Haven: Forward Facing Penthouse or Courtyard balcony

KKB

Forward facing is 2 rooms, 420-450 sq. ft.

Courtyard balcony is 325 ft. but it has the Courtyard access--it is 400 more total than the Forward facing room.

Edited by KKB

Yes which ship! I have sailed in both and we love the forward facing simply becasue of the private bedroom. your butler wont even knock when bringing breakfast or coffee to the room just tells you close the bedroom door and he will sneak in sneak out and set everything up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Sorry--Getaway

Forward deck 11

Courtyard deck 15

I'd probably go for the forward-facing (balcony is on the side) in that case. The separate bedroom would be more important (to me) than being in the enclave. The balcony is small for both choices (especially on Breakaway/Getaway) but the difference isn't huge between the 2.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'd probably go for the forward-facing (balcony is on the side) in that case. The separate bedroom would be more important (to me) than being in the enclave. The balcony is small for both choices (especially on Breakaway/Getaway) but the difference isn't huge between the 2.

I agree I was on breakaway forward facing haven, balcony is small, but the bathroom and bedroom are fantastic 

• Like 2

The forward-facing penthouse is a special room that also has access to special amenities. The courtyard room is pretty much a standard balcony that is very close to said amenities. I’d do the forward-facing every time. At least while I’m young enough to not mind a few extra steps. 

We have been in the Courtyard Haven on Getaway and of course loved it, but we are looking forward to our first Forward Facing Haven in a few months.

Some awesome person created this spreadsheet years ago and posted a link on this forum.  

It has links to all kinds of information about cabins on Getaway/Breakaway:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KKB said:

Forward facing is 2 rooms, 420-450 sq. ft.

Courtyard balcony is 325 ft. but it has the Courtyard access--it is 400 more total than the Forward facing room.

It is a toss up. We have done both.

Being in the Haven complex is preferred. But those rooms are “studios” which is just one room.

The forward facing suites have a separate living room. Large amounts of storage. Forward views out of a big porthole. And a small side balcony. we really like the extra space and separate living room, but it is a hike to get to the Haven. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is a toss up. We have done both.

Being in the Haven complex is preferred. But those rooms are “studios” which is just one room.

The forward facing suites have a separate living room. Large amounts of storage. Forward views out of a big porthole. And a small side balcony. we really like the extra space and separate living room, but it is a hike to get to the Haven. 

Not really a hike, only have to go up an elevator to the haven complex. Aft is absolutely a hike, we had one on the joy, loved the huge balcony and also the second bathroom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

Not really a hike, only have to go up an elevator to the haven complex. Aft is absolutely a hike, we had one on the joy, loved the huge balcony and also the second bathroom 

We did a FF Penthouse on 9 on the Getaway in March and regretted not being in the Haven proper. We spent almost all of our time in the Haven and didn't feel we needed the extra space in the room, but obviously others disagree.  All a matter of personal preference.  The Getaway doesn't have dedicated elevators and getting back and forth wasn't hard, but the elevators were often very busy.  We did find it to be a bit of a "hike" with our little one. 

• Like 1

We were on the Getaway in May, and often saw elevators locked out. I know they do that for Haven guests sometimes, so that's what we figured was going on every time we saw them that way. Occasionally they even put up a little sign.

Edited by omahabob

• 7 months later...

What did you opt for?  I’m facing similar situation booked NCL Encore in forward facing Haven room on deck 12.  Traveling with spouse and 7 year old son.  I’m debating on changing rooms to Courtyard Haven to be closer to amenities but I also like the extra space forward facing room has.  Never been on NCL do I don’t know how much of an inconvenience it is to go from deck 12 up to the Haven

1 hour ago, amgfl said:

What did you opt for?  I’m facing similar situation booked NCL Encore in forward facing Haven room on deck 12.  Traveling with spouse and 7 year old son.  I’m debating on changing rooms to Courtyard Haven to be closer to amenities but I also like the extra space forward facing room has.  Never been on NCL do I don’t know how much of an inconvenience it is to go from deck 12 up to the Haven

Not sure who you are asking. This thread has been dead for 8 months. 

The penthouse will be a lot smaller room. The fed facing, your son has the living room to sleep I while you have the master bedroom. In the penthouse, he would be on a pull out next to your bed. 

We just did a Deck 12 Fwd Haven and did not have any issues with it. We would even run up to the Haven bar to pick up drinks and bring them back. 

It is a hike. But workable. 

We did the Breakaway FF 9106 last year out of New Orleans. I absolutely hated the FF because of the postage stamp balcony. I much prefer rear large balcony but I signed up too late. 

I also grew to hate the Haven dining. Same boring menu every day for breakfast, Lunch, and dinner. A little variety would help a lot.

I'm booked on the Dawn next month. It doesn't have a Haven exactly. I can't wait to see what this will be like. My expectation is low so I'm hoping I set it low enough to not be disappointed. 

And I do so look forward to having 20% added for my inconvenience. Nickel and dime to death! And the don't have any white Crème de Menthe.

How sad.

2 hours ago, bullseye19 said:

We did the Breakaway FF 9106 last year out of New Orleans. I absolutely hated the FF because of the postage stamp balcony. ... I also grew to hate the Haven dining. Same boring menu every day for breakfast, Lunch, and dinner. ... My expectation is low so I'm hoping I set it low enough to not be disappointed. ... And I do so look forward to having 20% added for my inconvenience. Nickel and dime to death!

Why are you cruising with NCL?

2 hours ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

Why are you cruising with NCL?

Wanted to try a different cruise line - my cruises have all been Royal Caribbean - wanted to try something new.  

6 hours ago, amgfl said:

Wanted to try a different cruise line - my cruises have all been Royal Caribbean - wanted to try something new.  

Pretty much the exactly same as RCCL. You can spend a lot of money or no money (nickels and dimes). And the Haven Restaurant is far far far superior to the RCCL suites restaurant on small ships and Coastal Kitchen on lg ships. On our last RCCL cruise, we walked out of CL twice and went to the Windjammer for better food. 

The Dawn is one of the oldest and smallest of the NCL ships. The suites restaurant is in Cagney’s serving a Haven-like menu. Far superior to Chops on sm RCCL ships. 

We did the courthouse on this ship with a 4 year old and it’s doable but cramped,  it was nice being in the Haven but less room to play in the room and the 3rd sleeper is just a pull out chair.  We picked it because we wanted to be closer to Haven than the forward/ but I could see the extra space in the cabin being worth the walk.  Having said that- we upgraded to a 2 bedroom once and now we try and book those when we can- then you get space plus being in the haven & 2 baths

Edited by Figg1437

I have stayed in the Forward facing Haven, and the walk to the Haven isn't that bad. You are already forward so its simply an elevator ride to the Haven. The extra room is great only down side really is the tiny balcony. 

Now if I am staying outside the Haven now its always the Aft facing Haven suite. Now it is a long walk to the Haven but the Balcony is Huge, bedroom and living room plus the aft has a 2nd full bathroom! Was amazing on the Joy. 

• Like 1