Wi-Fi Changes & Updates FAQs Published on May 25, 2023

mahdnc

13 hours ago, prmssk said:

Same service, whether you will get a refund or not depends on the price you paid.  If you don't get a letter in your stateroom, I would go to Guest Services and ask about it.

Can you explain to me why you should wait until you get onboard to see if Celebrity gives me OBC?  If there really is only one level of WIFI, why shouldn't everyone just cancel their upgrade purchase before they board?

6 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Can you explain to me why you should wait until you get onboard to see if Celebrity gives me OBC?  If there really is only one level of WIFI, why shouldn't everyone just cancel their upgrade purchase before they board?

There isn’t just one level of WiFi. You just can no longer purchase the lower tier a la cart. Anyone who has AI with an Aqua class or lower stateroom has basic Wi-Fi with slower speeds and limited capabilities unless they upgrade to premium.

(Maybe I misunderstood the comment I was responding to as I thought they were asking about whether with this change the premium Wi-Fi they already upgraded to would be better than premium had been in the past. Nothing has changed in the last month to the speeds of each plan.)

What has changed is the price. So if you upgraded at a higher price than current upgrade prices, according to the FAQ you should get OBC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, prmssk said:

There isn’t just one level of WiFi. You just can no longer purchase the lower tier a la cart. Anyone who has AI with an Aqua class or lower stateroom has basic Wi-Fi with slower speeds and limited capabilities unless they upgrade to premium.

This is the bit that people seem to be misunderstanding, 'Basic' is not going away, it is still going to be part of the AI option for non-suite guests, just will not be able to buy it if you didn't get AI in future.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, Judge56 said:

So if you have basic Wi-Fi through the all included package there isn’t a way to upgrade to premium?  In the cruise planner there is only the option to buy a full premium package.  No longer an option to upgrade to premium.

Yes... if you read the flyer there is a per day charge to update to Premium.

Problems with booking internet at discounted pre cruise pricing

I am trying to purchase wifi package.  Sometimes I get a 10% offer, sometimes 15% and sometimes 20%.  When I get 20% sometimes by the time I get to the page to put in my cc info it jumps back to 10% or 15%.  Today I got all the way through at 20% 2 devices 7 nights and it was showing $286.93.  I clicked purchase and the next page showed I paid $321 for the package with a 10% discount.  So I cancelled.  Does anyone know what is going on with this?

3 hours ago, tschwa2 said:

I am trying to purchase wifi package.  Sometimes I get a 10% offer, sometimes 15% and sometimes 20%.  When I get 20% sometimes by the time I get to the page to put in my cc info it jumps back to 10% or 15%.  Today I got all the way through at 20% 2 devices 7 nights and it was showing $286.93.  I clicked purchase and the next page showed I paid $321 for the package with a 10% discount.  So I cancelled.  Does anyone know what is going on with this?

I have yet to experience or read anything like that before.  Sure sounds crazy.

You may want to call the Captains Club desk to purchase the Wi-Fi.  This also allows you to ask for the Captains Club loyalty discount to be added to it.  You cannot get the CC discount when purchasing online.  

Edited by mahdnc

18 hours ago, tschwa2 said:

Maybe a silly question but are you booking from the US? Could it be a USD AUD sort of thing going on?

No not a currency issue.  I tried calling and after 30+ minutes also trying to use additional Captains club discount, I was told it was glitching the agent said to give it 10-15 minutes and then book online and I would be able to get the sale plus the Captains club discount (which I knew wasn't true).  I tried back later and it looked like it would go all the way through with the $$286.93 fare so I thought I would try calling again.  This time after about 20 minutes the agent insisted that the 10% off the regular package price was the best discount I could get and that he saw no 20% pre cruise discount that was eligible to be combined.  I did get irritated at this point because a simple the CC discount can't be combined would have prevented so much wasted time.  I go back to book online at 20% and again it keeps showing me 20% discount and then sometimes on the next screen goes to 15% discount sometimes stays at 20% but then by the time it makes it into my cart is showing a 10% discount only.  

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2023 at 3:06 PM, Gary72 said:

On my pre planner for Infinity,  it says up to 4 devices for $16.99/day. No mention of basic or premium though text says you can surf the web, etc.

The Infinity has been doing this for a few months, but I'd express a level of caution. We sailed in February on a South American route, and even though we had 4 devices PP, the WiFi was abysmal. 

The ship has been upgraded to Starlink, but the routers and infrastructure on the ship have not been upgraded. When passengers were able to connect to WiFi, it was speedy. However, the vast majority of the time, you weren't able to get connected to the network. Ever. Anywhere, even after repeated attempts.

After a few days of sailing, we realized this happened most often in spaces with more than 10-15 people: the theater, the MDR, any lounge when a bar was open, etc. It was infuriating, and constant. If I had to guess, I'd assume the line just deferred any upgrades of the ship's networks until the vessel is revolutionized, or sold. 

When Starlink was first deployed, folks on the Beyond were posting speeds of 50+mbps.  Now fleetwide, both Premium and Basic are throttled.  Premium seems to be capped at around 5mbps and I'm not sure with basic. Additionally with Basic, assuming they haven't changed this, there are limitations.  You cannot make native Wi-Fi phone calls (with your phone number) and with an iPhone, you can only send/receive texts from other iPhones.  There are 3rd party work arounds such as whatapp, but you're SOL if you're expecting an important phone call or need two-factor authentication to access a site.  Premium does not have these limitations