NCL Air

Smitheroo

I have searched this forum and the NCL website and still have questions about NCL Air.  How does this work?  I'll give a simple example 

2 passengers live in eastern Massachusetts and want to book a TA which leaves from Miami and arrives in Southhampton.  so each of them would need a flight to Miami to get on the ship  and a flight home from Southhampton.   How does this work?

Thanks

BOGO?

Add it to your booking, NCL will book your flights sometime between 75 days and 30 days (or so) before sailing.

You accept whatever flights they book.  You have until 75 days before the cruise to request deviations.

And there are DEFINITELY threads where this is hashed and re-hashed, there are many of them...

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, hallux said:

BOGO?

Add it to your booking, NCL will book your flights sometime between 75 days and 30 days (or so) before sailing.

You accept whatever flights they book.  You have until 75 days before the cruise to request deviations.

And there are DEFINITELY threads where this is hashed and re-hashed, there are many of them...

I couldnt find the answer I am looking for.  So let's say this is the BOGO offer. So do they charge passenger #1 for Boston to Miami and then Southhampton  back to Boston? and passenger #2 is free for those same flights ?  i understand how it would work when you leave from and come back to the same port.

Can you choose the Air promotion and then remove it as long as its done before final payment?   I realize this decision would be made before they notified you of your flights. Maybe you changed your mind or found a flight you really liked

Edited by Smitheroo

44 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

So do they charge passenger #1 for Boston to Miami and then Southhampton  back to Boston? and passenger #2 is free for those same flights ?  i understand how it would work when you leave from and come back to the same port.

They estimate the airfare then charge for only one person.

44 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Can you choose the Air promotion and then remove it as long as its done before final payment?

Yes, then it's likely subject to the cancellation fee schedule.

They will arrange the flights in both directions to and from the city you ask for in both directions.  It doesn’t necessarily need to be the same city, but you have to call them to arrange that.  I travel often with a friend that lives in a different city.  We are able to use the BOGO with each of us traveling from our respective cities, including on a transatlantic.  But as others have said, you have no control over the flights.  If you fly out of different cities you may leave or arrive at different times and on different airlines.  It’s cleaner if your itineraries are the same.  

37 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

They will arrange the flights in both directions to and from the city you ask for in both directions.  It doesn’t necessarily need to be the same city, but you have to call them to arrange that.  I travel often with a friend that lives in a different city.  We are able to use the BOGO with each of us traveling from our respective cities, including on a transatlantic.  But as others have said, you have no control over the flights.  If you fly out of different cities you may leave or arrive at different times and on different airlines.  It’s cleaner if your itineraries are the same.  

Thank you. I asked this question in the past (how does it work when 1 person in the party is coming from one city and the other is coming from another) No one had an answer. 

Has anyone did a bogo air to Quebec, ending in NYC. I would like to fly up to Quebec 2 days early and fly home right after the cruise.If we disembark in NYC around 9 AM. Is it possible we could wait until 8:00 PM at night to fly back to Cleveland? Would NCL book something his crazy.

@Smitheroo Here is our current NCL air for the Viva. 

NCL air from BDL to FCO, still waiting for air information from NCL. One way, passenger #1 shows the cost, and passenger #2 is zero.

Viva arrives in Miami, so we are flying from FLL back to BDL, using Southwest points.

You can choose a round-trip or one way, it's up you.

46 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Is it possible we could wait until 8:00 PM at night to fly back to Cleveland? Would NCL book something his crazy.

When doing the BOGO air you don't get a choice of flight times.

8 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Has anyone did a bogo air to Quebec, ending in NYC. I would like to fly up to Quebec 2 days early and fly home right after the cruise.If we disembark in NYC around 9 AM. Is it possible we could wait until 8:00 PM at night to fly back to Cleveland? Would NCL book something his crazy.

7 hours ago, hallux said:

True.  You have no control over the flights.  For what it’s worth, twice we were flying home from NYC.  Both times they booked us on very late flights out of NYC.  In or case, we were not happy.  It was a quick one hour flight to DC, which leaves every hour, but they put us on a 10PM flight.  We were not able to change it, but both times we were able to get on standby when we got to the airport and got home earlier.  But there’s no guarantees that you will get a late return.  NCL will book the cheapest flight possible.

11 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I couldnt find the answer I am looking for.  So let's say this is the BOGO offer. So do they charge passenger #1 for Boston to Miami and then Southhampton  back to Boston? and passenger #2 is free for those same flights ?  i understand how it would work when you leave from and come back to the same port.

Is this your concern: that passenger one is charged for the airfare while passenger two isn't charged for any airfare?

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Is this your concern: that passenger one is charged for the airfare while passenger two isn't charged for any airfare?

I just want to know how it works. Since the two people are traveling together  it wouldnt be a concern who is charged and who isnt.  That would be between the two people.    I learned on the website that the person who is charged is the one who the reservation is under.   Someone in another comment above said it even works for her who regularly travels with someone coming from a different part of the country. In that case I guess it would be better to put the reservation under the person with the lower flight costs?

