Glover Garden Nagasaki to Cruise Port

donaldsc

We are going to be doing a tour in Nagasaki that ends up in Glover Garden.  Our guide said that it is a 10 minute walk from the Garden to our ship.  Google Maps says that it is 1.8 km and 23 minutes.  Which one is right?

DON

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 4:13 PM, ROCruiser said:

All you need to do is to walk down from Glover Garden, through the shopping street and you are back at the cruise terminal. Here is our day in Nagasaki, with Glover Garden at the end of the video.

Really enjoyed your video on Nagasaki.  Have you visited Kagoshima?  If so, did you do a video of it?  In Sept., we will be doing an 7-day Kyushu cruise and an 9-day Hokkaido cruise on the Diamond Princess.  Between those 2 cruises, we will spend 5 days on land.  Will be staying at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand hotel.  Hopefully not too far to get to the Yokohama station; really enjoyed your video of the underground shopping in the Yokohama station.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 5:43 PM, chubbypiggy said:

Really enjoyed your video on Nagasaki.  Have you visited Kagoshima?  If so, did you do a video of it?  In Sept., we will be doing an 7-day Kyushu cruise and an 9-day Hokkaido cruise on the Diamond Princess.  Between those 2 cruises, we will spend 5 days on land.  Will be staying at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand hotel.  Hopefully not too far to get to the Yokohama station; really enjoyed your video of the underground shopping in the Yokohama station.  

Sorry it took me so long to see your post. So glad that my video helped. Yes, we were in Kagoshima and here is the video on that day. Now come to think of it, check to see if there are other kind of shuttles provided at port instead of the Diamond Princess one (quite expensive) that would take you to downtown. The taxi line was quite long on our day there and the DP shuttle was expensive. Walking out to the tram station was too far for some of us so we took the taxi after patiently waiting for a bit. 

The City View Bus was a good transportation between the sites just not to and from port. 

I also have videos on other ports like Beppu, Seogwipo, Miyazaki, and Wakayama. If you click on my name "Taste of Retirement" under the video, then go to 'video' you will find a list of all the videos that we have. Hope this help.

We have stayed at Intercontinental Yokohama Grand before, a beautiful hotel. It's a little walk from the train station with luggage but a nice area to be. You may find more information in my blog post of other ports in Hokkaido in the past if not on the video list. That was before I started learning to edit videos during the pandemic.

7 minutes ago, ROCruiser said:

Sorry it took me so long to see your post. So glad that my video helped. Yes, we were in Kagoshima and here is the video on that day. Now come to think of it, check to see if there are other kind of shuttles provided at port instead of the Diamond Princess one (quite expensive) that would take you to downtown. The taxi line was quite long on our day there and the DP shuttle was expensive. Walking out to the tram station was too far for some of us so we took the taxi after patiently waiting for a bit. 

The City View Bus was a good transportation between the sites just not to and from port. 

I also have videos on other ports like Beppu, Seogwipo, Miyazaki, and Wakayama. If you click on my name "Taste of Retirement" under the video, then go to 'video' you will find a list of all the videos that we have. Hope this help.

I really enjoyed your video on Nagasaki, so I looked at posts by you, and found the link to your video and blog.  The last 2 days, I watched a lot of your videos; truly enjoyed all of them.  I even "bookmark bar" your link so I can watch more videos whenever I have time.  The hot pot you had in HK is very interesting.  I will be going there for 4 days in Dec., will try to find a restaurant that offers that kind of hot pot.  I can read Chinese and can understand some Mandarin, which makes watching your video more enjoyable.  I love to travel, and have visited 70+ countries.  I really envy of your retirement life.  One day, I plan to travel like you.  But at this point, I don't want to be away from home more than 3 weeks at a time because my mom is age 95.      

Our 7 days cruise in Sept., we will have a port stop in Kagoshima.  There will only be 2 of us, so I plan to take the taxi to Kagoshima Chuo station, which is stop #1, for the City View bus.  We plan to do a complete loop, then get off at the last stop, Tenmonkan, and do shopping there.  Then take taxi from there back to ship.

After that cruise, we will be staying at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand hotel for 5 nights.  Seven friends from L.A. will arrive and join us there.  After that 5 days, all 9 of us will board Diamond Princess again for their 9-day Hokkaido cruise.  Kagoshima is also on the itinerary.  Since it will be the first time for the other 7 people, we will probably do the City View bus again. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ROCruiser said:

We have stayed at Intercontinental Yokohama Grand before, a beautiful hotel. It's a little walk from the train station with luggage but a nice area to be. You may find more information in my blog post of other ports in Hokkaido in the past if not on the video list. That was before I started learning to edit videos during the pandemic.

On my last Japan cruise in 2018, we stayed in Yokohama nearby Chinatown, which was nice.  That hotel was only about 10 minutes walk to the Osanbashi Pier. This time, I want to try out the Minato Mirai area.  So we booked the Yokohama Grand IHG hotel for 1 night pre-cruise and 5 nights between the 2 cruises.  From Haneda airport, there is airport bus that have a stop directly in front of the hotel, so that is nice.  

I was just going to say that my Kagoshima video was the one time that the auto subtitle did not work therefore no captions was available. Good to know that you understand Mandarin! Wow! I am so envious of your trips coming up. Sounds fun! We love traveling around Japan. I am sure you all will have a great time!

