Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for continuing to post about SM. I just learned that we will save $3,400 on our April 2025 Riviera by switching to SM. That's a huge difference.  

🎶🌻🌊😎💥💐🎉

• Like 1

At the end of the day it was Oceania's total lack of communication to us as a booked customer (or our TA) which sparked my rant and finding out by e mail of offers to others that all was changing without being offered options really smacked of a total lack of customer service. Luckily our TA is now on the case ( despite late Covid attack on her and her husband)  and we will be able to see the cost benefits or otherwise. But for this Cruise Critic thread we would have had no sensible update to what was an apparent Oceania marketing e mail..... NOTE - rather than sending us two brochures a month we would appreciate more Oceania focussing directly on its customers with its offers - at least in the UK. I cannot speak for the service in the rest of the world

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Good Advice :).  The problem (for us) is that we have been to all the ports (many times at some) including having even rented apartments in some of the places.  Most of the excursions, small group or otherwise, would just not be attractive to us since these are all ports we would normally just do on our own,  However, I did notice a few excursions that are about food/wine and those might be a good option.  

We booked this cruise primarily to experience "O" and get ourselves over to Europe (where we will spend a few weeks post cruise just doing a driving trip).   When we originally did the booking we had not planned on any excursions.  But Simply More has changed the situation with the $2600 shore excursion credit.  If it was an option we would happily spend that money on decent bottles of wine.  But no way are we going to leave unspent OBC...even if it means booking some excursions that we simply skip.  It is a matter of principle.  We once left unused OBC on a cruise and promised ourselves......never again.

Hank

Small item:,The correct term on Oceania Is SBC (shipboard credit). 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

Yes, and Chilian Sea Bass is Patagonian toothfish.  Who cares?

Important historical distinction - the name changed when O started allowing OBC to be spent before embarkation. Perhaps not as significant as the difference between Extended  Journey and Grand Voyage (which designation can easily affect the bottom line $ cost of your trip) but is worthwhile knowing because of O’s myriad idiosyncrasies. 
If you decide to do more O trips, you’ll want to start paying attention to more of the seemingly small details (like the meaning of any letter that appears at the end of your O invoice’s “Cruise I.D.” number (which may save you more than just chump change).

“The devil (and your hard earned cash) is in the detail.”

11 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Indeed, that which we call a rose by any other name will smell as sweet.

Be very careful using such a sentence.  You might offend folks who have "anosmia."  🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for continuing to post about SM. I just learned that we will save $3,400 on our April 2025 Riviera by switching to SM. That's a huge difference.  

🎶🌻🌊😎💥💐🎉

Is it switching to SM  or part of the  Summer sale (including SM)  that gives you the  discount?

Most of the cruises I saw  went up  a bit or  a lot  with just the SM deal

• Like 1

I think there is just going to be an adjustment period as many people purposely chose O for the cruise only option or to take olife non excursions.  I am sure this happens on any line making that kind of change.  It would be great if I could tell you there is another unfound "Gem" out there (like the pre SM O) but once you get to premium and above lines it is simply a question of figuring out which cruise on which line makes the most sense for you now that O has basically leveled the field.

For us, details are important and we are looking for value but in the end it is the total vacation experience for the total vacation price that matters.  In this respect, I still feel that for us, O will present a good value vs the competition as they still have lower level cabins, cruise availability from the US (which allows us to keep our flight cost and etc. Down) and what we found to be a luxury level product. YMMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabidcruiser said:

At the end of the day it was Oceania's total lack of communication to us as a booked customer (or our TA) which sparked my rant and finding out by e mail of offers to others that all was changing without being offered options really smacked of a total lack of customer service. Luckily our TA is now on the case ( despite late Covid attack on her and her husband)  and we will be able to see the cost benefits or otherwise. But for this Cruise Critic thread we would have had no sensible update to what was an apparent Oceania marketing e mail..... NOTE - rather than sending us two brochures a month we would appreciate more Oceania focussing directly on its customers with its offers - at least in the UK. I cannot speak for the service in the rest of the world