I also learned that in the case of a solo traveler, that person is charged 50% of the airfare.

8 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

In that case I guess it would be better to put the reservation under the person with the lower flight costs?

I don't think that's how it works at all.  I believe they figure the total airfare cost and then give a 50% discount on it, just as is done for the solo traveler.  Even if they did give a credit for one airfare, the usual way a BOGO works when there are two different costs for the items and they are simply discounting a single line-item 100% is that the more expensive one is charged.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I don't think that's how it works at all.  I believe they figure the total airfare cost and then give a 50% discount on it, just as is done for the solo traveler.  Even if they did give a credit for one airfare, the usual way a BOGO works when there are two different costs for the items and they are simply discounting a single line-item 100% is that the more expensive one is charged.

Ok, that makes sense.  

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I just want to know how it works. Since the two people are traveling together  it wouldnt be a concern who is charged and who isnt.  That would be between the two people.    I learned on the website that the person who is charged is the one who the reservation is under.   Someone in another comment above said it even works for her who regularly travels with someone coming from a different part of the country. In that case I guess it would be better to put the reservation under the person with the lower flight costs?

I also learned that in the case of a solo traveler, that person is charged 50% of the airfare.

My partner and I not only travel from different cities, but different countries.  We use NCL BOGO air and get the two day deviation for international cruises.  Depending upon flight arrival times, we either meet at the airport or the hotel.  I make the reservation and the charge for air and deposit are under my name.  We do the math and tell NCL how much to charge each of our CC's for the final payment.  I figure that they estimate the cost of the more expensive flight and charge that amount.  On our last cruise it saved us a couple thousand, and we were actually on the same flight from Cape Town to Atlanta before we both continued on to our final destinations.  One odd thing about that Delta flight was I had a cheap ticket where I couldn't make a seat selection, and my partner was seated in premium.  We were going to trade seats halfway through the 16 hour flight, but I had an empty seat next to me and more room.  Since he had a tighter connection in Atlanta, he stayed in the premium seat closer to the front.  

8 minutes ago, RenoDuck said:

My partner and I not only travel from different cities, but different countries.  We use NCL BOGO air and get the two day deviation for international cruises.  Depending upon flight arrival times, we either meet at the airport or the hotel.  I make the reservation and the charge for air and deposit are under my name.  We do the math and tell NCL how much to charge each of our CC's for the final payment.  I figure that they estimate the cost of the more expensive flight and charge that amount.  On our last cruise it saved us a couple thousand, and we were actually on the same flight from Cape Town to Atlanta before we both continued on to our final destinations.  One odd thing about that Delta flight was I had a cheap ticket where I couldn't make a seat selection, and my partner was seated in premium.  We were going to trade seats halfway through the 16 hour flight, but I had an empty seat next to me and more room.  Since he had a tighter connection in Atlanta, he stayed in the premium seat closer to the front.  

I’m not sure how they calculate the fare when there are two cities/countries involved, but I’m sure they can do it.  You would have to call NCL directly.  There’s no way to do it online. As far as payment goes, I always just pay it all, we divide by two for the whole cruise and my friend pays me.  Works for us and I get triple points on my NCL credit card for the whole cost.

22 minutes ago, RenoDuck said:

thank you, sounds good

17 hours ago, hallux said:

If I do bogo air to Quebec with a two day deviation ,before the cruise, is their a chance they will fly me into Montreal?  

10 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

If I do bogo air to Quebec with a two day deviation ,before the cruise, is their a chance they will fly me into Montreal?  

Per the T&C's, yes.

• Guests embarking or disembarking in Quebec City may be reserved on flights arriving or departing from Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) to ensure the most convenient schedule.

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 10:32 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

@Smitheroo Here is our current NCL air for the Viva. 

NCL air from BDL to FCO, still waiting for air information from NCL. One way, passenger #1 shows the cost, and passenger #2 is zero.

Viva arrives in Miami, so we are flying from FLL back to BDL, using Southwest points.

You can choose a round-trip or one way, it's up you.

I hope you made out OK with the Flooding.  I can imagine what the Esopus looks like today.  Stay safe.

@Daniel A We made it thru OK, folks just south of us in Orange County got it bad, real bad. The Ashokan Reservoir is almost full which will spill into the lower Esopus tonight, my fingers are crossed, no more rain.

34 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@Daniel A We made it thru OK, folks just south of us in Orange County got it bad, real bad. The Ashokan Reservoir is almost full which will spill into the lower Esopus tonight, my fingers are crossed, no more rain.

I'm in Northern Westchester.  Just drove home from the Catskills on Saturday and went past the reservoir and crossed Esopus Creek.  Good thing we decided to not spend an extra day in the Catskills.  😉

• Like 1