Can not see any shore excursions listed for Yokohama, Japan for Diamond Princess except debark tours, please help. Thank you.

gam888

We have booked 3 back to back cruises with Diamond Princess for August and September. The reason why we booked 3 shorter segments is because the longer durations were sold out. I checked my Personalizer for shore excursions for the day the ship is docked in Yokohama during the change over day, and I could only see 2 debarkation tours, ending at the airport. So I double checked the Princess website for the same date, but using one of their longer duration itinerary (15 days) with Yokohama in the middle of the itinerary. I could still only see the same 2 debarkation tours. I find it very unusual that Princess would not offer any other regular excursions for Yokohama for  passengers who are still staying on the ship. I called Princess and spoke with an agent and he said that they were the only 2 excursions (the debark tours ending at the airport) that he could see listed on the website as well. So my question is:

(A) For the folks who have sailed with Diamond Princess on an itinerary to Japan, if they had Yokohama in the middle of their sailing, were there any regular excursions (if they indeed exist) that they could book with Princess, since they are not debarking? 

(B) For the folks who have done back to back sailings, with Yokohama as the end/start ports, were you able to also book the regular excursions (if they indeed exist) with Princess, even though you are doing a back to back sailing?

(C) For the folks who have done back to back sailings, on the change over day when the ship is docked in Yokohama, do you have to go through the whole custom, check in process again as if you are embarking for the first time? If we want to just leave and do an excursion with the ship or do some independent sightseeing, can we leave in the morning like 9am, and get back say 3pm. Or we have to come back around Noon to re-check ourselves though custom again?

Any other info on the Diamond Princess is welcome. Especially the entertainment, the type of music the bands play, dancing opportunity.. etc.

Thank you in advance.

We’re on a B2B on the Diamond in July and we also checked and there are no tours other than those associated with an airport transfer on our transition day either. Our plan to visit the excursion desk once we board to get on a waitlist just in case they decide to offer a few. 

My information is from July 2019, so may not be relevant now, but here is what I recall. We did a B2B and Yokohama was our start/end/changeover day port. There were no excursions offered for those staying on the Diamond that I can recall. We did not really look at excursions thru Princess though. We got off and did our own thing/walked around a lot. Customs will depend on the port before you stop in Yokohama. In our case we stopped in Taiwan before Yokohama, so we did have customs, but it was nothing that took long. I am not sure if I am recalling this correctly, but I think we went to a room on the Diamond to go through customs separately with others who were on a B2B and staying on board. We received a little piece of paper that said "In Transit" and a letter with instructions the day before the change over/turnaround day that explained everything and their process. I do remember that the piece of paper that said In Transit was so we could by pass the check-in lines, so you do not have to go through that whole process again. We got off and came back when ever we wanted before the sail away time as far as I can recall- we did not have a plan, so we came back whenever we were finished walking around.

Obviously a lot has changed since 2019, but we really enjoyed our 16 days on the Diamond. We had a great cruise director at the time and there was no dine my way, we picked a time and ate in the MDR at the same time everyday. We became great friends with the people we were sitting next to as well, which made it better. I will say we rarely came across anyone from the US or Canada (or North America in general really). The majority on the cruise were from Japan (of course), Australia, and New Zeeland. A lot of the trivia activities/entertainment shows, etc. were repeated the second half of the cruise as well as some of the MDR menus (we did not mind, gave a chance to try multiple things). The buffet had a ramen bar everyday where you could make your own and there were a variety of dishes. Not sure if those things would be the same now for you or not.

Edited by ebw24
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Diamond in March/April.  I did not have a b2b.  But, if you decide to get off the ship, you will need to go through customs.

Waited for disembarkation time

Medallion off the ship

Picked up luggage

Check out through Customs/Immigrations (pretty much just walked through).

I would guess at that point, you are free to leave the port or wait in some in-transit seating area.

As far as excursions, there were none except the bus to the airport for those flying out AFTER 6 pm.  My flight was at 5.  So spent 11 - 5 at the airport.

