NCL AIR

brer111

13 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Well, yes, in fact you did.  I don't want to get into a pi^^*ng match over this, but what you said to @omahabob was:  "still felt the need to chime in on a topic....It would be nice if those who do could discuss specifics without the naysayers."

I'm thinking that was exactly what you were writing.  You may wish to re-read what you wrote.  If I offended you with my response to your comments, I am truly sorry to hear you took offense.  Please enjoy your participation of Cruise Critic, it is a great platform for exchanges of ideas and suggestions.  ☺️

Think again or at least re-evaluate you own motives.  I was not attacking your friend. I did question the relevence of his one statement (not every post he made on the thread). You do seem to need to accuse and attack. Unless you truely question my ability to read, my understanding of international and Hawaii's status as a State. Your intent as well as your hypocrisy, is clear.  Also, apologies dont include the word if. That's ok, ones not needed any more than your permission or invitation to contiuned participation on cc.

On 7/16/2023 at 11:39 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks. Do people find norwegian generally leaves a decent amount of time to get to the airport the day you are leaving or is it better to get a 1 day variance at the end.

It depends. On our Panama canal trip they booked us on an 11:30am flight. We listened to the 'rules' and disembarked at 9am with our group for airport transfers. Had to get off the line for the bus and hail an Uber to make it to the airport in time.

If they give you an early flight before noon - just use alternative arrangements to get to the airport in time. Their transfers suck and we won't be using them again.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:29 PM, Uff da said:

It depends on where you are going. Domestic flights, yes. However, we each had one free bag for Panama. I think it's an airline thing moreso than NCL. We flew United there and Delta back. 

We’re cruising from Panama in Dec. Any hotel recommendations? Thx

2 hours ago, blivey said:

We’re cruising from Panama in Dec. Any hotel recommendations? Thx

To be clear, we sailed out of Panama City, not Colon. I don't know where you are starting from. 
We stayed at the Raddison Amador. It was nice and close to the cruise port. They provided transfers the day of the cruise. 

On 7/16/2023 at 6:06 PM, victory2020 said:

I could not change to an earlier flight on Virgin the day of from London even though the airlines were very OK with it.

I was referring more to seat assignment rather than changing flights.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:03 PM, Reese15233 said:

...but still felt the need to chime in on a topic from someone who clearly made an informed decision to use NCL air and asked about the experiences of others who made the same choice....

I chime in as I like. But as was already noted, I replied to a question about favorite airlines to Hawaii, and clarified that I didn't book it through NCL.

I'm sorry someone peed in your corn flakes this morning. That must have tasted awful. But I don't need your permission to post here, nor do I care what you think about it. But since my wife has developed medical conditions that have caused us to cancel all future vacation plans, you'll probably be pleased to note that I won't be around much. Now you can go brush your teeth and be happy until someone else irritates you by daring to post here without your personal approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:51 PM, brer111 said:

Let me start out that we know all about NCL AIR including pros and cons.. Just wondering what anyone's experience was flying with 2 day deviation was like? We will be flying out of Phoenix to Rome and just wondered what others have experienced. TIA

Ellen

We had a great experience from east coast to Rome and back from Venice.  All 3 cabins were actually booked on the same flights.  Connections were a little tight, but I’d be stupid enough to book the same on my own, so no real complaint there.  Saving $3k was totally worth it.  Unlike others, we had the option to upgrade our seats on our flights, but chose not to.  We flew Delta/KLM out and Air France/Delta on the return.  We arrived in Rome 9:30AM the day before our cruise.

tip for others considering using NCL Air is to really know thyself.  It stressed me out more than I expected to have to wait until 30 days out to get the flights.  I couldn’t book transfers or tours without it, so waiting was hard.

• Like 1

chefy_mom Did you have only one day deviation for your cruise? I agree my frustration right now is to book transfers but I did book some tours that I did not have to pay upfront . Did you fly home the day you got off your cruise or did you deviate?

On 7/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, brer111 said:

chefy_mom Did you have only one day deviation for your cruise? I agree my frustration right now is to book transfers but I did book some tours that I did not have to pay upfront . Did you fly home the day you got off your cruise or did you deviate?

We did one-day deviations pre and post.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:23 PM, chiefy_mom said:

We did one-day deviations pre and post.

We are doing two day  before. I have  been trying to convince my husband to do 1 day after and just chill by airport. I am worried on a long and very tiring trip home and he has some health issues. Thanks again of your information.

1 hour ago, brer111 said:

We are doing two day  before. I have  been trying to convince my husband to do 1 day after and just chill by airport. I am worried on a long and very tiring trip home and he has some health issues. Thanks again of your information.

