How to (maybe) know which cabin you're assigned before even paying a deposit.

Stockjock

I recently booked one of those cheapie L.A. to Cabo $249 sailings, although I paid the $499 for Concierge Class, against the advice of most here.  I booked this because my buddy is kind of fussy and he thinks it's more special than it is.  Well, at least I get extra loyalty points, a bathrobe and I think a bottle of sparkling wine.  Probably not worth the $150/pp premium, as discussed in another thread, but I don't think $150 would break the bank for either one of us.  All of these cheapie rates are GUAR cabins and the next day, I got my assignment on Eclipse, 10th deck forward.

But just for the heck of it, I did a faux booking where I put in all of the info but the wrong last digit on my credit card.  It failed due to putting in a bad number and I then exited the booking by closing the tab.

They immediately sent me an GUAR offer (hold).  The next day, I clicked on the tab to complete the deposit, but did not actually make the deposit.  On that same page, it showed which cabin I had been assigned on the 7th deck mid-aft.  Seemed like a pretty decent assignment, as it was unobstructed, but I think I'll stick w/the Concierge Class cabin on the 10th deck to keep my friend happy.

Obviously, this trick might not work for everyone, as there are times where the cabin is assigned very late, but it might work for some.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I recently booked one of those cheapie L.A. to Cabo $249 sailings, although I paid the $499 for Concierge Class, against the advice of most here.  I booked this because my buddy is kind of fussy and he thinks it's more special than it is.  Well, at least I get extra loyalty points, a bathrobe and I think a bottle of sparkling wine.  Probably not worth the $150/pp premium, as discussed in another thread, but I don't think $150 would break the bank for either one of us.  All of these cheapie rates are GUAR cabins and the next day, I got my assignment on Eclipse, 10th deck forward.

But just for the heck of it, I did a faux booking where I put in all of the info but the wrong last digit on my credit card.  It failed due to putting in a bad number and I then exited the booking by closing the tab.

They immediately sent me an GUAR offer (hold).  The next day, I clicked on the tab to complete the deposit, but did not actually make the deposit.  On that same page, it showed which cabin I had been assigned on the 7th deck mid-aft.  Seemed like a pretty decent assignment, as it was unobstructed, but I think I'll stick w/the Concierge Class cabin on the 10th deck to keep my friend happy.

Obviously, this trick might not work for everyone, as there are times where the cabin is assigned very late, but it might work for some.

I booked Eclipse for Oct 22  Veranda guarantee.TA put a hold on it and before she applied my deposit I was assigned a cabin.I knew since it was a guarantee it was a gamble.I was put all the way in front above theatre on deck six.Called Celebrity and they said it can be changed in the same category.There we’re lots of cabins available so I picked one on deck 7,deck between cabins.My friends going had not yet assigned,though both were put on hold at same time.TA was able to get their cabin assigned 2 doors from us.Very satisfied with outcome,

• Like 1

There is no hard fact as to when a Guarantee Cabin will be assigned.   I read that one person recently had theirs assigned the day after they booked.    I have had the experience of not having a cabin assigned until I was at the port.    Ya never know.   That's why the cheaper price.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

There is no hard fact as to when a Guarantee Cabin will be assigned.   I read that one person recently had theirs assigned the day after they booked.    I have had the experience of not having a cabin assigned until I was at the port.    Ya never know.   That's why the cheaper price.

For me, both cabins assigned one day after booked, but as mentioned, the 2nd cabin number was given on a GUAR with no money down.  So if I choose to put a deposit on it, I'd already know what I'm getting.

Hopefully my original post was clear.  If not, folks can read it again.  

It's one thing to get an assignment soon after a deposit is made, but it's the first I've seen where the cabin was assigned on a GUAR with no money involved.  I've described the process, which might work on some cases and not in other cases.  However, there is no risk to trying this, if the instructions are followed.

The point I'm trying to get across isn't that a cabin may be assigned soon after booking (or not), as I think most of us already know that.  But rather, it may be assigned on a GUAR option (aka hold) before you have booked it or put any money down on a deposit.  That way, you'd know exactly what you've booked before you've spent a penny, which is terrific on a GUAR cabin.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 7:35 PM, dianef said:

TA put a hold on it and before she applied my deposit I was assigned a cabin

Same exact thing happened for me when I booked a gty suite on Ascent. Before the deposit had even cleared, I was assigned an S1 mid ship on deck 10. I was pleased with the outcome and surprised at how quickly it happened. 

On 6/18/2023 at 6:50 PM, Stockjock said:

I may try that method the next time I book. Nothing to lose. I’ve read that even if you don’t like the assignment you can request to be moved to a different cabin within the same assigned category. Guess the only gos side would be if the cruise was nearly sold out. 

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’ve read that even if you don’t like the assignment you can request to be moved to a different cabin within the same assigned category.

I'll say this is usually the case but I did have one time where a Shoreside Concierge would not.  He maintained that if I wanted to select my cabin I'd have to pay prevailing rate for that cabin

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'll say this is usually the case but I did have one time where a Shoreside Concierge would not.  He maintained that if I wanted to select my cabin I'd have to pay prevailing rate for that cabin

Celebrity's future CEO.....

• Haha 1