OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE JUNE 2023

morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

"I would be surprised if MSC loses any staff to US lines, presume it goes the other way." 

Let us not forget, It has been reported in past threads that MSC service staff have mentioned a preference for US-based routes, because a higher ratio of American passengers means more guests open to cash tipping.

It not so farfetched to suppose a cruise line with an even greater percentage of American cruisers than MSC (and the likelihood of more added tips) would be tempting to an MSC service staffer.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It is so confusing. Heard it both ways. Wait staff say MSC wages are 1/2 that of RCCL ? Yet management are fleeing the other lines and flocking to MSC?

No confusion from my perspective. For years my employer had two entirely different formulas for computing annual bonus eligibility and the percentage, should a bonus be awarded. One was for mid-level management and above. The other for those in the trenches. The leadership folks did pretty well under those rubrics.

It was only during the height of the labor crunch that a single system was put in place for all bonuses. Furthermore, it favors the hourly folks because overtime is now included in the bonus formula.

All of which is to say a company can compensate their tiers of employees to wildly different levels of those employees' satisfaction.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, no1talks said:

All of which is to say a company can compensate their tiers of employees to wildly different levels of those employees' satisfaction.

Ran into Hotel Director Yannis last night and while every other staff member does not know where they will be placed after their contracts expire, we brought up the new MSC ship World America and he exclaimed, "It's mine !".

• Like 1

On the subject of disgruntled employees, we talked a member of the entertainment team on our most recent cruise. She had worked for MSC for a number of years and said pre pandemic they were great to work for. She had only been with the current ship for a few weeks but said the management was now terrible, they were supposed to get a 20% pay increase and were only getting 6%, management doesn’t listen to the staff and only Italians get promoted. She said she used to love her job but now her and most of the entertainment team just do what they are required to do and that’s it.

No way of knowing how much of this is true of course.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great review! DW and I are booked for our first Yacht Club experience in October. Have one question. What time do they close the YC hot tub in the evening? We like to hot tub under the stars.

53 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm married but I should never accept that she decided that I could only eat meat once a week!

You can huff and puff all you want, but you will never blow 'her' house down, it is built out of pure determination. Wait 50 years and get back to me.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 3

I'm enjoying reading about your experience! We sailed in a YC1 on Seaside in 2018 to celebrate a milestone birthday. We had a great experience overall, despite the fact that it was a holiday sailing and the YC was at capacity. We're hoping to repeat the experience over Christmas or NYE next year and are anxiously awaiting the release of Caribbean sailings from FL for that timeframe. Ocean Cay was not complete when we sailed, and we're very much looking forward to visiting. Thanks for sharing. Your report has been interesting and informative!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Dgshooter said:

Thanks for the great review! DW and I are booked for our first Yacht Club experience in October. Have one question. What time do they close the YC hot tub in the evening? We like to hot tub under the stars.

Get a RS/OS. They have 24 hr tubs.

40 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Add to this "nightmare" the prospects of an even bigger World America with 579? YC guests like these multiplied. 

Ideas are being bandied about that there is no way 700 guests(Explora) can be accommodated adequately or 579 (WofA) at Ocean House. So, perhaps no meal services at Ocean House, just drinks. Have to return to ship for lunch.

Perhaps they will find a way to accommodate that many guests.

20 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Then there are the regular interlopers that get in from the Aurea experience from Top 19 sun deck that just take these stairs up to the Yacht Club One Pool Deck located on the Starboard side next to the hot tub.

IMG_2876.jpg

On the ship you're on?

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The elevator over ride key broke down on Wednesday. Was told it happens every week. Bummer.

That would be disappointing.

1 hour ago, Dgshooter said:

What time do they close the YC hot tub in the evening? We like to hot tub under the stars.

Asked bar tender at Pool deck, he said 8 to  8:30.(getting up from my cabana and going over to the bar to ask was the most exercise I got this morning. Thank you.)

Edited by morpheusofthesea

40 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Then there are the regular interlopers that get in from the Aurea experience from Top 19 sun deck that just take these stairs up to the Yacht Club One Pool Deck located on the Starboard side next to the hot tub.

IMG_2876.jpg

Surprised they haven't somehow blocked that off by now. Regulars? You've seen the same interlopers more than once?

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Not before they had their fill of lobster.

They deserve a big bill for that lobster!  

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

Surprised they haven't somehow blocked that off by now. Regulars? You've seen the same interlopers more than once?

I agree. Is it like this on all the ships?