We did two day prior and one day post.  It allows for jet lag mitigation before the cruise, and the post cruise deviation makes for a much less stressful trip home.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

We did two day prior and one day post.  It allows for jet lag mitigation before the cruise, and the post cruise deviation makes for a much less stressful trip home.

Much of the stress on the trip home is self-inflicted by choosing the earliest possible flights then worrying about making the flights.  Typically, I try to book flights home at least six  hours after debarkation.  The most stressful thing is picking out a seat to wait in at the airport.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aero777 said:

Does NCL air charge for deviations? Thinking about using it for the first time. Looks like there could be baggage fees and seat assignment fees. Thanks 

No charge, but you do have to request the deviation at least 75 days prior to your cruise date. Flights aren't assigned until the 30 - 60 day mark. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Much of the stress on the trip home is self-inflicted by choosing the earliest possible flights then worrying about making the flights.  Typically, I try to book flights home at least six  hours after debarkation.  The most stressful thing is picking out a seat to wait in at the airport.

NCL Air doesn't allow you to pick your flight times.  We're simply more comfortable adding 24 hours onto your 6 hours.  ☺️ DW is always anxious when we have any flight to catch, so staying at an airport hotel the night before the flight significantly reduces her anxiety about crowds and long lines at airports.  This in turn, reduces my anxiety about dealing with her anxiety.

14 minutes ago, aero777 said:

Does NCL air charge for deviations? Thinking about using it for the first time. Looks like there could be baggage fees and seat assignment fees. Thanks 

They actually give you a $25 credit for taking a deviation.

Baggage fees and seat assignments depends entirely on the airline.  You usually would pay for luggage on domestic flights. Overseas flights often include at least 1 checked bag, depending on the destination. So from the US, Europe is usually 1, Australia was 2 the last time I went.

Seat assignments, paid or not, vary widely by flight and/or airline. Some can be arranged online in advance, some at check in 24/48 hrs before your flight. And sometimes the website won't let you choose in advance but if you call and ask nicely... Never hurts to try!

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

NCL Air doesn't allow you to pick your flight times.  We're simply more comfortable adding 24 hours onto your 6 hours.  ☺️ DW is always anxious when we have any flight to catch, so staying at an airport hotel the night before the flight significantly reduces her anxiety about crowds and long lines at airports.  This in turn, reduces my anxiety about dealing with her anxiety.

Just another reason to avoid NCL Air.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ronheg said:

Brer111, i see you from phoenix.  What were your airlines and  flight times?

Leaving we are on United flight at 8:20 am with connection in Washington DC IAD arriving 8:15 AM

Return is KLM/Delta and 2 stops - Rome - Amsterdam - Atlanta - Phoenix

Leave Rome at 12:45 and was looking good until I was doing seats and my last flight on Delta changed from leaving for Phoenix at 10:56 pm to 8:10 am next morning. I may call and check with them on that change to make sure it is correct. It seems crazy to have someone sit in the airport all night 

16 hours ago, brer111 said:

Leaving we are on United flight at 8:20 am with connection in Washington DC IAD arriving 8:15 AM

Return is KLM/Delta and 2 stops - Rome - Amsterdam - Atlanta - Phoenix

Leave Rome at 12:45 and was looking good until I was doing seats and my last flight on Delta changed from leaving for Phoenix at 10:56 pm to 8:10 am next morning. I may call and check with them on that change to make sure it is correct. It seems crazy to have someone sit in the airport all night 

While initially this looks horrible, lately I've been using the long Atlanta layover more often when booking my air travel.  Normally, you have a later start out of Europe so I don't have to be at the airport by o'dark thirty.  Then after already having a layover in Amsterdam by the time I get to Atlanta I'm spent.  I reserve a hotel with a shuttle, get a good nights sleep, and then start again the next morning.  

When I get home to the next day I don't have my normal jet lag.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Girr said:

While initially this looks horrible, lately I've been using the long Atlanta layover more often when booking my air travel.  Normally, you have a later start out of Europe so I don't have to be at the airport by o'dark thirty.  Then after already having a layover in Amsterdam by the time I get to Atlanta I'm spent.  I reserve a hotel with a shuttle, get a good nights sleep, and then start again the next morning.  

When I get home to the next day I don't have my normal jet lag.

By the time we get to Atlanta , took a shuttle to a booked hotel, we would not get a good night sleep as we  would have to get to airport early for the morning flight and I personally would get no sleep nor my husband being afraid of oversleeping, Also my husband has medical issues too.