Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

16 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Gary-  Are you referring to the flexibility that OLife's cruise only provided, letting the pax decide whether or not to use Oceania's excursions?  I ask because with SimplyMore, the fare includes an amount of SBC that can only be used for excursions, so it's use it or lose it. In that way Oceania does include a certain number of excursions and that cost is built into the cruise fare, not so different from Viking or Regent.

@1985rz1 Good point for the New SimplyMore program.  I am booked on the old program.  My strategy would change on SimplyMore.  I would utilize the amounts which would be a few excursions and do the rest on my own.  The SimplyMore programs is better for some then for others.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

29 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Gary-  Are you referring to the flexibility that OLife's cruise only provided, letting the pax decide whether or not to use Oceania's excursions?  I ask because with SimplyMore, the fare includes an amount of SBC that can only be used for excursions, so it's use it or lose it. In that way Oceania does include a certain number of excursions and that cost is built into the cruise fare, not so different from Viking or Regent.

Just want to point out that the big difference with Viking is that only one excursion in each port is included, and it is usually a basic walk through the port town. We always paid for other excursions when we were on Viking; one reason for using O, where we can choose what excursions we want.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Just want to point out that the big difference with Viking is that only one excursion in each port is included, and it is usually a basic walk through the port town. We always paid for other excursions when we were on Viking; one reason for using O, where we can choose what excursions we want.

Totally agree with this. I would add that Viking and Regent are a lot higher priced than Oceania if you are comparing like cabins. Viking only has balconies, so there is naturally a higher starting point, but side by side balconies Oceania has turned out to be less expensive per day than V post Covid

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We have sailed on Viking Ocean, but on Viking Expedition, there were several included excursions at each port, of which we could chose only one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

We have sailed on Viking Ocean, but on Viking Expedition, there were several included excursions at each port, of which we could chose only one.

We have only sailed on Oceans a few times. Expedition must be different. Since their launch in 2015, it’s always been one included excursion in each port, and as Bill said, it’s basically a scenic bus ride or walking tour. 
I read recently that there may be some changes to the one only coming up, but as far as I know it hasn’t been implemented as yet …..if it has it is recent and I missed that. 

57 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We have only sailed on Oceans a few times. Expedition must be different. Since their launch in 2015, it’s always been one included excursion in each port, and as Bill said, it’s basically a scenic bus ride or walking tour. 
I read recently that there may be some changes to the one only coming up, but as far as I know it hasn’t been implemented as yet …..if it has it is recent and I missed that. 

Typos galore:  I meant we haven't sailed on Viking Ocean, only on their Expedition ships.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

On Viking there is an included excursion in each port (often a bus or walking tour)..you have no choice on the tour you want.  With SM on O, you have SBC that can be used on any excursion or combination of excursions... a big difference as the choice is yours not the cruise line.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, basor said:

On Viking there is an included excursion in each port (often a bus or walking tour)..you have no choice on the tour you want.  With SM on O, you have SBC that can be used on any excursion or combination of excursions... a big difference as the choice is yours not the cruise line.  

Viking Ocean ships,.  It's different on Viking Expedition ships.

• Like 1

Just now, 1985rz1 said:

Viking Ocean ships,.  It's different on Viking Expedition ships.

I agree - All Expedition ships have different excursions due to the landings in the Arctic and Antarctica but, since O does not have Expedition ships and the comparison was asked between O and Viking/Regent, the answer was for comparable ocean vessels...apples to apples

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basor said:

I agree - All Expedition ships have different excursions due to the landings in the Arctic and Antarctica but, since O does not have Expedition ships and the comparison was asked between O and Viking/Regent, the answer was for comparable ocean vessels...apples to apples

Actually, I was thinking more of the Viking Expedition cruises on the Great Lakes and its Canadian Discovery cruises from Toronto to NYC.  These are port focused and there is very little use for the expedition toys. We had some great included tours on the Discovery cruise, and had several options.  O doesn’t do the Great Lakes but does similar Canadian cruises with the same ports..

Viking Expeditions also does South American, non-Antartica, cruises that have a mixture of ports and expedition type options,   But the itineraries are similar to O's, just more options in the fjords.  We're booked on one of these and selected some interesting included port options out of several that were available.

So this comparison may be more like Gala apples to Honey Crisps.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Actually, I was thinking more of the Viking Expedition cruises on the Great Lakes and its Canadian Discovery cruises from Toronto to NYC.  These are port focused and there is very little use for the expedition toys. We had some great included tours on the Discovery cruise, and had several options.  O doesn’t do the Great Lakes but does similar Canadian cruises with the same ports..

Viking Expeditions also does South American, non-Antartica, cruises that have a mixture of ports and expedition type options,   But the itineraries are similar to O's, just more options in the fjords.  We're booked on one of these and selected some interesting included port options out of several that were available.

Bottom line - Viking has pre-chosen the excursions included. and have "other" excursions you pay extra for......O gives you $$$ to use on any excursion you choose.

5 minutes ago, basor said:

Bottom line - Viking has pre-chosen the excursions included. and have "other" excursions you pay extra for......O gives you $$$ to use on any excursion you choose.

Correct. And on Viking non expedition cruises as 1985 is referring to, that’s a big deal. Particularly to those of us who don’t generally take excursions, and even more so to those of us who have that mindset and have sailed on Viking Oceans. If I have an excursion credit that I am paying for, let me choose that/those excursions to spend that money as it suites our travel preferences. VikingnOceans does not, so far, allow that. 

Edited by Vineyard View

28 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I’ve wondered about those Great Lakes itineraries. It sounds  like you very much enjoyed yours! 

16 minutes ago, basor said:

Yes, I agree, but I was responding to the statement that Viking Ocean has only one included excursion per port, and that Viking Expeditions usually has more than one. I wasn’t trying to comment on $$.

6 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I’ve wondered about those Great Lakes itineraries. It sounds  like you very much enjoyed yours! 

We thoroughly enjoyed the Canadian Discovery cruise, and it sold us on the Expedition ships.  The food gave Oceania a run for its money.  We have the South America cruise booked for this coming October and we have a Great Lakes cruise booked for 2025.  We're fans of Oceania and tend towards them if the itinerary is what we want, but for these itineraries Viking wins.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

We thoroughly enjoyed the Canadian Discovery cruise, and it sold us on the Expedition ships.  The food gave Oceania a run for its money.  We have the South America cruise booked for this coming October and we have a Great Lakes cruise booked for 2025.  We're fans of Oceania and tend towards them if the itinerary is what we want, but for these itineraries Viking wins.

Glad to hear your thoughts as we had good friends that were on the Great Lakes cruise this summer and said it was OK - loved the itinerary but the onboard not so much....they have also sailed on O.  

• Like 1