Miami cruise

Cruiseforever11

Hi we are on the Seascape in December from Miami and would just like some travel advice as never been to Miami before.

What is the best way to get from Miami airport to Downtown/Brickell and cost roughly?

Is the MSC Terminal easy to find and easy to get to from Downtown/Brickell? 

Any other useful advise about Miami that i need to know. 

I think by the time we land it will be around late morning/lunchtime American time.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Cruiseforever11

Agree with @Essiesmom.  Head over to the FL Departures board.  Miami is our least favorite Florida port - often there's a road race or some other distraction on weekend mornings in addition to the maddening traffic in South FL.  However it's obviously doable; just pack some patience 😉

this is  the  Florida Departures forum

We usually take  a taxi from MIA to Brickell

There is also the train  but never  tried that

Loots of restaurants & shops  in the Brickell area or  take the free  trolley or people mover to Bayside  for more things to do & see

https://www.miamigov.com/Transportation-Roadways/Trolley-Information/Get-Trolley-Information-Schedules-and-Maps

https://www.miamidade.gov/transportation-publicworks/metromover-stations.asp

9 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi we are on the Seascape in December from Miami and would just like some travel advice as never been to Miami before.

What is the best way to get from Miami airport to Downtown/Brickell and cost roughly?

Is the MSC Terminal easy to find and easy to get to from Downtown/Brickell? 

Any other useful advise about Miami that i need to know. 

I think by the time we land it will be around late morning/lunchtime American time.

Thank you in advance.

I would taxi or Uber to Brickell. Cost around $30.00 without tip. Then take a taxi or Uber to the port, around $12.00 or so. The taxi drivers will know where your ship is.docked. When you cross over the bridge to Dodge Island you will see the ships lined up. Brickell is a nice area. If you go to Bayside by train at night, be aware of your surroundings, Miami Beach is not for everyone. I think the shopping, restaurants, and art decor buildings are worth seeing.  

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

I would taxi or Uber to Brickell. Cost around $30.00 without tip. Then take a taxi or Uber to the port, around $12.00 or so. The taxi drivers will know where your ship is.docked. When you cross over the bridge to Dodge Island you will see the ships lined up. Brickell is a nice area. If you go to Bayside by train at night, be aware of your surroundings, Miami Beach is not for everyone. I think the shopping, restaurants, and art decor buildings are worth seeing.  

Thank you.

How much do you tip taxi drivers in Miami and do you pay by card or cash. Sorry for the questions as I have never been to main land America so a newbie but not to cruising. I think I will struggle to stay awake miami night time especially after a 9-10hr flight so I doubt very much I will venturing out after dark. 

normal tip for taxi in US is 20%. consider UBER .... is is just as easy and a lil cheaper once you learn how to use the APP but TAXI is also easy and in my experience will take credit card. As port organization goes POM is easy as all the berths are in a single row and not only is there a big electronic sign at the entr' saying who is where ... you can actually SEE the ssips over the terminal building's roofs!

POMmap.thumb.jpg.1982ac429f92e5d5a03e203064d2020f.jpg

image.thumb.png.7f25ff93bba969b642f4fbbbd2c3b169.png

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Some hotels in Brickell area  have a shuttle service to the port 

We were at Hampton Inn pre covid & I think the shuttle was $8 pp  at the time

If it was the Hampton Inn and Suites hotel by Hilton then i hope its a good hotel as that's where I'm staying. I didn't see it had a shuttle bus but bonus if it has. It was one of the few hotels that did breakfast as well which was what I wanted. Really looking forward to my stay and cruise.

53 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

If it was the Hampton Inn and Suites hotel by Hilton then i hope its a good hotel as that's where I'm staying. I didn't see it had a shuttle bus but bonus if it has. It was one of the few hotels that did breakfast as well which was what I wanted. Really looking forward to my stay and cruise.

We have stayed there  a few times pre covid

the check in is on the 6th floor  I think 

They did have the shuttle sign up on the main floor 

Nice place,  good location

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flymia said:

Hampton Inn Brickell is a fantastic location. Unless you are one person a shuttle is usually more expensive than a tax/uber as the port is very close to Brickell. 

I'm pleased Its a good area. I wanted to be as near to the port as possible so I don't have to rush around in the morning. I don't know how strict msc are with their check in times in America but here on the other side of the pond they don't seem that bothered and at the moment my check in is a 2pm (but that could change nearer the time!)

Thank you for your information.

We're booked for the Hampton Inn Suites in Brickell for Feb 2024. I think we'll just use a taxi from MIA to hotel also to the port. Lots of good recommendations for this hotel.