Aft Facing Verandah versus Aft Facing Vista Suite

d&a Delaware

My husband and I will be cruising on HAL for the first time (we have previously sailed Celebrity, RCI and Oceania) and have booked an aft facing verandah cabin (category VS) on Koningsdam for a 22 day cruise.  Lots of sea days which we like, especially in an aft facing cabin.  For a lot more $ we could have booked an aft facing Vista Suite.  The suite would give us at least 32sq,ft. more space (maybe more, depending on specific cabins -- but HAL doesn't help identify which cabins).  And the suite includes "Generous storage" and "Binoculars" which the verandah (VS) cabin would not.  Are there any other perks that would come with booking a suite rather than a mere verandah cabin?  Perhaps expedited lines for boarding?  Special events or receptions for suite passengers?  We typically spend a good deal of time in our cabin and on our verandah when cruising, and we value a comfortable stateroom. But over $4K for 32sq.ft. seems a bit much if there are not other perks that would come with upgrading to a "suite."  Perhaps I have missed something that HAL is offering.  Comments/observations welcome.  Thanks in advance.

David

• Like 1

I do not feel like Vista suites are worth the money.  I suppose the location may be preferable but any aft cabin works for us.  No special boarding or tendering perks for Vistas.  No special events for Vistas.  Enjoy your aft cabin, I just booked one on deck 8 for a 24 day cruise on the Koningsdam.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 4

For me, I much prefer the veranda cabin layout with the seating area/lounge and desk area next to the balcony window.  I'm not one to lie in bed to watch scenery but do sit in the lounge area if it's too cold/hot  on the veranda.  Other people feel just as strongly about the Vista Suite layout with the bed next to the veranda and seating closer to the bathroom.  Think about how you use those spaces to help decide.

Enjoy the cruise!

~Nancy

• Like 6

7 hours ago, d&a Delaware said:

My husband and I will be cruising on HAL for the first time ...and have booked an aft facing verandah cabin (category VS) on Koningsdam for a 22 day cruise.  ...an aft facing Vista Suite.  The suite would give us at least 32sq,ft. more space (maybe more, depending on specific cabins -- but HAL doesn't help identify which cabins).  And the suite includes "Generous storage" and "Binoculars" which the verandah (VS) cabin would not.  Are there any other perks that would come with booking a suite rather than a mere verandah cabin?  (snip) We typically spend a good deal of time in our cabin and on our verandah when cruising, and we value a comfortable stateroom. ...Perhaps I have missed something that HAL is offering. 

No you probably have not missed anything. The only Suite benefit the Vista Suite offers is double Mariner points (one extra per day of cruise) if booked at rack rate, not an upgrade/upsell. Nothing else. Oh and you get to pay an extra $1.50pppd for the Crew Appreciation fees.

I looked at all the aft Vista Suite or aft VS Verandah photos on Cruise Deck Plans and the space is not really noticeable. You have your bed(s), and then a space with a loveseat opposing a desk and chair. For the Verandahs, the social area is toward the balcony, and for the Vistas, the desk and sofa are towards the hallway door. 

The Verandah cabin will have plenty of storage, and the binoculars (which we did not find in our Vista cabin!) are reputed to be "not so good". Spend some of your $4000 savings on a good pair of small Nikons!

The extra space in both aft Veradahs and aft Vista Suites is just absorbed by the spacing of furniture, you don't get anything special from it. And BTW, I advise for the Verandah despite choosing the Vista on our recent B2B on the K'dam, and our 35-day cruise on her next year.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, d&a Delaware said:

Thanks for the response.  I cant find anything that would justify changing our booking to a Vista suite.  I am sure that we will very much enjoy the aft veranda stateroom we have already booked 🙂.

David

You get double Mariner points for any suite.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

No you probably have not missed anything. The only Suite benefit the Vista Suite offers is double Mariner points (one extra per day of cruise) if booked at rack rate, not an upgrade/upsell. Nothing else. Oh and you get to pay an extra $1.50pppd for the Crew Appreciation fees.

I looked at all the aft Vista Suite or aft VS Verandah photos on Cruise Deck Plans and the space is not really noticeable. You have your bed(s), and then a space with a loveseat opposing a desk and chair. For the Verandahs, the social area is toward the balcony, and for the Vistas, the desk and sofa are towards the hallway door. 

The Verandah cabin will have plenty of storage, and the binoculars (which we did not find in our Vista cabin!) are reputed to be "not so good". Spend some of your $4000 savings on a good pair of small Nikons!

The extra space in both aft Veradahs and aft Vista Suites is just absorbed by the spacing of furniture, you don't get anything special from it. And BTW, I advise for the Verandah despite choosing the Vista on our recent B2B on the K'dam, and our 35-day cruise on her next year.

Thanks for all the information.  Especially regarding the cabin layout ( and thanks to oakridger as well) as this really seals the deal in favor of the VS verandah cabin, as we like to use our balcony as an extension of the seating area in the cabin.  

As for the extra cruise credits for booking a suite, we already have substantial past cruising "standing" on Celebrity and Royal C and see no benefit to trying to establish such standing with another cruise line at this point in our lives.  We're running out of time 😜, and can afford to prioritize itinerary and particular ship when selecting a cruise.

Thanks again for responding.

David

• Like 4

We've booked aft Verandahs multiple times and an aft Vista Suite only once. That particular booking was made when there was an insignificant price difference, so we thought that we'd give it a try. Under the same circumstances ($), we might book one again, but we're in no hurry to do so.

• Like 1

I always wonder about spending more $$$ for suites and locations.  We did an aft Facing cabin deck 6 in March 2023 on the Rotterdam VII and not sure it was worth the extra $$$.  

If you stay in your cabin a lot, if you spend lots of private time on your balcony, then there might be value.

We had to make deliberate time to go sit on our aft facing balcony.  We did use the balcony more when in port, but any balcony could have been used for us just looking around (mostly me while waiting on DW) The wake is great, but on Rotterdam, I can go to Deck 9 aft and watch the wake for 10-15 minutes and get my fill.   

I can only suggest trying one and then you can make your own determination of value.

We do not spend much time in our cabin no matter where it is.  We store our clothes there, clean up there and sleep there.  Other wise in general, we are out an about.

On 6/14/2023 at 11:03 AM, d&a Delaware said:

My husband and I will be cruising on HAL for the first time (we have previously sailed Celebrity, RCI and Oceania) and have booked an aft facing verandah cabin (category VS) on Koningsdam for a 22 day cruise.  Lots of sea days which we like, especially in an aft facing cabin.  For a lot more $ we could have booked an aft facing Vista Suite.  The suite would give us at least 32sq,ft. more space (maybe more, depending on specific cabins -- but HAL doesn't help identify which cabins).  And the suite includes "Generous storage" and "Binoculars" which the verandah (VS) cabin would not.  Are there any other perks that would come with booking a suite rather than a mere verandah cabin?  Perhaps expedited lines for boarding?  Special events or receptions for suite passengers?  We typically spend a good deal of time in our cabin and on our verandah when cruising, and we value a comfortable stateroom. But over $4K for 32sq.ft. seems a bit much if there are not other perks that would come with upgrading to a "suite."  Perhaps I have missed something that HAL is offering.  Comments/observations welcome.  Thanks in advance.

David

so about another $200 a day for 32 square feet?    I would much prefer to donate the $200 a day to a favorite charity and "tough it out" in a still very nice room.