New to Celebrity, considering 2024 on Infinity

Sujormik

Hello, doing some preliminary legwork. Typically we cruise mainly for ports and don’t have loyalty to any line thus far (we’ve sailed on Windstar, Azamara and Oceania).  We have never done a large ship like Celebrity and are hesitant in large part because of crowds.  We like an itinerary on the Infinity in September 2024 (week after Labor so not expecting tons of families onboard as school will have just started).  I would like to know what distinguishes Celebrity and Infinity.  Would likely do Aqua level as we are accustomed to larger cabins and mostly adult only ships. What’s the advantage of Aqua vs concierge? How bad are lines for meals, bars, activities, etc with Aqua? What do you like and dislike most about Celebrity? How would you advise your best friend?

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

Hello, doing some preliminary legwork. Typically we cruise mainly for ports and don’t have loyalty to any line thus far (we’ve sailed on Windstar, Azamara and Oceania).  We have never done a large ship like Celebrity and are hesitant in large part because of crowds.  We like an itinerary on the Infinity in September 2024 (week after Labor so not expecting tons of families onboard as school will have just started).  I would like to know what distinguishes Celebrity and Infinity.  Would likely do Aqua level as we are accustomed to larger cabins and mostly adult only ships. What’s the advantage of Aqua vs concierge? How bad are lines for meals, bars, activities, etc with Aqua? What do you like and dislike most about Celebrity? How would you advise your best friend?

Thanks!

Aqua Class passengers eat in a private restaurant, Blu.  That should cut down on the crowd/line factor you are worried about.

I have been on Infinity a couple of times but never in Aqua Class.  However my understanding is that the Aqua cabins on Deck 11 (Cat A1) are more desirable then the ones on Deck 9 (Cat A2).  

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

Oh, Dear. In my opinion, Infinity is a very old ship that needs lots of attention. I have been on her several times, but am now trying to avoid her for those reasons. If you are trying Celebrity for the first time, I think a voyage on Infinity might turn you off to the line, especially given the lines you have sailed with. Again, just my opinion.

• Like 1

Yes, Infinity's last scheduled update got put on pause due to the pandemic so it's one of two ships in that class that haven't been given a makeover with no idea as to when that will happen in the future.

Aqua Class gives you access to Blu for breakfast and dinner, and it's a smaller dining room with theoretically better service.  Concierge is a veranda with some extra perks but not many to speak of.    Assigned dining for that level is main dining room.  The difference in restaurant access is the main difference between those two.  Both rooms are the same size.  Aqua Class also gets you Persian Garden access but that facility on M-Class (Millennium Series) ships isn't what they tend to show in the brochures (pretty underwhelming).  Everything else for both rooms will pretty much be you mingling with the hoi polloi.  Neither gives you exclusive priority at general ship facilities outside of the stated amenities. 

A link to the amenities associated with the room types (keep in mind that Infinity is Millennium Series when reading):

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-infinity/accommodations

Cruise Critic has a section of ship photos:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/celebrity-infinity-196/

If you haven't read this recent thread, she gives some good overviews of her experience in Aqua and Concierge as well as food pictures and daily program sheets. 

We sailed on the Infinity last October and thought she was in great shape. We had a wonderful cruise with the food, entertainment and service all exceeding expectations. Infinity is a perfect sized ship with a capacity of 2,000, we also liked the traditional promenade deck with great views of the sea from a deck chair. 

Edited by MISTER 67

If you have only done Windstar, Azamara and Oceania , you will probably be disappointed with Infinity , because you will be slumming it in AQU or concierge

You probably should look at a Suite , the PHs are the best .

I personally like M &S class ships 

Also never seen many children on a Celebrity ship , but we have only done cruises longer than 9 days , and never in the Caribbean 

• Like 1

In these few posts you have gotten some excellent responses, sensible and valid comments in support of sailing on Infinity, and some not as much. But that is what one likes to read when asking for information. Post #5 makes a great suggestion. Indeed, Norwaylady provides very informative and enjoyable live reviews. Do check out the link provided. 

