Temps and tourists June and July

NCteacherlovescruising

33 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Hilton Paris Opera. 4 star hotel, moderately close to the major sites.

Thanks, Bruce.  We stayed in that general area about 25 years ago on Rue de la Paix and enjoyed the location very much.  More recently we have been staying across the Seine in the 5th.

I'll do some research and check with the hotel in a few months when they begin accepting bookings for late September / early October 2024.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 9:07 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What about crowds. Would there be much difference between visiting June 24-July 1 and July 12-19?

The most popular European tourist cities and towns have become more and more crowded over a period of at least 10 years, to the point where they are suffering from "over tourism", the reason so many local authorities have begun introducing measures in an attempt to curb tourist numbers.  We ourselves add to these numbers, but when you have to almost physically push your way through crowds to make your way from A to B, it does reduce the enjoyment.

No matter the month of the year, (even in winter) visit with the expectation that  you will find more crowds than you expected to find, and you won't be disappointed.

Came across the following post (on the Italy Heatwave Alert thread) just in time to add to this post. I expect more threads like this will appear once folks return from their trips, or you speak with friends, family or neighbours who just returned from land trips.

We just flew back to Boston on 7/13.  We were in Rome from the 10th until we left.  It was over 100 every day.  Dry heat but miserable.  In the afternoon you felt like you were going to drop walking around.  We had a 5pm entrance to the Colosseum (only time I could get thanks to their fabulous system) and DH was miserable the entire time.  So many people, so hot, sun beating down.  We walked by the Forum and Palatine Hill but skipped going through them.  We had an 8:30 guided tour of the Vatican on Wednesday.  Figured it would be early so no problem.  It was absolutely packed.  They start the tours earlier.  Wall to wall people.  If there was AC you couldn't feel it in the museum sections.  Thankfully you don't need to have your shoulders covered there but you did in the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's but with the higher ceilings they were much cooler.  Talking to people who live there and they said it normally isn't quite that hot that early in July.  They said that August is unbearable and wouldn't recommend travelling there during that month.  DH is a teacher so we're tied to school schedules when we travel so I feel the pain of only being able to travel when it's bloody hot.  There were lots of places to refill water bottles walking around.  One day the police actually had the shaded section of the Spanish Steps corded off to keep people from sitting on them, it was that bad.  

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, gail-s said:

We just got back from a July 3-10 cruise in the Western Med ending in Rome for 3 days.  It was very hot, over 100 every day and very crowded in all of our ports and in Rome.  

We decided to go in mid June instead of mid July. However, we also have one at the beginning of July. We’ll expect the worse and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

The most popular European tourist cities and towns have become more and more crowded over a period of at least 10 years, to the point where they are suffering from "over tourism", the reason so many local authorities have begun introducing measures in an attempt to curb tourist numbers.  We ourselves add to these numbers, but when you have to almost physically push your way through crowds to make your way from A to B, it does reduce the enjoyment.

No matter the month of the year, (even in winter) visit with the expectation that  you will find more crowds than you expected to find, and you won't be disappointed.

Came across the following post (on the Italy Heatwave Alert thread) just in time to add to this post. I expect more threads like this will appear once folks return from their trips, or you speak with friends, family or neighbours who just returned from land trips.

This is actually from my post in that thread - gail-s

We just flew back to Boston on 7/13.  We were in Rome from the 10th until we left.  It was over 100 every day.  Dry heat but miserable.  In the afternoon you felt like you were going to drop walking around.  We had a 5pm entrance to the Colosseum (only time I could get thanks to their fabulous system) and DH was miserable the entire time.  So many people, so hot, sun beating down.  We walked by the Forum and Palatine Hill but skipped going through them.  We had an 8:30 guided tour of the Vatican on Wednesday.  Figured it would be early so no problem.  It was absolutely packed.  They start the tours earlier.  Wall to wall people.  If there was AC you couldn't feel it in the museum sections.  Thankfully you don't need to have your shoulders covered there but you did in the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's but with the higher ceilings they were much cooler.  Talking to people who live there and they said it normally isn't quite that hot that early in July.  They said that August is unbearable and wouldn't recommend travelling there during that month.  DH is a teacher so we're tied to school schedules when we travel so I feel the pain of only being able to travel when it's bloody hot.  There were lots of places to refill water bottles walking around.  One day the police actually had the shaded section of the Spanish Steps corded off to keep people from sitting on them, it was that bad.  

gail-s It was an excellent example of some of the points being made in this thread, which is why I copied/pasted it, not at all uncommon on CC, but unfortunately forgetting to include your username so you could take full credit. you have now corrected that ommision.

Reading it, I felt your pain.🫠

24 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

gail-s It was an excellent example of some of the points being made in this thread, which is why I copied/pasted it, not at all uncommon on CC, but unfortunately forgetting to include your username so you could take full credit. you have now corrected that ommision.

It's quite easy to just use the "quote" function in future -- that way the person is clearly credited (and also depending on their notifications, they receive a ping that they've been quoted).

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's quite easy to just use the "quote" function in future -

i do mostly use the quote function,  but sadly nowadays it is not uncommon for me to have "senior moments" and that was a prime example of one.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

I too was a teacher, so summer, spring break or Christmas.   We enjoyed them all but prefer spring or fall now.   I think your choice for starting in June is a good one.   No guarantees of course.  

And I think you’ll discover Europe is not a one and done.   You will likely want to return.  We’ve happily been in a Europe rut for decades with occasional other forays.    But Europe is huge and even one country like Italy, truly takes multiple trips to truly experience the different regions.  As it does with France,  And then there’s the Greek islands….    

There is no way to see it all,  but just go and enjoy what you are seeing and try not to spread yourself too thin to really enjoy and experience. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I too was a teacher, so summer, spring break or Christmas.   We enjoyed them all but prefer spring or fall now.   I think your choice for starting in June is a good one.   No guarantees of course.  

And I think you’ll discover Europe is not a one and done.   You will likely want to return.  We’ve happily been in a Europe rut for decades with occasional other forays.    But Europe is huge and even one country like Italy, truly takes multiple trips to truly experience the different regions.  As it does with France,  And then there’s the Greek islands….    

There is no way to see it all,  but just go and enjoy what you are seeing and try not to spread yourself too thin to really enjoy and experience. 

Such wise words!

• Thanks 1