Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

On 7/4/2023 at 11:31 AM, Vineyard View said:

Are they letting you choose any excursion in any category to use the OBC for? 

Any excursion in any category, including services such as renting a car through the ship where that is available as an option.

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

So confusing.  We booked a B2 on June 28th.  Our TA was giving an extra 100 for a firecracker sale.  This is our rate. Its a Mexican Riviera cruise in April 2024.

3199 per person 450 OBC plus 50 loyalty from TA 

Choice of 1 from O. 600 per cabin OBC, Bev package( we don't drink so would not take this), 3 excursions per person.

She told me there is ANOTHER promotion instead of simply more.  Its called Summer on Sale. 

the same B2 would be 2999 per person, includes House beverage package. 400 per person shore excursion credit, wifi and 325 OBC from TA.  

What would you do?  House beverage is no value to us as we don't consume alcohol. 

I thought the only option is Simply More.  Didn't know you can chose SUMMER ON SALE. 

If I understand your numbers correctly, "option B" saves $200 pp for the fare.

OLife shorex at $300 pp can range in value from <$300 to ~$600...$450 is usually achievable but you are limited to O-Life qualifying shorex (no OE, OS, etc.); SM gives $400 to use on any shorex (so not a huge monetary difference unless there are ~$200 OLife shorex that appeal to you).

TA OBC: option A $250 pp vs. option B $325 pp so $75 more. (Or if it is $500 vs. $325, then $175 less OBC....about the same as the fare savings).

I don't know how you feel about a second Wifi logon (and you said wine/beer is not important). If Wifi is important, SM clearly wins since that second logon will cost a few hundred dollars. Even if Wifi isn't important, I would probably choose SM since the shorex-OBC can be used for any shorex (plus it looks like the YWC 25% discount is still available with the minimum shorex booked).

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If I understand your numbers correctly, "option B" saves $200 pp for the fare.

OLife shorex at $300 pp can range in value from <$300 to ~$600...$450 is usually achievable but you are limited to O-Life qualifying shorex (no OE, OS, etc.); SM gives $400 to use on any shorex (so not a huge monetary difference unless there are ~$200 OLife shorex that appeal to you).

TA OBC: option A $250 pp vs. option B $325 pp so $75 more. (Or if it is $500 vs. $325, then $175 less OBC....about the same as the fare savings).

I don't know how you feel about a second Wifi logon (and you said wine/beer is not important). If Wifi is important, SM clearly wins since that second logon will cost a few hundred dollars. Even if Wifi isn't important, I would probably choose SM since the shorex-OBC can be used for any shorex (plus it looks like the YWC 25% discount is still available with the minimum shorex booked).

It's not simply more, it was olife. I booked on June 28th. The t a never gave me the option of simply more comma she said whatever I booked on june twenty eighth versus simply summer.

2 minutes ago, calicakes said:

It's not simply more, it was olife. I booked on June 28th. The t a never gave me the option of simply more comma she said whatever I booked on june twenty eighth versus simply summer.

If you book using the summer sale, you must take SM.

8 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I think the Summer Sale is incorporating the Simply More structure. 

Having booked some time ago on Insignia for the Feb 2024 Sydney to Bali cruise being told that the only two remaining cabins were x and y only to find that now nearly ALL cabins are NOW suddenly available ( apart from top suites) and their replacement for O- life is being introduced AND we are alos now compelled to pay gratuities out of any onboard credits. ***** is happening Oceania? We travelled pre pandemic and got far better deals and better flexibility with you. Sadly an equivalent Azamara option is not available at the time where all the gratuities are included, a limited but acceptable free beverage package is included, often ( varying) onboard credit is included) and you do not have to pay for excursions you may or may not take. Just how is Oceania stacking up against this? (AND why are they changing the rules for prebooked passengers to try to screw yet more revenue from them for questionable benefit at best)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabidcruiser said:

Having booked some time ago on Insignia for the Feb 2024 Sydney to Bali cruise being told that the only two remaining cabins were x and y only to find that now nearly ALL cabins are NOW suddenly available ( apart from top suites) and their replacement for O- life is being introduced AND we are alos now compelled to pay gratuities out of any onboard credits. ***** is happening Oceania? We travelled pre pandemic and got far better deals and better flexibility with you. Sadly an equivalent Azamara option is not available at the time where all the gratuities are included, a limited but acceptable free beverage package is included, often ( varying) onboard credit is included) and you do not have to pay for excursions you may or may not take. Just how is Oceania stacking up against this? (AND why are they changing the rules for prebooked passengers to try to screw yet more revenue from them for questionable benefit at best)

It appears that a group may have been booked on your cruise and they turned in their unused cabins which opened up new opportunities for you.  If there is a cabin you like better, you can switch to that cabin without changing from Olife.   Pre-paid gratuities have been a part of O for years so not sure about your comment that you are compelled to pay gratuities out of OBC.  How did you pay for your gratuities before or is this you first O cruise?  The current rules are you may keep your booking under the promotion you booked or switch to the current promotion so not screwing you for more revenue....the choice is yours to switch or not,  Many have found that switching to Simple More has been financially advantageous for them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rabidcruiser said:

You are not required to change your booking from your original OLife promotion to the new SimplyMore promotions. If you are happy with what you have booked and don’t see a benefit from SimplyMore, don’t change.