We sailed on Infinity in February of this year, our first time on this ship. She is certainly a seasoned lady and shows some wear from the many wonderful cruises that she has provided to so many over so many years. For us, the itinerary was very special and with one minor exception the 14-night cruise was exceptional. We are Aqua cruisers and really enjoy Blu. For whatever reason on this cruise the service and the food were not as spot on as on other sailings on other ships. Certainly not an unpleasant dining experience and one has to realize that on occasion these things happen on all ships. I would add to that, this cruise was in between a cruise on Equinox in December '22 and Beyond in May '23, both in Aqua and some of the best food and service that we have enjoyed. Would we cruise on Infinity again, absolutely!

Being used to smaller ships and less people, at first, perhaps during boarding, it might seem that the ship will be too crowded. I guarantee once Infinity sets sail, things and people will settle in, providing an enjoyable experience. Keep an open mind as you consider what fellow posters have to say. In the end, make up your own mind basing that decision on what feels right for you.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Thanks!

Noticed your posting. We are sailing with you on Marina.  We have sailed on Celebrity many times.  We are elite plus.  Celebrity does a nice cruise.  Ships are big.  At times, you may experience crowds.  With 2000+ guests, it is huge compared to Windstar, Azamara, and Oceania.  On a big ship, there are lots of activities.  Smaller ships offer fewer options.  Smaller ships are less crowded. Windstar and Oceania have excellent service and fabulous  food.  Celebrity has good food.  Aqua class has spa type menus and a separate dining room for breakfast and dinner.  Lunch is in the buffet except for sea days.  We tried aqua class once. We thought menus were ok, but liked main dining room menus better. We also didn’t like our aqua class cabin above the buffet.  If you book aqua class, book on deck 9.  Those cabins are quieter and are shaded. We prefer concierge cabins on deck 8.   Infinity is a Millenium class ship.  Last time we were on Infinity in 2013, it needed a renovation.  Not sure of its condition.  We did sail on a Millenium class ship, Summit June 2022 after renovations. Summit was nicely renovated.  

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Noticed your posting. We are sailing with you on Marina.  We have sailed on Celebrity many times.  We are elite plus.  Celebrity does a nice cruise.  Ships are big.  At times, you may experience crowds.  With 2000+ guests, it is huge compared to Windstar, Azamara, and Oceania.  On a big ship, there are lots of activities.  Smaller ships offer fewer options.  Smaller ships are less crowded. Windstar and Oceania have excellent service and fabulous  food.  Celebrity has good food.  Aqua class has spa type menus and a separate dining room for breakfast and dinner.  Lunch is in the buffet except for sea days.  We tried aqua class once. We thought menus were ok, but liked main dining room menus better. We also didn’t like our aqua class cabin above the buffet.  If you book aqua class, book on deck 9.  Those cabins are quieter and are shaded. We prefer concierge cabins on deck 8.   Infinity is a Millenium class ship.  Last time we were on Infinity in 2013, it needed a renovation.  Not sure of its condition.  We did sail on a Millenium class ship, Summit June 2022 after renovations. Summit was nicely renovated.  

Thanks, I just replied to your O post about mahj! I’m Sue, hope we meet next week.😉

You all have been so gracious and helpful, thanks SOOO much!  I will surely look into all the suggestions as we start to consider next year.  Wish I had the forethought and freedom to plan 2 years out!

Guest 4-2-N-8
22 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Thanks!

I am in a similar boat. We like locations and destinations. 

However, my S.O. gets seasick on small ships, so we have been air/land travelers almost exclusively. 

In attempt to accommodate my desire to be on the water, we tried a big ship in hopes it would afford smooth(er) sailing.

We sailed on the Celebrity Beyond earlier this year for a 7-night Caribbean cruise in an Edge Villa. This was just a short trial run to see if it will work for my S.O.

It was super stable and she loved it!

Now, we're headed to Rome in August for an 11-night Eastern Mediterranean in an Iconic suite on the Beyond.

However, would never consider a Royal Suite or Penthouse on Beyond, due to a terrible balcony overhang from deck above and no hot tub on balcony.

If you are accustomed to the lines you've noted, i believe you will not be let down by an Edge Villa or Iconic suite in the Retreat on the Beyond.

Safe travels and good luck.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

I’ve been in Aqua twice and will be again in December.  Once I had to wait for a table for maybe 10 minutes.  Only one time.  There were no lines to speak of except the usual getting on/off the ship.