also had a mom and 3 large older teenage/young adult college age boys who all looked like linebackers who were going to get into this Toyota Camry, with a very large duffle, 2 full size suitcases, 2 carryons and 5 loaded backpacks. It was a sight to behold watching Dad play tetris with the luggage, and then everyone pile in, barely able to see out the windows because mom and brothers were all holding carryon and backpacks piled high. Book the car that you will NEED, not just based on price. 

As for Alaska advice itself:

1. Prices for excursions are high. Sticker shock high. You get what you pay for. A beach excursion in the Caribbean is easy and inexpensive because there are so many beaches. Alaska excursion season is very short (April to October) and it's expensive to live there, so the operators have to make most of their living in a short period of time. Plus, fuel costs, maintenance costs, insurance, all the things add up. Book a bucket list excursion that you cannot do anywhere else, and enjoy it. All of the ports are walkable, and you can find enough things to do there. You will also find folks at the pier or downtown areas offering last minute tours. Remember, it's Alaska, so in my opinion way safer than some of the Caribbean ports. 

2. Pack layers. You will need short sleeve shirts and at least one pair of shorts. We experienced 85* in Juneau and also in Fairbanks in 2019. Bring long sleeve and a hoodie or fleece. You may also need a rain resistant jacket. Only need heavy boots if you are glacier landing or hiking. There are 100 shops in each port that will sell you warmer clothing (plan to buy a souvenir afterall), but don't generally carry shorts. Don't forget sunglasses, hats, and an eye mask. Summer sailings have long periods of daylight, and it doesn't really get dark in June/July.

3. Bring the best camera you can manage. More pixels are better. Make sure you are familiar with all the settings and practice using it if it's new. Cellphones do a great job taking photos, but you may want something more. Same with binoculars if you want to scan the shore for wildlife.

4. Yes, you can see whales off the side of the ship, but it's not guaranteed. Keep your eyes peeled and be looking. 

5. There are no best cruise lines or best dates to sail. Any line can get you there, just depends on what you want in a ship. For me, Alaska is the key, I don't have much opinion about the ship really. Kids will want all the latest and greatest of course. The best dates are subjective to you. Want fewer kids, sale in May and September/October. Have kids, then take advantage of the kids clubs. You will enjoy your break from each other. The weather can be warm in May and freezing in July. It just depends on the week. 

6. If you can swing it, book the balcony. If you can't, then plan to be out on deck as much as possible. I'd rather have an inside cabin and get 2 weeks vs a suite and only 1 week. You do you, no shame in any cabin category. 

7. My final advice: prepare  yourself to fall in love and want to go again and again and again. We board our 6th Alaska sailing in a few weeks. I am just as or even more excited as I was for the first sailing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A comment from someone who lives in Alaska and who has been to SE Alaska a number of times (not just cruises) I hope that  @jamminlion really meant to type water-PROOF outer layer in their point #2..  Water resistant is not going to be adequate.  And be prepared -- if it is pouring rain you "may" not need a waterproof outer layer -- it will be necessary.

After nine trips to Alaska, getting ready to go again, this is the best advice I have read. Especially the part about "falling in love". Each experience is different, but every day is special.

We just stayed at the Country Inn & Suites by Radisson by SEATAC the night before our cruise and it was great...24 hour airport shuttle and great breakfast in the morning. 

Rooms were clean and service was great; we then used Seattle Express the next morning to drive us to Pier 91.

Edited by SuzieQ521
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 7:00 AM, junglecat said:

Help! 

Which cruise line are you sailing with?  We are going to Alaska on the Celebrity Edge in May of 24.  
another thing to consider if you haven’t booked yet is that only 3 cruise lines go to Glacier Bay.  I didn’t realize this when I booked or I might have gone with another line. (Celebrity doesn’t go to glacier bay).

since you do not have an ETA, except "late" I would suggest booking a hotel downtown and using Lyft /Uber to get there.  That puts you in the downtown core for your embark.  You will face much less traffic anxiety getting there ( again Uber Lyft) than on a weekday commute, which in Seattle can be pretty much all day.  That gives you time to walk to Pike Place Market and have breakfast in one of the iconic cafes; Lowells