I don’t understand your comment that you are required to pay gratuities from SBC.  I unaware of any such restriction under either OLife or SimplyMore.  Is this a TA requirement?

27 minutes ago, Rabidcruiser said:

Is this your 1st Oceania cruise?

They always have added gratuities to the stateroom bill. If you have used up your Shipboard credits, then it goes on your Credit Card.

You aren't forced to get SM but can switch if you feel you'll get a better price.

Edited by Rainbow3fe

27 minutes ago, Rabidcruiser said:

Compelled to use SBC for gratuities? Not really, As is the case with prepurchased excursions, you can indicate that you’d rather use a credit card (and save the SBC for once onboard. 
And, in any case, if you’re not at a sufficient O Club level to have your gratuities covered, your TA should be able to cover them using O’s pass through OCAPP incentive $ (on many itineraries) or cover them from the TAs own resources set aside for that perk.  

On 7/9/2023 at 5:01 PM, Psoque said:

How many days are you going to be onboard?  That's a lot of wine!!

I thought I posted a response to this but I don't see it. We are on a 12 day cruise with a group of 10 and hosting nightly parties in our suite, so 21 bottles won't make it that long. Looking to pick up another 6 bottles tomorrow in Edinburgh.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Rabidcruiser said:

Having booked some time ago on Insignia for the Feb 2024 Sydney to Bali cruise being told that the only two remaining cabins were x and y only to find that now nearly ALL cabins are NOW suddenly available ( apart from top suites) and their replacement for O- life is being introduced AND we are alos now compelled to pay gratuities out of any onboard credits. ***** is happening Oceania?

If you are already booked you are under no obligation to switch to SM program unless you choose to

Not sure  in the UK  but usually gratuities  have always been extra  however I believe you can have them removed onboard  should you feel the staff  do not deserve  them

I guess  you would probably lose your deposit  if you were to cancel

Thanks to those who made useful observations to my somewhat of a rant. The 2024 Sydney to Bali cruise may be a segment of a world cruise ( which "booked out" on Dec 2022) . To free up so many cabins a huge chunk ( most of the ship) must have dropped out of this segment or whoever reserved the booking dropped out- fair enough but we only found this by accident. Booking early we got a so-called £800pp discount.in February and paid a deposit (refundable) for the cabin. The  same grade cabins are getting the same "Early bird discount" as of todays prices. No, we do not need to upgrade to the new system BUT what is being offered to our TA does not seem to match Oceania's online offers. We are still working out what we might need or save but this was not part of any original deal., Payment of Gratuities from OBC was an Oceania idea , not the TA. We have cruised Oceania at least twice before and my cruise log shows it must have been included in the price and does not show separately (unless i logged it wrong). If Oceania are going down the Regent route they are going to have to improve their quality considerably at the prices they are pushing. Being messed about by Oceania (both us and the TA) does not enamour them to us  - as you might note from my tone. Still you pays your money and takes your choice-  - still not sure if we  will cancel before any deadlines.NOTE to Susiesan - Azamara DOES include some hard liquors in addition to some beers and some wines but not speciality ones. Oceania $80 per day means you have to drink a lot as two persons - or their drinks are wildly overpriced.

47 minutes ago, Rabidcruiser said:

Thanks to those who made useful observations to my somewhat of a rant. The 2024 Sydney to Bali cruise may be a segment of a world cruise ( which "booked out" on Dec 2022) . To free up so many cabins a huge chunk ( most of the ship) must have dropped out of this segment or whoever reserved the booking dropped out- fair enough but we only found this by accident. Booking early we got a so-called £800pp discount.in February and paid a deposit (refundable) for the cabin. The  same grade cabins are getting the same "Early bird discount" as of todays prices. No, we do not need to upgrade to the new system BUT what is being offered to our TA does not seem to match Oceania's online offers. We are still working out what we might need or save but this was not part of any original deal., Payment of Gratuities from OBC was an Oceania idea , not the TA. We have cruised Oceania at least twice before and my cruise log shows it must have been included in the price and does not show separately (unless i logged it wrong). If Oceania are going down the Regent route they are going to have to improve their quality considerably at the prices they are pushing. Being messed about by Oceania (both us and the TA) does not enamour them to us  - as you might note from my tone. Still you pays your money and takes your choice-  - still not sure if we  will cancel before any deadlines.NOTE to Susiesan - Azamara DOES include some hard liquors in addition to some beers and some wines but not speciality ones. Oceania $80 per day means you have to drink a lot as two persons - or their drinks are wildly overpriced.

