Tipping Southampton Porters

Folk don't tip porters when they drop off luggage - baggage handlers just put bags onto a conveyor, the man-handling is done on-board by ships' crews.

Same as airports, most folk don't use porters for luggage from terminal to onward transportation - I don't know the normal tip, but I guess a couple of pounds or dollars.

From what I've seen, it's much the same elsewhere in Europe

JB 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Southampton is one of the most civilized ports we've sailed out of.  Their porters are friendly and never have their hands out for tips as you see in a lot of American ports.  They take your bags, say "thank you" and "welcome" and you're on your way.  One of the many things that we love about Southampton.

Barb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't have experience in Southampton, but when we sailed out of Harwich in the past the porters grabbed our bags and moved on so fast we couldn't have tipped them if we'd tried! Have a couple of pounds handy, but if you have to reach into your pocket or a purse, they're likely not going to be there any more to tip anyway...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markeb said:

I don't have experience in Southampton, but when we sailed out of Harwich in the past the porters grabbed our bags and moved on so fast we couldn't have tipped them if we'd tried!

That exactly mirrors my experience in Southampton.

On 6/18/2023 at 5:49 AM, John Bull said:

Folk don't tip porters when they drop off luggage - baggage handlers just put bags onto a conveyor, the man-handling is done on-board by ships' crews.

Same as airports, most folk don't use porters for luggage from terminal to onward transportation - I don't know the normal tip, but I guess a couple of pounds or dollars.

From what I've seen, it's much the same elsewhere in Europe

JB 🙂

Only in America do we go overboard on the tipping.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tipping in Europe is much less prevalent than in the USA. And you certainly wont come across porters like those in Fort Lauderdale who give the impression that they'll throw your bag in the ocean if you don't tip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, scottbee said:

Tipping in Europe is much less prevalent than in the USA. And you certainly wont come across porters like those in Fort Lauderdale who give the impression that they'll throw your bag in the ocean if you don't tip.

Isn't that the truth. 

• Like 1