Silhouette - Wine choice in Luminae and Retreat service

hampshirelad

I sailed on the Silhouette in March. I can't speak to the specific wines, but everyone in my group loved the sommelier in Luminae. I think his name was Carlos. I told him what I was ordering and he had an immediate suggestion that I loved. One of my companions described what she wanted, and he chose something great for her, too. The food was wonderful. We also really liked the service and friendliness from the Retreat concierges, and everyone on the staff was great.

• Like 1

Impossible to say which wines any given ship will have on any given sailing and in any given venue. Best thing to do is ask the sommelier what they are able to pour by the glass for you. In Luminae especially, they are eager to please and will be able to offer things you won't find on any menu.

• Like 1

My experience has been that if you wish a wine that is not on the Luminae Wine menu and available at another bar, the Sommelier will try to locate it for you.   He may not be able to do this the first night but I have had them get it and have it on hand for me for the remainder of the cruise.   Same for the Retreat Bar. 

• Like 2

Ditto what Jim said...

Carlos was fantastic on our Silhouette TA cruise in April.

Don't forget to bring 2 bottles of wine on board if possible - there is no corkage fee in Luminae (assuming you have a alcoholic beverage package, usually standard in a suite). If you do, give Carlos ( or whoever the sommelier is ) " the last glass"; he/she will appreciate it !!

1 hour ago, Pennstatedj said:

Another vote for Carlos, he gave me a different red each night. 

Also, what Jim said. Not the first night have Decoy, or Mer Sol for white. 

Mer Sol is my go to wine. Last year I heard X was having problems getting Mer Sol. So I brought my own. The sommelier in Luminae said they were down to only a few bottles. Lucky for me they had loaded more Mer Sol on the ship in Seattle.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Mer Sol is my go to wine. Last year I heard X was having problems getting Mer Sol. So I brought my own. The sommelier in Luminae said they were down to only a few bottles. Lucky for me they had loaded more Mer Sol on the ship in Seattle.

If you like Mer Soleil try the Sonoma Cutrer. Not available onboard but you can bring on 2 bottles.  Much better IMO.

• Thanks 1

My wife is the mer sol lover, at home she like kj chard. On board sometimes they run out of mer sol or kj or elegance(KJ made). I will tell her about Sonoma Cutrer. It is 27 here in fla. Thats a little more than Mer Soleil and a lot more of her go to KJ which is around 10. Maybe on a special occasion we will try. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

. I will tell her about Sonoma Cutrer. It is 27 here in fla.

Its $21 at Total wine also has a higher rating than the Mer Soleil. I suggest buying a bottle probably won't go back to Mer Soleil.  I live in Canada and one of my local liquor stores was delisting the product so I bought a case at 20 bucks a bottle. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 12:57 PM, Jim_Iain said:

My experience has been that if you wish a wine that is not on the Luminae Wine menu and available at another bar, the Sommelier will try to locate it for you.   He may not be able to do this the first night but I have had them get it and have it on hand for me for the remainder of the cruise.   Same for the Retreat Bar. 

How to figure out what wines are in each venue that you might like to have?  Are they in the app?