It doesn't sound like Oceania is a good match for you.  

1 hour ago, Rabidcruiser said:

Payment of Gratuities from OBC was an Oceania idea , not the TA. We have cruised Oceania at least twice before and my cruise log shows it must have been included in the price and does not show separately (unless i logged it wrong).

If you did not pay gratuities before  maybe your TA or Oceania  had a promo for UK cruisers

In anycase I would check the cancellation date  so you will not be surprised  when it sneaks up on  next month

2 hours ago, Rabidcruiser said:

I agree with previous comments that Oceania may not be for you. You seem to think they have raised their prices too much with SimplyMore. For our two future cruises SimplyMore was actually a better deal. One only slightly better , the other much better. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Elbig said:

I agree with previous comments that Oceania may not be for you. You seem to think they have raised their prices too much with SimplyMore. For our two future cruises SimplyMore was actually a better deal. One only slightly better , the other much better. 

Same, and I was one of the people scoffing at it.  I admit I was wrong.

On 6/16/2023 at 5:22 PM, Sthrngary said:

I have seen this happen on other brands in the past.  Specifically change.  The post here represent the exact same posts from the past.  The question is why?  Change is difficult for MOST of us.  MOST of us like knowing the rules to the game and accepting them.  Human nature really.

I have been on this board now since I booked my first Oceania Cruise mid-2022.  I read, learn, post and appreciate most of the quality of members.  The tone that Oceania had to change some of their policies have been discussed, rehashed and debated. The general consensus was, clean up your act Oceania, you are confusing some folks especially the new folks. For me, it took a bit to get the program but after some thought, I got it.  That was with the help of some loyal long time guests so thank you.

Now my personal opinion which I don't expect for anyone to agree with or take as important.  Oceania is now attempting to establish themselves with things that would me more like the "All-Inclusive" luxury brands. Reading the notes above, it is more like All Inclusive Lite. If you look at the drink program, nothing much really changes per the notes.  The only real change is you get it and there for pay for the wine and beer program.  If you don't drink, you still have it.  that will make a certain group upset.  On the excursions, many folks don't like the cost of the brands excursions so they do it on their own.  Now they have to use some of what they believe is over price excursions with the credit provided.  Those that so often claim "The only way to go is Cruise-Only" lose that opportunity and feel upset about that. 

The reaction is we won't use Oceania again or we will think twice.  From Oceania standpoint, their future if they want truly grow are the converts from Main Stream Brands that want to lift their experience.  This was a business decision to create a much better competitor to brands like Viking. 

Change is hard only for those that remember the way it used to be.  The future growth often looks at those that have no frame of reference.  Just my two cents.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

We have done some 55 cruises over the last 20 years throughout the world, over quite a range of cruise lines, and are no strangers to change , BUT it would be nice when it occurs for Oceania to be honest as to how ones existing booking is impacted - I am not just referring to the upgrades from O-life which when you try to get to the bottom of them are muddled based on Oceania's replies to our TA and getting proper invoices was a task in itself. Perhaps they no longer fit our expectations as a reliable option. We choose cruises from a blend of cruise line / itinerary / price and overall service. Surprising that we have stuck solong with Azamara as their ships / staff  / packages are great but shoreside communications are like root canal surgery in their complexity and confused messages.  Sadly Oceania , for us , seems to be going this way as well. Good luck to those who enjoy the line and get great servicel

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rabidcruiser said:

BUT it would be nice when it occurs for Oceania to be honest as to how ones existing booking is impacted

@Rabidcruiser I could not agree with you more.  Part of luxury is the feeling that communication is always very clear and accurate.  That said and the theme of the post I did way before much was known about "Simply More" was, basically, "This to shall pass!" 

After being on the Crystal Cruise Board when they went bankrupt; on the NCL board when covid hit first and speculation of all cruise brands going under.  All all the ups and downs of the past few years, it seems the WAVES are big and upsetting when the WAVE happens, then seems to be forgotten soon after.  I am NOT say any cruise brand gets a pass on bad or incomplete communications.  We all deserve better.  I am saying I don't see much difference from one cruise brand to another. 

For me, not everyone, bad communication seems to be the only thing consistent in the cruise industry.  Just my opinion, not saying I am wise or right.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

17 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

One or the other or both.

I just wish I understood the rant.  Read them a few times and really not sure. Just thinking someone not understanding the Oceania reps explanations? The TA? I know my change could not have been easier. 5 minutes on phone with the rep and all done and updated invoice shortly thereafter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I just wish I understood the rant.  Read them a few times and really not sure. Just thinking someone not understanding the Oceania reps explanations? The TA? I know my change could not have been easier. 5 minutes on phone with the rep and all done and updated invoice shortly thereafter. 

Mine was worth just over a 30% savings.  Even if it took all day, it would be worth it to me.

• Like 1