NextCruise credit about the expire!

6 minutes ago, tinawhitecar said:

I have a Next Cruise certificate about to expire.  I am not ready to commit to  a cruise.  Is there any work around?  Could it be extended? 

Is it a Next Cruise certificate, or a Future Cruise Credit? They have different rules and expiration clocks. In the old days you would find a cruise as far out as you could that you would like to sail, and apply an NCC it to that. I believe FCCs have to be applied to a cruise sailing within 12 months. With the way they are "improving" things recently, who knows whether that would even work any more.

I believe you can still transfer the certificate to someone else.

There are two time limits placed on future cruise certificates issued by NextCruise.

60 days to get OBC with a booking

12 months until it expires.

I am not aware of any way to get around the 12 month limitation.  

It can be used by someone else so if you know anyone such as a family member you could use it to book them a cruise and then how you deal with the financials is between you two.   

2 hours ago, tinawhitecar said:

I have a Next Cruise certificate about to expire.  I am not ready to commit to  a cruise.  Is there any work around?  Could it be extended? 

Here's an idea. Haven't done it myself, but it could work.

You can pick the lowest cost sailing you can find way out (let's say 2025) and chose that as your "placeholder" booking. Purchase the RC travel protection for that booking. Wait until you know what sailing you want to book, and at that point cancel the placeholder booking and obtain 90% of the deposit via FCC to apply towards your new chosen sailing. You do have to put down some more money for the RC travel protection ($78 for the low cost sailing I found), but you end up getting back $180 that you would have otherwise forfeited.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Could the OP book a fully refundable cruise; then change the booking once he/she decides on a cruise they want ?  It may cost $100 for the change, but it’s better than losing the future booking.

NC certificates (open bookings) are $100pp NRD.

Booking then, moving will have a $100pp penalty.

So, losing or moving ends up with the same loss of $100pp.

Edited by Another_Critic
Clarified certificate
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Here's an idea. Haven't done it myself, but it could work.

You can pick the lowest cost sailing you can find way out (let's say 2025) and chose that as your "placeholder" booking. Purchase the RC travel protection for that booking. Wait until you know what sailing you want to book, and at that point cancel the placeholder booking and obtain 90% of the deposit via FCC to apply towards your new chosen sailing. You do have to put down some more money for the RC travel protection ($78 for the low cost sailing I found), but you end up getting back $180 that you would have otherwise forfeited.

See my response to RFerrington.

Just now, Another_Critic said:

See my response to RFerrington.

I'm aware of the policy which is why I made the suggestion as described. Book a placeholder booking, purchase RC travel protection on that booking, cancel and obtain 90% FCC to apply towards a new booking. In that way you don't lose out on the full $200.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I'm aware of the policy which is why I made the suggestion as described. Book a placeholder booking, purchase RC travel protection on that booking, cancel and obtain 90% FCC to apply towards a new booking. In that way you don't lose out on the full $200.

I see your point, and I'm all for saving money, but is it really worth all the hassle to recoup at most $102?

Plus, if they end up not taking a cruise before the FCC expires, they are out even more money.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2

I think the problem that the OP is facing goes to show that it's more beneficial to do a "placeholder" confirmed booking with a refundable deposit fare if you don't know which sailing you want at the time rather than paying for a book later booking. Once you find a sailing you want, then change the onboard booking to that sailing. You can always switch from refundable to non-refundable and when you switch to the sailing and you'll retain the nextcruise OBC as long as you keep the same reservation number. That's my understanding at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I think the problem that the OP is facing goes to show that it's more beneficial to do a "placeholder" confirmed booking with a refundable deposit fare if you don't know which sailing you want at the time rather than paying for a book later booking. Once you find a sailing you want, then change the onboard booking to that sailing. You can always switch from refundable to non-refundable and when you switch to the sailing and you'll retain the nextcruise OBC as long as you keep the same reservation number. That's my understanding at least.

However, a refundable booking made on board requires a full deposit and you get reduced OBC.  Unless you know they exist the next cruise staff won't let you know about them. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

7 days in a balcony goes to $75 from $100.  Insides and OV go to $25 from $50 

Not terrible considering with a book later booking you're putting $200 down for nothing and lose it if you don't name a sailing in 12 months. Celebrity has a much better policy where the deposit for open onboard bookings is refunded after the booking window expires.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

However, a refundable booking made on board requires a full deposit and you get reduced OBC.  Unless you know they exist the next cruise staff won't let you know about them. 

I thought my OBC was reduced for solo, not due to refundable booking.  Another benefit to book solo.  🙂

19 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Same reduction if A, B, or C?

A. Book NRD w/ 150% solo supplement

B. Book refundable

C. Book refundable w/ 150% solo supplement

Nope.  Assuming a 7 day cruise with $100 obc

A. $75

B. $75

C. Should be 75% of $75 or $56.25 .

That being said, next cruise folks have been known to make mistakes. 

• Thanks 1

At this point just book something.

You are about to lose the $200 deposit if the future cruise expires.  Might as well convert it to something that you might want if for no reason but to postpone the loss of $200.  Who knows, maybe you will end up sailing on that cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1