Depending on which port you arrive at...Daikoku is far outside of Yokohama (20 - 25 minutes by Taxi).  If you are at Osanbashi Pier, you are within walking distance of lots of things.  Queen's Square is a huge 5 story shopping plaza.  Yamashita Park is a lovely free garden.  There's a Ramen Museum and Cup of Noodles Museum.  Lots to do each turn around day.  I would not try to get to Tokyo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stayed in Yokohama, 3 days prior to cruise.  Took a tri to Sankien gardens, very beautiful, walked long waterfront. Went to a large shopping centre and ate like a local.  Also went to Tokyo for one day but that wouldn’t be in your plans, probably too long a time, same for Disneyland.

Google what to do in Yokohama, I found taxis reasonable,  I hope they still have the lace covers on the seats.

it was easy to get around, the red brick house was a shopping, eating venue, there is a fabric museum and a noodle museum.  
As an extra I found the Japanese people extremely friendly and helpful, most had a working knowledge of English as opposed to my total lack of Japanese.

• Like 2

There is a bus stop near Yamashita Park and/or ChinaTown to take a bus to https://www.sankeien.or.jp.  We spent about 3 hours during peak Cherry Blossom Season.  It was well worth the rain and mud to visit this park.  

I AM glad and fortunate to have a relative take us around by train and bus.  But the people of Japan are wonderful.  Considering your time restraint, I wouldn't venture far.

Japan is known for their Dollar Stores.  With the exchange rate being so good, Daiso on the mainland is $.175 and less than a dollar in Japan.  

Princess was running a free shuttle from Daikoku Pier to Yamashita Park and back to the ship.  Don't forget to try their foods:  Ramen, Udon, Sushi, Sashimi, Tempura, etc.  There's even local foods from Hawaii:  Leonard's Malasadas, Eggs and Things, etc.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for replying my post. I am preparing for the situation if Princess does not offer any excursions from Yokohama to Tokyo, if we should spend 3,4 hours doing something in Yokohama. I am doing my math, if we still plan on going to Tokyo, let's say we leave the ship by 9am. Take a train or bus to Tokyo, by the time we get there would be 10am? Then we have about 4 hours to spend. If we take a train or bus from Tokyo back to Yokohama by 2pm. We should get back to the port by 3pm. The ship sails at 5pm. We don't want to cut it too close, in case we miss that particular train or bus, and need to take the next one. So just wonder if 4 hours is worth the journey into Tokyo. We have already seen the Meiji Shrine and the Sensoji Temple before this trip. So We just want to visit the Imperial Palace in Tokyo this time, and whatever something else we haven't seen.  

So if we do something in Yokohama, where do we take a bus to the Sankeien Garden? We would like to visit China Town as well, it looks like it's walking distance from the Osanbashi Pier? There seems to be some other attractions within walking distance from the pier. There is also some old ship there?

We do have two change over days from our back to back cruises (we are doing 3). So perhaps we can spend one day in Yokohama, and one day in Tokyo? 

Any suggestions are welcome. Just have to keep the time frame in mind, in terms of transportation time and method of getting to Tokyo from Yokohama. 

We wouldn't mind visiting one of these cats or dogs café where you can pet some animals. We went to one in Tokyo the last time, is there one in Yokohama?

Thank you in advance.

How many days before the cruise are you arriving?  I would do Tokyo on one of those days.  What time do you fly out?  Maybe do the ship to airport plus tour excursion?  Too many ifs for a short turn around day in Tokyo, in my opinion.

I can't help you with the bus route.  I was just a follower.  My relative took care of the tokens/transfers, reading the signs, looking at bus schedule, translations, etc (although you could do it on just the bus).  Coming back from the gardens, the bus dropped us off in Chinatown and we got off (one stop too early for Yamashita Park).  The bus going to the park dropped us off in a neighborhood and we had to zig zag our way to the park.  Might be easier just to take a taxi???  Lots of taxis waiting for pick ups outside the garden gates.  It took us about 30-45 minutes by bus.  

