Final Payment Due with Free at Sea Plus

ronheg

We purchased free at sea plus for our next cruise two days ago.  After the charge for fas+ had posted, we booked 2 additional shore excursions.  The shore excursion amounts reflected the $100 discount per excursion.  We are now at the point where we are making our final payment, and NCL is requesting that we pay an amount that reflects only a $50 credit for each shore excursion. Has anyone else had this problem? I don’t want NCL to cancel our cruise for non payment, but I also don’t want to overpay.

4 minutes ago, ronheg said:

We purchased free at sea plus for our next cruise two days ago.  After the charge for fas+ had posted, we booked 2 additional shore excursions.  The shore excursion amounts reflected the $100 discount per excursion.  We are now at the point where we are making our final payment, and NCL is requesting that we pay an amount that reflects only a $50 credit for each shore excursion. Has anyone else had this problem? I don’t want NCL to cancel our cruise for non payment, but I also don’t want to overpay.

It seems that a call to NCL (or TA) is needed to review your account and fix (or explain) why you have additional charge(s).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ronheg said:

Since you pay for the shore excursions at time of booking, what do you see that looks like you have a balance due?

The confirmation immediately prior to my final payment showed two lines “balance due $2480.46” and “net due $2650.46”. The $2480.46 reflects the discounted 4 shore excursions that i had already paid for.  The $2650.46 represents the undiscounted price (we are sapphire so the $50 is only $42.50 after our 15% discount).  

the confirmation after my payment of $2480.46 shows “net due $170”

I would give NCL or your travel agent a call. @BirdTravels is absolutely correct. If you are paying for the shore excursions as you go, that should have nothing to do with your final payment amount. It sounds like there is some other charge showing up that you want to take care of.

Absolutely call NCL! As soon as you are able. If an unpaid anything is on your bill, NCL can and will auto-cancel your entire cruise. Be sure they explain the charge to you as it could be an error on their end. They'll still cancel you though. 

Call....like now! Yep, it's an urgent thing to do. 

2 hours ago, ronheg said:

If you paid your original shore excursions with only $50 shore excursion credit instead the $100 shore excursion credit that you now have, then you simply have to call NCL to have the original shore excursions cancelled and rebooked to get the correct discount that you now are entitled to.

I just talked to the shore excursion desk.  The extra credit due for the fas+ does not get applied against the ncl bill.  Instead they issue a credit to my credit card 7-10 days after i purchased the fas+.  This is very dangerous because it would cause my cruise to be cancelled for lack of a full payment. I have to overpay with my credit card and then wait for the credit on my card credit. 

2 hours ago, ronheg said:

I just talked to the shore excursion desk.  The extra credit due for the fas+ does not get applied against the ncl bill.  Instead they issue a credit to my credit card 7-10 days after i purchased the fas+.  This is very dangerous because it would cause my cruise to be cancelled for lack of a full payment. I have to overpay with my credit card and then wait for the credit on my card credit. 

I'm glad you called! NCL is ridiculous (and I've told them) with their auto-cancel policy. It's one of the most non-customer friendly things they do.

Now, keep watching the NCL page (like, every day) to ensure all is well. When you get onboard you can relax, knowing you won't be canceled. Have a wonderful trip!

4 hours ago, ronheg said:

I've had this happen before too - the FAS+ messes up their accounting systems.  I book through CAS, but last time this happened I had to have three people look at it before they were able to explain why correctly. 

It seems to work differently if you booked shore excursions before adding FAS+ vs after.  When you booked it before, their shoreex system automatically refunds you, but when you book it after, you get the discount up front.

If that's a concern, in the future, I would probably book FAS+ before Shore Excursions.

• 1 month later...
  • Same problem here, in May 2023 I added free at sea plus for me and my wife for our May 2024 cruise.
  • In june 2023 I booked and paid online 2 shore excursion and we got 50$ shore excursion credit for both of us on both excursion. I have got confirmation for this.
  • Now in August 2023, they removed the 50$ shorex credit from my wife excursions and my final payment is now 90$ more (2* 50$ less 10% platinum).

