Anyone ever book a "Mistake Fare"

Morgsmom

So I booked (through a TA) what was likely a Mistake Fare for a Yacht Club balcony cabin (someone else on a very large social media site noted it).  I know that the cruiseline can refuse to honor the price -- anyone have any direct experience with this?  My thought is that if the TA gets the confirmation and MSC has the deposit then we should be good to go..... Oh, but, wait,.... it's MSC.  So how long might they have to pull the plug and cancel?  Likely they (the cruiseline) are fully protected and could bump us right up to the sailing while we, as US-based passengers, have no protections.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, 8420PR said:

Do you have any example dates?

I've previously booked 2 mistake fares - one was honoured and the second one the whole cruise was cancelled so I just took a refund.

Check out 4/27/2024 Euribia out of Kiel.  Fares are about half of May sailings.  Of course it'd still be cold in Norway at end of April.  With VC discount, the YC3 is under $4k.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Selion said:

Check out 4/27/2024 Euribia out of Kiel.  Fares are about half of May sailings.  Of course it'd still be cold in Norway at end of April.  With VC discount, the YC3 is under $4k.

I booked this cruise on a whim because the pricing was so good.  It will be our 1st sailing with MSC.  Do you think this is a nice itinerary?

image.thumb.png.4160258e9e016926ade59739f4fcd765.png

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I booked this cruise on a whim because the pricing was so good.  It will be our 1st sailing with MSC.  Do you think this is a nice itinerary?

Depends on several factors. Most importantly, what are you looking for 🙂

If you want a fjord cruise then maybe not. It you want a taste of Norway with a day in Copenhagen then it's great.

FWIW, I have friends who booked this today also.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Depends on several factors. Most importantly, what are you looking for 🙂

If you want a fjord cruise then maybe not. It you want a taste of Norway with a day in Copenhagen then it's great.

FWIW, I have friends who booked this today also.

A Fjords cruise was on our bucket list because I’ve read so many comments that it is a wonderful cruise.  But I haven’t really researched anything related to a Fjords cruise.  I wasn’t planning on booking a Fjords cruise in 2023 or 2024. But I saw this deal today on the MSC EURIBIA  for 7 nights it was 2470.00 for both of us in the Yacht Club and includes Butler Service, Drinks, Wifi, Spa Access, and Private Lounge/Restaurant/Sundeck.

I’ve been on  the Escape in an NCL Haven and the Celebrity Retreat in 3 of the E-class ships but this will be our first time on MSC.  

It’s ok if it’s not a  Fjords cruise. The Fjords cruise will still be on my bucket list.  MSC had this cruise listed as "Itinerary : Germany, Denmark, Norway”.     I just hope the ports are interesting.   I booked it without knowing too much about these ports.  This is the 1st time I booked a cruise so fast without doing proper research.    

2 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

A Fjords cruise was on our bucket list because I’ve read so many comments that it is a wonderful cruise.  But I haven’t really researched anything related to a Fjords cruise.  I wasn’t planning on booking a Fjords cruise in 2023 or 2024. But I saw this deal today on the MSC EURIBIA  for 7 nights it was 2470.00 for both of us in the Yacht Club and includes Butler Service, Drinks, Wifi, Spa Access, and Private Lounge/Restaurant/Sundeck.

I’ve been on  the Escape in an NCL Haven and the Celebrity Retreat in 3 of the E-class ships but this will be our first time on MSC.  

It’s ok if it’s not a  Fjords cruise. The Fjords cruise will still be on my bucket list.  MSC had this cruise listed as "Itinerary : Germany, Denmark, Norway”.     I just hope the ports are interesting.   I booked it without knowing too much about these ports.  This is the 1st time I booked a cruise so fast without doing proper research.    

You'll love the YC. Much better than retreat or haven.

Flam is very nice and has a nice fjord. Get up early to watch the ship navigate through it. Lots of people will tell you to take the train (if you do, book direct not through the cruise), but I think a walking tour (you can do this solo) is just as good. Either way you'll like it. I think the big problem will be the time of year and the weather. But regardless, you'll be in the YC 🙂

Copenhagen is an amazing city. You'll love that.