It was a very worthwhile trip out to the gardens.  Please keep in mind that August and September will be uncomfortably hot (not warm).  That might slow you down.  

We are thinking of arriving 2 days before the cruise starts. But Our flight does not arrive in Hanada until 3:40pm. So I figure that by the time we check through custom, pick up our bags, would be close to 5pm. By the time we arrive in our hotel in Tokyo, would be 6pm? So we will only have time for dinner. Probably won't do much after dinner and would just go to bed, since we just got off a 13 hours flight. So that means we will have 1 full day to see Tokyo the next day. Then the day after we will have maybe 3 hours in the morning after breakfast to see Tokyo a bit more, and then head to Yokohama to board the ship in early afternoon. 

1 hour ago, gam888 said:

We are thinking of arriving 2 days before the cruise starts. But Our flight does not arrive in Hanada until 3:40pm. So I figure that by the time we check through custom, pick up our bags, would be close to 5pm. By the time we arrive in our hotel in Tokyo, would be 6pm? So we will only have time for dinner. Probably won't do much after dinner and would just go to bed, since we just got off a 13 hours flight. So that means we will have 1 full day to see Tokyo the next day. Then the day after we will have maybe 3 hours in the morning after breakfast to see Tokyo a bit more, and then head to Yokohama to board the ship in early afternoon. 

I had the same time frame.  We actually checked in to the hotel close to 10:30 PM.  Did the gardens the next day before going to the ship the following day.  You will have much more time to go to Tokyo on your full day.  The "train" is near the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama and/or Sheraton Yokohama.  You might be tired, but you won't be as pressured.  It will be much easier to do Yokohama on turn around days.  Lots to see in the area.

We stumbled across the Mazda museum while wandering around Yokohama on a turnaround day.  It would be of interest if there are car buffs in your group.  There is also an art museum in the vicinity, or you can take a ferry ride.  Lots to do.

None of you have said what your cruise date is.  We are on the Oct 31 B2B and I have set up a number of private tours.  If you tried to set up private tours you probably found it difficult to find them.  Right now I have 2 spaces available on an Aomori tour and 2 on a Sakata tour.  If you are interested drop me a line at donald.schoengold41@gmail.com.

On 6/13/2023 at 11:06 AM, gam888 said:

So if we do something in Yokohama, where do we take a bus to the Sankeien Garden? We would like to visit China Town as well, it looks like it's walking distance from the Osanbashi Pier? There seems to be some other attractions within walking distance from the pier. There is also some old ship there?

We took the bus from Yokohama station to go to the gardens. There are several buses that can get you there but it does take a bit of time (20 to 30 min each way depending on traffic). We took the bayside blue line bus which is one of the sightseeing buses because it stops at all the major attractions in Yokohama. There is a tourist info office at Yokohama Station and they were very helpful in helping us figure out which bus to take and where the stop was for that bus.

There is a lot to see in Yokohama. China town is walking distance (a few minutes) from Yamashita Park (which is the park where the Daikoku pier shuttle bus drops you off). Yamashita park itself is very nice and you can walk all along the water to go to World Porters and beyond. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were just in Yokohama (March and April) when we cruised on the Westerdam.  We also spent 12 days in Japan (including 1 night in Yokohama) on our own.  I cannot speak to the Diamond Princess excursion issue, but can assure folks that if you do a little homework, there is plenty you can do on your own.  For example, on one of our visits (turn around day) we took the metro into Tokyo and went to a couple of the neighborhoods (via Metro).  On another port day in Yokohama we grabbed the metro over to the train station and took the train to Kamakura (where they have the most amazing outdoor Budhia).  On a third day in Yokohama we simply walked from the port to Chinatown and later enjoyed the park that is along the water close to the port.  

I do hope that folks going to Japan enjoy the country as much as us.  Do not fear doing some things on your own.  It is a very tourist-friendly country, sparkling clean, and very safe.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1