Have you brought alcohol onto the ship other than at the embarkation port?

Stockjock

Many cruise lines allow you to bring aboard at least 1 bottle of wine per person, but MSC doesn't allow this.  That said, it seems as if MSC rarely checks from what I can tell, other than at the initial embarkation port.

So have you tried to bring alcohol on the ship other than at the embarkation point?  Any problems or confiscations?

On 5 out of 6 trips so far, we have brought alcohol from whichever port we were at in the time onboard with zero issues. On the 6th trip we didn't buy any alcohol so no idea if that's the one where they would have started securing it for us. We didn't see any station setup post security to collect it, so I'd say it's safe to say they didn't. 

• Like 1

We quite often board Mediterranean cruises with a bottle of wine or two in our suitcases, and have not had any issues.   On one occasion suitcases were delivered as normal, but had a sticker of a wine bottle on one of them.  

We bought liquor in Curacao on our April Meraviglia sailing and we did have it taken and then delivered to our room on the last night. Honestly, though, we didn't try to walk past the table where they were taking it or anything. We intended to bring it home with us, not drink it on the ship, so we didn't try to hide it or sneak by.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if there's a limit as to how much liquor one can buy in port for the purpose of bringing it home? We're taking a Canada/New England cruise in about 10 days and my husband wants to buy various beers and liquors for himself, as well as friends and coworkers.  I know we can't bring it to our cabin for consumption, and that they'll hold it until the end of the cruise. Given it will be for multiple people, that could amount to several liquor bottles and probably a few 6-packs of beer or mutliple single cans.

@CTGirl74 I assume you are sailing  from a US port and returning to a US port.  That being the case you and your husband are allowed one liter each of alcohol duty free.  If you exceed this limit you will need to make a customs decloration on excess alcohol and possibly pay import taxes. 

That being said, I am not aware of any restrictions imposed by the cruise lines.  We brought four liters of alcohol back on one Caribbean cruise.  Gave the customs declaration from to the customs agent and he just waved us through.  This was pre-COVID and on a different cruisel ine. 

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@CTGirl74 I assume you are sailing  from a US port and returning to a US port.  That being the case you and your husband are allowed one liter each of alcohol duty free.  If you exceed this limit you will need to make a customs decloration on excess alcohol and possibly pay import taxes. 

That being said, I am not aware of any restrictions imposed by the cruise lines.  We brought four liters of alcohol back on one Caribbean cruise.  Gave the customs declaration from to the customs agent and he just waved us through.  This was pre-COVID and on a different cruisel ine. 

Yes, it's from and back to the US. Thanks!

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I've also declared an extra bottle or two and been waived through.  I think the key is to declare what you bring and let the agent make the determination as to whether you owe duty or not.

• Like 3