Delos on your own?

manlie

Has anyone done this without going through the ship? It seems you take the same ferry to the island as everyone else (non ship tours).  The ship excursion is set to start at 8 AM so that’s a lot of waiting around if the first ferry to the island doesn’t leave until 10 AM? And from reading online it is never guaranteed or your ship Medoc which can sometimes cause confusion if you do try and do it on your own. Price wise there is potentially quite a bit of savings but that is not factoring in transportation from where ever the ship docks to getting to where you to purchase tickets

Does anyone have experience doing it either way and any recommendations?

I have been to Delos three times, once on a ship tour and twice doing it on my own. Happy to share what I can with you. I think it's easy to do it on your own BUT you have to be able to be fluid.

From what I have seen, I'm not sure that the cruise lines use the regularly scheduled ferries. I say this because the one time I did it via ship's tour -- and also the last time I was in Mykonos in October 2022 and walked out of the port together with the group that was going to board their boat -- the boat was docked close to the cruise ship terminal. But the regularly scheduled ferries leave from a point that is at the opposite side of Mykonos Town. So unless those ferries load there first, then come around and pick up the cruise passengers (or vice versa), they are hiring a separate boat.

It IS convenient because of that, assuming your ship will dock. I have never (in 4 visits!) been on a ship that tendered.

To do the trip on your own, you can pre-reserve ferry tickets online. I think they automatically book you on the afternoon return that is about 3 hours from your arrival at Delos. The ferry takes about 30 minutes.

To get to the spot where the ferries leave from, you will need to get from the port to the town (you can do this by inexpensive shuttle, inexpensive taxi boat, or just walk. The walk isn't a pleasant one, so I'd pick one of the first two options).

Once you get off the shuttle or boat, keep walking through Mykonos town, staying as close to the water as you can and keeping it on your right. Once you get through the main part of town, you'll probably be able to see the small kiosk and dock for the ferry to Delos.

If you tender into town, all the better. You'll be closer and can avoid the shuttle or taxi boat ride. 

You can pick either just the ferry ticket & return, or add a guided tour. Unless you know a lot about the ancient site in particular (Delos is a bit different, both in terms of how it functioned in the ancient world and in terms of its archaeology), I would recommend the tour.  If you really want to do it on your own, there is a guide to Delos that I have found very useful: 

https://www.amazon.com/Mykonos-Delos-Mcgilchrists-Greek-Islands/dp/1907859039/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1V7IOCHWVST3N&keywords=Delos+guide&qid=1688254408&sprefix=delos+guide%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-12

A couple of other things to note:

I believe the archaeological museum onsite at Delos is currently closed due to efforts to enlarge and improve it. That means there'll be nowhere to get out of the heat, if you there in high season. I think the bathrooms are still open there as well as a place to get a cold drink. Bring plenty of water and a hat -- the place just radiates heat.

Finally, should you want to stay longer than your return ferry ticket time, you are allowed to take a later ferry. Just be sure that there IS one -- after around mid-October I think the number of scheduled ferries is reduced until the following season.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I will try to answer. I love the place -- will be going back for a 4th visit later this year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was on Delos in May of this year.  I took a Royal Caribbean excursion on the Explorer of the Seas.  We were docked at the New Port.  We boarded the boat to Delos right from the New Port, a short walk from our ship.  Our excursion also started at 8:00 and we were on that boat about that time.  The boat was only for the excursion.  We went straight to Delos and were there about 8:45 or so, I guess.  We were the only ones on the island other than some employees.  Note, there were multiple tour groups of our excursion, each with a guide.  The guides took the groups off in different directions to spread us out some.  But we had the island to ourselves.  

Our boat then went back empty to Mykonos.  It picked up paying customers in Old Town and then brought them over to Delos.  That was the 10:00 departure from Old Town.  So it was 10:30 or so before the next crowd of people descended on to Delos. 

What I can't recall is whether we rode that boat back to Mykonos at 11:00 or so, or if there was another boat in the picture.  I'm pretty sure we left Delos around 11:00, but I could be wrong.  It might have been a little later. I do know that there was more than one boat in the equation and both were at Delos at the same time when we departed for Mykonos.  I do feel that we had enough time on Delos.  But, there was no time to climb the mountain, of course.  I think the excursions had our own boat back.  We were dropped off in Old Town with a ticket to ride the shuttle back to the New Port at our leisure.

I should add... I generally prefer to DIY on cruise ports.  But I decided to spend the money here just to simplify the logistics of not having to get to Old Town and then purchase my own ticket and wait for the 10:00 boat.  I wan't exactly sure how the timing would work out.  I too was a little nervous about the possibility of sitting around until the 10:00 boat as part of the excursion.  But I was happy to find out it wasn't done that way.  So, while the excursion was much more expensive, it ended up just fine.  I don't think I would have done anything different on Delos if I were on my own.  I would definitely recommend using a guide while there.  They explained things very well to us.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2023 at 6:38 PM, cruisemom42 said:

. Unless you know a lot about the ancient site in particular (Delos is a bit different, both in terms of how it functioned in the ancient world and in terms of its archaeology), I would recommend the tour. 

Went on a Celebrity ship tour to Delos years ago.  Cannot remember if it was a private boat or the equals ferry we took both ways. The guide was very informative and gave  context to the whole island its history, including the  Gk myths about origins of Delos, the actual  ruins  you were walking through. The museum was open and was a great place to visit . It has AC. We were there in late October and it was hot.  I remember a  young woman was on the  boat to Delos  just to bring food the the numerous cats living on the island. 

it was one f my best memories of the  Gk islands.

so good to run cross your posts today. I  have always  enjoyed your great knowledge of the Med world.