I have not seen any email from Oceania  giving information on the new program or sales

Yes some people got  flyers  but those of us that opted out of the junk mail  did not

I am wondering  why you think everyone received  an email

I check CC & Oceania website  for new sales programs

Your TA  should be letting you know  if some sale  that affects your cruise  come up

JMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Upon further reflection, and giving due consideration to Flatbush Flyer's post, we think that "Os" SBC term is misleading and incorrect!  A "shipboard credit" that cannot be used upon a ship (it can only be used for excursions which are done off the ship" is not a real "shipboard credit."  In my world, a shipboard credit would be a credit that could be used for most things aboard...such as drinks, tips (or is that to be called crew appreciation) etc.

Hank

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Upon further reflection, and giving due consideration to Flatbush Flyer's post, we think that "Os" SBC term is misleading and incorrect!  A "shipboard credit" that cannot be used upon a ship (it can only be used for excursions which are done off the ship" is not a real "shipboard credit."  In my world, a shipboard credit would be a credit that could be used for most things aboard...such as drinks, tips (or is that to be called crew appreciation) etc.

Hank

I believe they use a term "excursions credit". Not that it really matters.. and we all know that it's not really FREE. 

image.png.bb00ccffa2536edf2b6d0ee9cffe6952.png

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

The credit for Excursions is  called "Excursion Credit"  by their marketing

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Since I am the true "O" virgin it is strange that I must correct all the "O" pros :).   Here is what it is called on "Os" web site for our specific cruise:

FREE $2,600 simply MORE Shore Excursion Credit

So, with all due respect to Flatbush Flyer, it is NOT being salled "SBC" or Shipboard Credit.  And with due respect to "O" it is NOT really "FREE."   

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Since I am the true "O" virgin it is strange that I must correct all the "O" pros :).   Here is what it is called on "Os" web site for our specific cruise:

So, with all due respect to Flatbush Flyer, it is NOT being salled "SBC" or Shipboard Credit.  And with due respect to "O" it is NOT really "FREE."   

Hank

Exactly

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

What you (or I) think is the correct and/or better terminology is really irrelevant. All that matters is paying careful attention to O’s wording or change of wording in their naming and/or description of products and services they provide. Any savvy longtime O regular will agree with that statement.

It’s already becoming apparent that the move to Simply More will not mean jettisoning the fine print of clarifications and exceptions nor will it significantly alter the snafu caused by varying policy interpretations by different O departments and staff/managers. 

As aforementioned, knowing and understanding that fine print and the finer distinctions of the terminology used allows a savvy passenger and/or TA to more easily fashion a successful argument for getting what you deserve in accordance with the policy’s undeniable attributes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Perhaps you should reread your original post since you used the term OBC. All I did was to inform you that the term OBC is referred to as SBC (and later explained why that happened and why such a minor distinction is important). It had nothing to do with the form of the SBC (in this case, restricted to shore excursions).

In any case, as aforementioned, what you (or I) have to say about O terminology is unimportant to O. However, if you (or I) don’t fully understand their terminology (as well as their policies and procedures) it is us who may be S.O.L. at the bottom line of our deals.

40 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes, that's true but many of us get lots of SBC. The Excursion Credit is a new separate entity.😎

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Is it switching to SM  or part of the  Summer sale (including SM)  that gives you the  discount?

Most of the cruises I saw  went up  a bit or  a lot  with just the SM deal

No. I made a huge mistake. 

The fare we paid still included the Oceania airfare.  We don't remove air until we have actually booked our flights. Since it's for April 2025, the air is still in our reservation.  If we remove the cost of air, the Simply More price is $200 pp higher than we booked. We might decide to switch anyway but not now.😎

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabidcruiser said:

NOTE - rather than sending us two brochures a month we would appreciate more Oceania focussing directly on its customers with its offers - at least in the UK. I cannot speak for the service in the rest of the world

2 a month?  You're lucky, we receive at least 3 a week.  Its ridiculous.