Boarding documents- changed last name

I got married a few years ago and changed my last name, but havent had a need to update it on my passport yet. My question is, if I use my birth certificate and drivers license as my form of ID, my birth certificate name is in my maiden name and my license is in my married name (cruise is booked under married name). Will my marriage certificate be sufficient to provide with the birth certificate and ID to show the name change, or should I spend the money to get my passport updated instead?

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Your marriage license and passport would work just as well and then you'd have your passport should something untoward happen the caused you to need to fly home early.

I didnt think about that, thats a good idea. thanks!

• Like 1

While not necessarily required as discussed above, personally (and if you have sufficient time before your cruise), I would get your passport updated. Just to be on the safe side..

If you do this, all of the above methods become unnecessary for travel/identification. IMO it's always best to have a valid/up to date passport if you enjoy travel, especially internationally.

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Your marriage license and passport would work just as well and then you'd have your passport should something untoward happen the caused you to need to fly home early.

Are you sure a passport doesn’t require updating for a name change after a certain amount of time?  My be better to use a DL and BC with the marriage license as the bridge.  But even a DL is supposed to updated at a certain point.   OP could also just book the cruise using the name on their passport?  Same for any flights?