HAL segment cruises query

3Shelaghs

Does HAL allot  a number of cabins for each segment?  If so when do they release those cabins for shorter durations, or is it an always revolving cabin status.

ie cabins for 3 wk itinerary aren't specific and can be booked for 1 week or 2 week segments?

I have no knowledge about when/if segments get released, but you can book many cruises by the week (or something shorter than a full cruise) if they're listed separately and can build your own B2B.

Ex: I booked Oct 15 -29 Europe plus Oct 29 - Nov 9 making my own B2B. Both itineraries are available to book as separate trips (as I did), but there is also 1 itinerary for the full time Oct 15 - Nov 9. Booked separately you have 2 booking numbers; if you book the entire time as 1 booking, you get 1 number.

I booked the same cabin for both legs, but I've also done B2B where I switched cabins on Turnaround Day because it wasn't available for the full time.

Is that what you're asking?

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

HAL holds some cabins as bookable only for the entire voyage and makes other cabins available for booking by segment.

I expect that they may move unsold cabins between the two inventory blocks depending on ongoing demand. Their goal, ultimately, is to make as much profit on the cruise as possible..

I don’t think they would cancel an individual’s ticket to reassign their cabin from a segment to a full voyage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Sometimes if you're only booking a segment you can only book a guarantee. 

Please explain - I've booked many times where I see the same itinerary available w/additional dates and have never had to do a guarantee.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Please explain - I've booked many times where I see the same itinerary available w/additional dates and have never had to do a guarantee.

If you are booking a segment of a World or Grand cruise, those who are booking the entire cruise get first choice of cabins. Those who are booking a segment have a guarantee and will be placed in whatever cabins are left over.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roz said:

Sometimes if you're only booking a segment you can only book a guarantee. 

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

If you are booking a segment of a World or Grand cruise, those who are booking the entire cruise get first choice of cabins. Those who are booking a segment have a guarantee and will be placed in whatever cabins are left over.

This was also my experience when booking a segment; I could only book a low category guarantee.  As it got closer to the sailing date, they opened up a higher category room which I was offered and accepted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've done several Pacific Coastal cruises (for example, San Diego to Vancouver) that were the tail end of a Panama Canal cruise.  Those doing the entire cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver got to pick their cabins.  The Coastal passengers got guarantees.  Those were the cabins vacated by the PC passengers who disembarked in SD.

• Like 2

In my case, NOT a Grand or World tour, but two Caribbean cruises (to different islands) that were also being sold as a Collectors Cruise together -- I wanted to book the Collectors Cruise for considerable savings. The cabins I wanted for us and my brother/SIL were NOT shown for the Collectors but were available for both 'legs'. My PCC had to "check with Inventory", where they did apparently move our rooms between inventories and let her book us.

So it can work either way. Or at least could, pre-pandemic? This was on the Nieuw Statendam in January of 2021 and we did not sail!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2