When do you think they will give us back the second 50$ credit ? onboard ?

If i look to buy another shore excursion the price reflects 50$ discount each. But i'm afraid that if i book an excursion after final payment i will risk a cancellation if they decide to remove again her credit. It is insane !

I was just checking something on my upcoming cruise (sails in 26 days) which was fully paid and it now shows a small balance owing, which is the amount of the FAS+ shore excursion discount for my wife.

Having read this thread earlier I decided that I would just make the payment and then chase up the refund later. However , when I click on “make a payment” it shows a balance due of zero.

I’ve taken a screenshot of that page, and may give them a call at some point (although I have no confidence of anyone at NCL understanding what I am seeing). It looks like a website issue to me.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I was just checking something on my upcoming cruise (sails in 26 days) which was fully paid and it now shows a small balance owing, which is the amount of the FAS+ shore excursion discount for my wife.

Having read this thread earlier I decided that I would just make the payment and then chase up the refund later. However , when I click on “make a payment” it shows a balance due of zero.

I’ve taken a screenshot of that page, and may give them a call at some point (although I have no confidence of anyone at NCL understanding what I am seeing). It looks like a website issue to me.

You definitely need to call NCL. This is similar, but not exactly what happened, to my clients. Their cruise was minutes from being canceled, because of an NCL screw up. Because the system saw a balance owed, the cruise was going to be canceled. And, there would have been no recourse (based on my understanding of NCL's atrocious policy). I've talked with others who have experienced this and with NCL people higher up than in the call center. It's just a technical (in)capability they are aware of, but screw the customer with. This is one of those head shaking moments I always have. And, which is why I always check my bookings (personal too) every single day. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I checked that again, like you, the amount for the final payment is not the same as the one on the Make a payment page. 

Anyone had actually their cruise cancelled for this reason ?

If it is the case, i will remove FAS+ from my reservation...

8 minutes ago, reveur15 said:

I checked that again, like you, the amount for the final payment is not the same as the one on the Make a payment page. 

Anyone had actually their cruise cancelled for this reason ?

If it is the case, i will remove FAS+ from my reservation...

Read this saga. I certainly don't want to deal with the issues this lady has. Also, I have personal experience with the make a payment page showing an amount owed, when it wasn't, as well as multiple NCL employees telling me it was good I called when I did or else cruises would have been canceled. I know I'm but two cute puppies on Cruise Critic, so believe me or not. I'd tell you to ensure you pay for everything you have added, immediately if you're past final payment.

https://consumerrescue.org/cruise-fiascos/norwegian-cruise-line-cancel-familys-cruise-over-ground-transfer/

On 8/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, KeithJenner said:

@KeithJenner I would like to know if they solved that problem ? Please keep us informed.

Best regards

I was the original poster and I called and “overpaid” to make sure I was at zero.  About a week later a credit (refund) was posted to my ncl credit card for the amount I had “overpaid.”  I thought everything was fine and then yesterday my ncl account showed “complete payment of $212.50.  I went to make the payment and just like you, the balance due was zero.  I called ncl and they said my latest confirmation shows zero due and ignore the info on my NCL.  i think it’s a website problem 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 4:46 PM, reveur15 said:

@KeithJenner I would like to know if they solved that problem ? Please keep us informed.

Best regards

I emailed my PCC (a new one who I haven't spoken to before), but didn't get a reply so just gave him a call now.

He said that there was nothing showing as owing on the system and that everything was fine. I got him to email over a current confirmation showing zero owing, which he has just done.

I was able to check in fine at the weekend.

Not much else I can do now really. I will go armed with screenshots and the confirmation showing zero owing, in case it is a problem when boarding.

I'm not really concerned about the cruise being cancelled, as there seem to be a few of us in a similar position and there would have been more reports of cancellations if the glitch was that bad, but you never know with NCL.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1