"Specialty" teas? Are there any that aren't free? Anything that the Plus package would cover?

CoffeeBoy

1 minute ago, CoffeeBoy said:

I love coffee but my partner drinks tea. Specialty coffees, sure, but specialty teas? Do they have premium teas you can get anywhere / anywhen else besides the Afternoon Tea?

The International Cafe has teas and Chai Tea Lattes 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoffeeBoy said:

I love coffee but my partner drinks tea. Specialty coffees, sure, but specialty teas? Do they have premium teas you can get anywhere / anywhen else besides the Afternoon Tea?

Yes, at the International Cafe. They used to have Mighty Leaf exclusively, but not anymore after the pause. They have Tea & Company sometimes Mighty Leaf, Numi, and Harney & Sons. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jadn13 said:

The International Cafe has teas and Chai Tea Lattes 

I’m a Tea drinker. A strange one who hates coffee in any form- including cake 😂 

I’m cruising with Princess for the first time in August. Didn’t realise they do Chai tea lattes! This makes me very happy 😃 

• Like 1

Just now, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

I’m cruising with Princess for the first time in August. Didn’t realise they do Chai tea lattes! This makes me very happy 😃 

They do, but use the Chai Spice Torani Syrup.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you get a true barista, they can make a killer London Fog Latte. thank you

i don’t think I’ve ever seen this drink served in the UK despite it’s name. I’ve had to look it up! I can seriously see some British tea drinkers looking at this and going ‘you are doing what with Earl Grey? No’

It’s not usually drunk with a lot of milk here. If any

personally I think they sound great so hopefully I can try one on board 🤞

do they do the lattes iced too?

Unsure about the chai syrup 😬 but we’ll see

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

i don’t think I’ve ever seen this drink served in the UK despite it’s name. I’ve had to look it up! I can seriously see some British tea drinkers looking at this and going ‘you are doing what with Earl Grey? 

It’s not usually drunk with a lot of milk here. If any

personally I think they sound great so hopefully I can try one on board 🤞

do they do the lattes iced too?

Unsure about the chai syrup 😬 but we’ll see

They do the iced lattes also. You can either order in person or on the app, many choices/variables for tea drinks. London Fog Latte and Earl Grey Latte are the same. I believe they have steamed milk, vanilla and honey. 

There's also a delicious Honey Lavender Latte.  

I'm used to having my chai tea made with two teabags, so the syrup is a bit different. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Thanks 1

On the Sky in December they had Mighty Leaf loose leaf black tea down at the IC.  They said it was the last bag of it (thankfully it was a big bag). That was it as far as any "premium" teas. Gone was the selection of Mighty Leaf tea bags that had existed pre-pandemic. The only tea bags that were available were the same cheap (and definitely not premium) tea bags that have been available in the buffet for free for as long as I've cruised with Princess. I was disappointed. I hadn't realized they'd eliminated premium tea when I was analyzing the cost of the Plus package so that was frustrating too. If I'd decided against the Plus package, that I believed would include multiple decent tea options, I would've brought my own tea but oh well...I managed.

I don't really understand them not carrying at least some decent tea, the bags last such a long time so it is not like it is a spoilage issue. It doesn't have to be Mighty Leaf but something of comparable quality would be very much appreciated! I don't even need a huge variety but would love at least a black, green, white and herbal option. I really hope that the situation I experienced on the Sky was unique and there will be something a little better the next time I'm onboard.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

So this is a tea latte and not coffee?  I saw it on the menu when I was on Sky a couple of weeks ago.  I assumed it was coffee and thought coffee & lavender sounded horrible together.  I would have tried it had I known it was tea.

5 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

So this is a tea latte and not coffee?  I saw it on the menu when I was on Sky a couple of weeks ago.  I assumed it was coffee and thought coffee & lavender sounded horrible together.  I would have tried it had I known it was tea.

Sorry, yes, it's coffee, but it's delicious. So delicious, we purchased the Monin Lavender syrup to replicate the drink at home. 

8 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Me too!  Coffee... 🤮  I also ask for London fog.  And they have all those syrups so you can ask for anything...

7 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

They do the iced lattes also. You can either order in person or on the app, many choices/variables for tea drinks. London Fog Latte and Earl Grey Latte are the same. I believe they have steamed milk, vanilla and honey. 

I'm used to having my chai tea made with two teabags, so the syrup is a bit different. 

Just request it made with a bag... I did!

7 hours ago, minabruuke said:

On the Sky in December they had Mighty Leaf loose leaf black tea down at the IC.  They said it was the last bag of it (thankfully it was a big bag). That was it as far as any "premium" teas. Gone was the selection of Mighty Leaf tea bags that had existed pre-pandemic. The only tea bags that were available were the same cheap (and definitely not premium) tea bags that have been available in the buffet for free for as long as I've cruised with Princess. I was disappointed. I hadn't realized they'd eliminated premium tea when I was analyzing the cost of the Plus package so that was frustrating too. If I'd decided against the Plus package, that I believed would include multiple decent tea options, I would've brought my own tea but oh well...I managed.