1 minute ago, ROCruiser said:

I was just going to say that my Kagoshima video was the one time that the auto subtitle did not work therefore no captions was available. Good to know that you understand Mandarin! Wow! I am so envious of your trips coming up. Sounds fun! We love traveling around Japan. I am sure you all will have a great time!

Thank you.  BTW, I am also from L.A. ☺️

On 7/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, ROCruiser said:

Dear ROCruiser;

Hello, sorry to drop in ,

Enjoyed watching your Kagoshima Video.

We are stopping in Kagoshima on Diamond Princess this September.  We are thinking to take a taxi from the Kagoshima port to town as my mother can not walk far.

Would you mind telling me how long you had to wait for the Taxi at the port?  Did you get off the ship as soon as the ship arrived at Kagoshima port?

Thank you.

12 hours ago, adventurenerd said:

Dear ROCruiser;

Hello, sorry to drop in ,

Enjoyed watching your Kagoshima Video.

We are stopping in Kagoshima on Diamond Princess this September.  We are thinking to take a taxi from the Kagoshima port to town as my mother can not walk far.

Would you mind telling me how long you had to wait for the Taxi at the port?  Did you get off the ship as soon as the ship arrived at Kagoshima port?

Thank you.

Hi! Yes, we always try to get off the ship as early as possible to avoid the crowds. The taxi line was about a 15-20 minutes wait (it felt much longer though). Maybe it has improved now because we were the first ship in port after the pandemic. As I suggested, check to see if there are other cheaper shuttles available at port once you got off instead of the expensive ones offer by Diamond Princess. We figured for the 8 of us, it was cheaper to get two taxis instead of using the shuttles. The closest tram station is pretty far from the cruise port. Have a wonderful cruise! 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, ROCruiser said:

@ROCruiser I really enjoyed your video on Nagasaki.  I wish I understood Mandarin!  We will be headed on the Diamond Princess in late October.  You mentioned somewhere that you have visited Japan several times.  Would you tell me which month and year you visited Japan so that I can read your blogs, please?  I really like how detailed you were on your videos, too.  If you ever visited Busan, Korea, please direct me to your blog and video on that city, too.   Thank you so much for sharing your trips with us.

Thank you so much for the kind words. 

We have been to Japan many times but I have only recorded a few visits there in my blog. A longer cruise that we went on around Japan was July 2015. That one included a port day in Busan (which may be different now transportation wise). Then, we also had some port days in Japan on our transpacific cruise May of 2018; a family reunion cruise to Japan November 2018; and a couple of ports on a cruise out from Yokohama to Singapore December 2018. In July 2019, we did a Japan cruise from Hong Kong. Lately, the March cruises from Singapore to Japan and another transpacific cruise in May of 2023. These are all in my blog, not all on videos because I started learning how to edit videos during the pandemic. Here is the link to the Home Page of my blog. Thank you so much for visiting.

11 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

Thank you so much for the kind words. 

We have been to Japan many times but I have only recorded a few visits there in my blog. A longer cruise that we went on around Japan was July 2015. That one included a port day in Busan (which may be different now transportation wise). Then, we also had some port days in Japan on our transpacific cruise May of 2018; a family reunion cruise to Japan November 2018; and a couple of ports on a cruise out from Yokohama to Singapore December 2018. In July 2019, we did a Japan cruise from Hong Kong. Lately, the March cruises from Singapore to Japan and another transpacific cruise in May of 2023. These are all in my blog, not all on videos because I started learning how to edit videos during the pandemic. Here is the link to the Home Page of my blog. Thank you so much for visiting.

@ROCruiser  
Thank you very much for the dates of your trips to Japan and Busan.  Your blogs were great!  You all have a lot of energy going to so many places on your own.  I took some notes and will check out your videos when I get a chance.  We're going with a bunch of people, too, and I would be s nervous wreck to lose people in Busan.  I'm thinking that maybe we should all have Apple air tags on us. LOL.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:37 PM, Californian said:

@ROCruiser  
Thank you very much for the dates of your trips to Japan and Busan.  Your blogs were great!  You all have a lot of energy going to so many places on your own.  I took some notes and will check out your videos when I get a chance.  We're going with a bunch of people, too, and I would be s nervous wreck to lose people in Busan.  I'm thinking that maybe we should all have Apple air tags on us. LOL.  

Thank you! I started the blog about 10 years ago, mainly to keep memories alive when husband kept forgetting where we have been and to let friends and family know what we have done. Same thing with the videos. Hoping these records will help travelers who may be visiting these ports in the future. Have a wonderful trip. It's not easy to take a group along, air tags can be a good idea. Haha!

On 7/22/2023 at 1:36 AM, chubbypiggy said:

On my last Japan cruise in 2018, we stayed in Yokohama nearby Chinatown, which was nice.  That hotel was only about 10 minutes walk to the Osanbashi Pier. This time, I want to try out the Minato Mirai area.  So we booked the Yokohama Grand IHG hotel for 1 night pre-cruise and 5 nights between the 2 cruises.  From Haneda airport, there is airport bus that have a stop directly in front of the hotel, so that is nice.  

Can you recall the hotel that was 10 mins walk to Osanbashi Pier please? Recommended?  We will be arriving in Yokohama by train.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Can you recall the hotel that was 10 mins walk to Osanbashi Pier please? Recommended?  We will be arriving in Yokohama by train.

It is the Daiwa Roynet Hotel - Koen.  Very nice 3-star hotel, convenient to metro station, Chinatown, and cruise pier.

https://www.daiwaroynet.jp/yokohama-koen/

• Thanks 1