Best Time To Buy?

palmsandpines

38 minutes ago, palmsandpines said:

So we have some friends thinking about joining us on a cruise in September of this year. Is there a time when typically cruise fares go down? Summer, 30 days before a cruise? July 4th? Thanks! 

Cruises sometimes go down in price right after final payment is due.  I once waited for an upcoming 4th of July sale, and the sale price was higher than the prior price.

Unfortunately, there is nothing "typical" these days about fares going up or down as the cruise industry and travel industry in general are definitely not in typical times.  

My best advice if you want to risk it, would be to check the availability of cabins you are interested in.  If there are a lot of open cabins then prices may drop after final payment is due.  If the opposite is true, I would expect them to continue to rise.  Right now many cruises are selling at capacity (and in fact, some at over capacity!).  I'm not saying you may not find a deal somewhere, but they are rare.  Prices are, overall, much higher than they have ever been.  Lastly, some of the large cannot-be-named-here travel agencies have sales at specific times like Memorial Day, or 4th of July.  

52 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

The best time to book a cruise is when the itinerary if first released.  I do that often and have never found a lower price no matter how many sales they've had after that!  Never been able to lower my original price.

Then, is it known ahead time when, generally speaking, new cruises (and prices) are initially announced?

- Joel

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately, there is nothing "typical" these days about fares going up or down as the cruise industry and travel industry in general are definitely not in typical times.  

My best advice if you want to risk it, would be to check the availability of cabins you are interested in.  If there are a lot of open cabins then prices may drop after final payment is due.  If the opposite is true, I would expect them to continue to rise.  Right now many cruises are selling at capacity (and in fact, some at over capacity!).  I'm not saying you may not find a deal somewhere, but they are rare.  Prices are, overall, much higher than they have ever been.  Lastly, some of the large cannot-be-named-here travel agencies have sales at specific times like Memorial Day, or 4th of July.  

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like they wait until the 17th and take a look for best choice. 

17 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

The best time is when you find a price you're happy with. Then you can keep monitoring to see if the price goes down.

I was able to get a great price and perks on my last cruise by doing just that! Thanks

Like most of the travel industry, X has supply and demand-based dynamic pricing (by room type)

If there is considerable availability for your room type than the pricing will progressively decrease the closer you get to the sailing so there usually isn't a drastic price drop from 31 days to 30 days (for example)

1 hour ago, lienf said:

Depending how long they wait to book, the airfare price may more than offset any cruise savings. 

You are quite right--assuming that they need to fly.  OP is from the Seattle area and it will be occurring during the Alaska cruising season.  So I am guessing not.

Edited by mahdnc