I don't really understand them not carrying at least some decent tea, the bags last such a long time so it is not like it is a spoilage issue. It doesn't have to be Mighty Leaf but something of comparable quality would be very much appreciated! I don't even need a huge variety but would love at least a black, green, white and herbal option. I really hope that the situation I experienced on the Sky was unique and there will be something a little better the next time I'm onboard.

7 hours ago, minabruuke said:

I was on Enchanted for 30 days in February/March, and like you we had the Plus package counting on the Mighty Leaf teas that I’ve enjoyed for the last several years.  For most of the cruise I was told they hadn’t seen any Mighty Leaf for a very long time. In the last 10 day segment I was given one very beat up envelope of black tea, but I only drink green or white tea.  I was very glad I brought some of my own tea bags   Also they didn’t have any syrups like peach or raspberry that would be suitable for iced tea like they had in past years.  

I was on the Sky at the end of January and on the Regal in May. International Cafe had Bigelow herb tea bags, same as the tea in the buffet.  The Mighty Leaf Tea's selection that used to be available were no longer offered. 

If one wants "really special" or "really good" tea it's a simple matter to bring one's own tea bags. Hot water is always available at IC and people can use it to brew the tea they prefer. I'm not trying to be a smart a** with the above quotes. I know some folks are very particular about their tea and I see no reason not to take their preferred tea onboard with them. If the tea is important to you, take your own with you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If one wants "really special" or "really good" tea it's a simple matter to bring one's own tea bags. Hot water is always available at IC and people can use it to brew the tea they prefer. I'm not trying to be a smart a** with the above quotes. I know some folks are very particular about their tea and I see no reason not to take their preferred tea onboard with them. If the tea is important to you, take your own with you.

I am partial to Republic of Tea and always bring a tin or two along with me when I travel.  That’s the kind I’m used to and if Princess can supply the hot water, that’s all I need.

My attention was caught, when HOT tea was mentioned, as I am NOT a coffee drinker either. I do have a question. I understand/see that they use the tea bags, but have you seen them use any "flavored" syrup teas? This I love, but they are hard to find.

3 hours ago, beshears said:

My attention was caught, when HOT tea was mentioned, as I am NOT a coffee drinker either. I do have a question. I understand/see that they use the tea bags, but have you seen them use any "flavored" syrup teas? This I love, but they are hard to find.

When we were on Enchanted for 30 days this past winter the only syrups they had were for coffee.  None of the flavors would be suitable for tea.  On past Princess cruises I enjoyed the peach, raspberry and other fruit flavors in my tea.  I bring plenty of my favorite tea bags.

I've got GOOD news (at least it is in my opinion). I can get hot water at IC to go with my premium tea that I pack from home. No Coffee Pkg needed. And I get EXACTLY the tea I like. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I've got GOOD news (at least it is in my opinion). I can get hot water at IC to go with my premium tea that I pack from home. No Coffee Pkg needed. And I get EXACTLY the tea I like. 

I just got off the Sky on the 17th.  There was a water kettle in our room, so we could boil our own water and make tea without leaving the room.  My husband grabbed some peppermint tea bags from the buffet.  I know peppermint probably isn't the specialty teas folks are talking about in the post, but just in case someone cares, the brand was Eilles Tea.   I don't recall the brand of english breakfast tea that was provided in the cabin.  I only made the peppermint.

ETA:  We sailed out of Southamptom, so maybe the kettles are specific to that region???

Edited by TN-Mountains
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Sorry, yes, it's coffee, but it's delicious. So delicious, we purchased the Monin Lavender syrup to replicate the drink at home. 

Thanks for clarifying.  I had a package, so I should have just tried the latte since it was included, but I hate to be wasteful.  Plus, I made the mistake of venturing out and trying one of their specialty alcoholic drinks.  It was terrible and the taste lingered for an hour.  I guess I was too scared to try much else after that!  🙂

1 hour ago, TN-Mountains said:

Thanks for clarifying.  I had a package, so I should have just tried the latte since it was included, but I hate to be wasteful.  Plus, I made the mistake of venturing out and trying one of their specialty alcoholic drinks.  It was terrible and the taste lingered for an hour.  I guess I was too scared to try much else after that!  🙂

You can always ask for a small in a To-Stay ceramic cup, then little to no waste. 

FritzG, thank you for telling me the syrups would be for coffee, which I don't drink. I do know it is hard to get syrups for hot tea, but once in a while when I ASK, they do have them, that is why I ask here. 🙂

Thanks to whoever told me what the IC stood for as well.