Kiel is near Hamburg...that's a great city also.

I can't comment on the other ports.

I'd start looking for air now...prices are insane.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 2:09 PM, Morgsmom said:

So I booked (through a TA) what was likely a Mistake Fare for a Yacht Club balcony cabin (someone else on a very large social media site noted it).  I know that the cruiseline can refuse to honor the price -- anyone have any direct experience with this?  My thought is that if the TA gets the confirmation and MSC has the deposit then we should be good to go..... Oh, but, wait,.... it's MSC.  So how long might they have to pull the plug and cancel?  Likely they (the cruiseline) are fully protected and could bump us right up to the sailing while we, as US-based passengers, have no protections.  Thoughts?

Yes sort of.  Booked a YC interior room about a year out and confirmation came down as YC DS a week later which was odd. The price was a good deal.

I  immediately gave it to a TA hoping it would stand. 3 weeks prior to sailing it got caught.(document time) I refused to pay over $2000 more so I was given the option to cancel which we did.

That was Meraviglia out of PC.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:18 PM, taylortime05 said:

FYI this the one we booked, too (but starting in Copenhagen) 🙂

On 6/13/2023 at 6:44 PM, Selion said:

Yes, we booked this one but joining in COP.  

6 hours ago, Selion said:

@Morgsmom You were right about it being a mistake.  YC is back at $3000+pp for 4/28/2024.

image.png.57a836fdea4d2eae074f87be04d75995.png

We booked the Deluxe Suite in Yacht Club for $2400 for both of us.    It’s our first time sailing with MSC.   It looked liked a great deal.  Today the same cabin for 2 people is approx $6400. 

• Like 2

Years ago when the NCL Epic was still very new for about 48 hours they were booking the studio cabins at the price of 3rd passenger in regular cabins. So i got it solo for $250 instead of the $900 correct price. I was so sure they wouldn't honor it and maybe i'd even have to fight over a refund i didn't book more of the 7 night cruises. 

• Like 1

My thought:  If you keep it "as is"....can you deal with the "pre-cruise anxiety"...and how about making travel plans etc?  You're leaving yourself open to a lot of forseeable problems.

I'd ask TA his opinion....maybe it wasn't a "mistake fare"...just a lucky day to book!

We also booked this Euribia cruise a week or two ago when we saw what were at the time fantastic prices.  We had just had our NCL Epic cruise for next year cancelled due to repositioning, so we were just browsing when we saw this one and grabbed the last YC duplex suite out of Copenhagen.  When we booked there were still a few YCs out of Copenhagen and more than a dozen YCs out of Kiel available but it's pretty much booked now, so a lot of us jumped on those prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildos said:

We also booked this Euribia cruise a week or two ago when we saw what were at the time fantastic prices.  We had just had our NCL Epic cruise for next year cancelled due to repositioning, so we were just browsing when we saw this one and grabbed the last YC duplex suite out of Copenhagen.  When we booked there were still a few YCs out of Copenhagen and more than a dozen YCs out of Kiel available but it's pretty much booked now, so a lot of us jumped on those prices.

Well then we see you in Copenhagen!  

We also booked this earlier this week. My TA said that they can’t change it due to price guarantee once deposited. Definitely worth the chance for such a great deal. 

45 minutes ago, ptuder said:

We also booked this earlier this week. My TA said that they can’t change it due to price guarantee once deposited. Definitely worth the chance for such a great deal. 

Your TA is, unfortunately, woefully misguided (unless you are in UK or a country with such protections).  That does not apply in US 

13 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Your TA is, unfortunately, woefully misguided (unless you are in UK or a country with such protections).  That does not apply in US 

Definitely US based. I’ll be disappointed if something happens but will be okay if something changes.  I won’t pay a higher price, would just make different plans.  After all the different drama in my life over the last few years I’ve learned to rebound as needed!  

• Like 2

My son told me earlier this week he’d seen a fare for $2400 for 2 people in YC and I told him he must be mistaken and that was only for one person. Now I’m kicking myself, as is he, for not checking it out further.