Viking Octantis Great Lakes pre & Post CHICAGO

rosewood jo

I  have not done a pre post but am planning a trip to Chicago in the Fall

If that is the Radisson Blu Aqua it is a great location and highly rated  It is one block north from Millennium park and about 5 blocks from the Art Institute of Chicago.  Well located higher floors may have lake view

My reason for going to Chicago is primarily to visit the AIC museum and the masterpieces there.  The Natural History museum is also noteworthy.  Chicago Theatre is about 5 block west  and it is worth seeing what or who is playing.

As far  as food I will probably see for myself if Chicago Pizza is all that they say it is.  I would make a point at trying to get to one of Rick Bayless mexican restaurant.  See his web site rickbayless dot com  I also usually search for Chinese hot pot or ethnic chinese cuisine such as Hunan or Sichuan .  I am pretty adventurous eater and willing to take risk.

In season I imaging a baseball fan would want to see a game at Wrigley Field.  Shoot I am not even a big baseball fan but I would go just to experience the field of play ; this American icon

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

AIC is wonderful. They have the largest impressionist collection in North America. 

The Architecture River Cruise is amazing. I highly recommend it.  

Second both of these.  We lived in the Chicago area for four years and these were the top two things we took visitors to experience.   But there are so many wonderful things to see and do that it's easy to tailor a couple of days to your own interests.

People fall into two or three camps in terms of "best deep dish pizza" in Chicago, and I'm firmly in the Giordano's camp.  There's one within easy walking distance of Millennium park, just off Randolph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chicago is a wonderful city. If you are a theatre enthusiast, look at what is playing at Steppenwolf, Goodman, Chicago Shakespeare, Remy Bumbo, Theatre Witt, and many more; look beyond the “Ticketmaster” places and into the smaller venues. There are incredible museums, restaurants and shopping experiences. Take a Chicago River boat tour and check out what Architectours is offering. Grant Park concerts, jazz clubs and other music venues abound.  You don’t need an organized tour; a little on-line research and public transportation will serve you well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I image there is a sub set of wonderful German and Polish restaurants and really good wurst to be had.  Excited about the river tour and that it is so well thought of.  Baseball , pizza , sausages, Rick Bayliss,  art, theatre, natural history.  Might need to add an extra day or two.

If you try only one, let it be the Lou Malnati’s Chicago Classic pizza with the butter crust- it’s significantly better than most of the “Chicago style” pizza found elsewhere that’s basically Focaccia.

A Portillo’s Chicago style dog with everything is also a local classic.

• Like 2

If you’re up for a taxi ride and want to splash out a bit for great food and ambience, we highly recommend Pond. It’s on a pond (thus the name) and we try to get there whenever we’re Chicago.

The Museum of Art is excellent. And we loved the architecture boat tours, especially those run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation. Very knowledgeable volunteer guides.

• Like 2

There is some great Greek food there, too. Check out the Greek Islands as I recall. 

The Chicago Symphony, if in season, is incredible. Match that with a visit to the Palmer House for real class. 

Do remember to watch the original Blues Brothers, Adventures in Babysitting and, especially, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. The AIC scenes in the later are so heartwarming. ❤️

2 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

If you try only one, let it be the Lou Malnati’s Chicago Classic pizza with the butter crust- it’s significantly better than most of the “Chicago style” pizza found elsewhere 

Being a retired scientist inclined to think an n=3 is required.  Need to be sure to get a range of test samples

• Haha 2

We are not long back from Chicago post our American Queen river cruise. We had three days/2 nights there. Wish it had been more. 
Absolute must (agree with others) is the 90 minute (not the shorter) River Architecture tour

We did the Foodies walking tour with bobbysbikehike.com. It started at Lou’s at 1730 and was a great way to enjoy pizza, hot dog, steak sandwiches and brownies plus some sightseeing- who knew the brownie was a Chicago invention 

Our other recommendation for an interesting two hours being driven around was the Gangster and Mob tour by chicagocrimetours.com. We did a daytime tour but I hear the night one is also fun. 
We thought given we come so far Chicago would be a “one and done”. Absolutely not we want to return for more there is so much to see and do 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KathyA said:

Also don't miss The Berghoff Restaurant. This German restaurant has been a Chicago landmark for well over 100 years.

Yes!  Totally forgot to mention this - truly iconic.