Edited by Azulann

Hi,

I am also trying to decide how to go to Delos. We normally do on our own. We will be on Celebrity Infinity in Sept., and I do not know which port it comes into, so I do not know how to decide if time needs to be left for getting to the right place. It look like both the ship and on your own leave at 10:00. am.

The museum is currently closed, and I am concerned about being out for 3 .5 hours in the heat. Is there any other air - conditioned places to be in Delos? 

Is there a shop or cafe for snacks and drinks?

The tours for both ship and on our own both seem to be for 3.5 hours- 10-1:30. Are we stuck there for the whole time, or do boats go back and forth and we can take an earlier one back? 

Thanks for any advice! 

10 hours ago, budmeister said:

Hi,

I am also trying to decide how to go to Delos. We normally do on our own. We will be on Celebrity Infinity in Sept., and I do not know which port it comes into, so I do not know how to decide if time needs to be left for getting to the right place. It look like both the ship and on your own leave at 10:00. am.

The museum is currently closed, and I am concerned about being out for 3 .5 hours in the heat. Is there any other air - conditioned places to be in Delos? 

The tours for both ship and on our own both seem to be for 3.5 hours- 10-1:30. Are we stuck there for the whole time, or do boats go back and forth and we can take an earlier one back? 

Thanks for any advice! 

I was just on Delos in May.  There were no open buildings other than the restrooms.

10 hours ago, budmeister said:

Hi,

Thanks for any advice! 

Keep in mind that if the tour is from 10 to 1:30, you have to allow for the 30-minute ferry ride. So you'll be on Delos from 10:30 to 1:00 pm in all likelihood (2.5 hours).

I read that there is somewhere that you can buy water and cold drinks, but the other poster is correct in that the museum is the only place you could go to get out of the heat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Keep in mind that if the tour is from 10 to 1:30, you have to allow for the 30-minute ferry ride. So you'll be on Delos from 10:30 to 1:00 pm in all likelihood (2.5 hours).

I read that there is somewhere that you can buy water and cold drinks, but the other poster is correct in that the museum is the only place you could go to get out of the heat.

Good point cruisemom42.  There was a vending machine selling at least water in the same structure as the bathrooms.  I don't recall if it had other beverages.  It wasn't hot when we were there, so there wasn't a real rush to buy drinks really.  There was a little bit of space in this area to get shade.  But nothing designed specifically for that.  Also, this building is right by the pier where you arrive/depart.  Once you're out and about on the island, it's not exactly a convenient place to pop into to continue with your exploration of the island.  You'd be backtracking.  But I suppose you could if you wanted to bad enough.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Once again, cruisemom 42 has great advice. (Of which I have used in my planning more than once)  Thank you, as we are going to go to Delos on our own now. Save over 200$ each. 

Your insight is appreciated:))

• Like 1

Cheers,

so easy, went to the website, shown on the kiosk in the photo from Milhouse, booked Guided tour for 2 adults (includes device) and choose the Ferry times. 120 Euro total. Given the prices shown in same photo, either the ferry is included or you pay there.

The price on NCL with the device is 290.00 each. (More tours!! :))

Thanks for your great info to you both. Mulhouse and cruisemom42.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Postcards said:

Cheers,

so easy, went to the website, shown on the kiosk in the photo from Milhouse, booked Guided tour for 2 adults (includes device) and choose the Ferry times. 120 Euro total. Given the prices shown in same photo, either the ferry is included or you pay there.

The price on NCL with the device is 290.00 each. (More tours!! :))

Thanks for your great info to you both. Mulhouse and cruisemom42.

Enjoy your day there!

All very helpful into! Heading to Delos for the 3rd time in Sept. on a small ship which tenders (despite previous visits to Mykonos, where we docked on mid-size ships). Prior trips were tours, each with ta different itinerary, but we want to go to other parts of the site that the tours don't visit. Too bad about the museum--never enough time there... I do have McGilchrist's; nice to know it's recommended!

One note: in 2017, there were restrooms and a snack shack with a patio to the side of the museum. You can see those on the aerial map below. But there was similar with a ticket booth on the pier.

Here's a site with an aerial map; the photos show some places with shade south of the pier (toward the mountain). https://www.greece-is.com/a-do-it-yourself-tour-of-delos-detailed-map-included/House of Hermes is one; House of the Masks, past the theater, is another. House of Dolphins, even further out, but Maison du Trident is one too--and closer to the entrance.

It appears that the museum will be closed for our August Trip.  Can anyonce confirm that it will be closed mid-August?  We are doing a private sail to the island.  Thanks.  The info. is this question has been most helpful.

10 hours ago, OC PAT said:

It appears that the museum will be closed for our August Trip.  Can anyonce confirm that it will be closed mid-August?  We are doing a private sail to the island.  Thanks.  The info. is this question has been most helpful.

All the sites I checked continue to say it is closed; I cannot find any re-opening date listed. Perhaps the Greek authorities have been burned too many times by giving a date that wasn't met. (They were notoriously slow to reconstruct the Akrotiri site in Santorini after its collapse, for example....)

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 3:16 PM, OC PAT said:

checked yesterday and online says its still closed

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

It's been awhile since this has been discussed, but I hate to start a new thread. I'm looking at things to do in Mykonos and I want to go to Delos. The ship tours are full and I'm researching doing it on my own, but I'm not sure I can get there and get back in time. The ship arrives at 9:00 am and is a tender port. It leaves at 7:00 pm. I can get back, I'm just concerned about getting to shore and then getting to the ferry. Doable or should I plan something else?