Staying on Ship instead of visiting port???

Do other people stay on the ship when docked in the ports, I know I won't be interested in getting off the ship at all the ports, is that weird or do other people just want to kick back and relax on the ship??? We're booked on the Freedom 6/11/06 sailing. I know my husband and son will be interested in the shore excursions, but I'm much more laid back.

We love to stay on the ship in some ports. St. Thomas is a favorite, because it's very picturesque. We go for a walk, maybe up the tram, then come back and watch the harbor.

It's very quiet, serene and pleasant on board in port.

We love to stay on the ship in some ports. St. Thomas is a favorite, because it's very picturesque. We go for a walk, maybe up the tram, then come back and watch the harbor.

It's very quiet, serene and pleasant on board in port.

Thanks Peggy that makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one wanting to stay on ship and relax.

We sailed the Eastern Caribbean and my cousin and his wife stayed on board while we visited San Juan (they'd been there before) Spent the day relaxing on a quiet ship and had a massage. Loved It!

We're leaving on the 4 day Monarch of the Seas on Monday and plan on staying on board while in San Diego as we were just there last October. Just relax. It's Your Vacation!

Do other people stay on the ship when docked in the ports, I know I won't be interested in getting off the ship at all the ports, is that weird or do other people just want to kick back and relax on the ship??? We're booked on the Freedom 6/11/06 sailing. I know my husband and son will be interested in the shore excursions, but I'm much more laid back.
We are booked on the Dawn Princess for the end of April and have no interest in visiting the Mexican ports.....and we plan to primarily relax on the ship........:)

My wife stayed on the ship at Grand Bahama, we'd been there before and she had no desire to do anything except lie by the pool in peace and quiet. I never left the pier, the only reason I got off the ship was to try and find a WI-FI hot spot, Grandeur wasn't equipped at that time, or I'd have stayed onboard. I doubt we'll be off the ship long in St. Thomas or St. Martin this next cruise, long enough to go shopping and back for lunch.

I used to stay on in all the ports, now I cruise with first timers so take them around the ports. I tend to do the same thing over and over so after you have seen a port once, getting off is not as important. It is nice to stay on board, quiet, still things to do if you want, or just take a book and nap by the pool. I seldom do shore excursions so if I get off at port, I walk around a bit, and if I am not with someone else, I head back to the ship and enjoy the quiet time.

I hate Cozumel and that is a stay on ship port for us. You also get the benefit of less people everywhere around the ship. Pools, Gym, Restaurants, etc...

Enjoy a relaxing stay your way! Remember you are on vacation, behave like kids without parental supervision, you have only 7 days to do it.

Since we've been to St. Thomas and St. Marteen way too many times; my wife and I would just get off the ship, do any quick shpping, and then it is back to the ship for the rest of the day (this is usually way before lunch time)... We get to kick back and relax, and even take a nice power nap on our cabin while the ship is in port, and there aren't many onboard...

:)

When I asked my 12yr.old daughter where she would like to go for our next cruise she said it didn't matter because she would rather just stay on the ship the whole 7 days! She has only taken 2 cruises so far and already feels like this.

After 5 cruises, this past cruise in Jan we walked off the ship in St Thomas heading for our rental car and we decided to go back to the ship. We had one of the nicest days. Got a pool side lounge chair to watch the kids swimming in the pool...no crowds.... just NICE. Had worries I was always missing something before...got over that now too. I just do not feel the need now to do all and see all..thus an excuse to go on another cruise!

very relaxing those days; Advt Ocean open all day if kids want in and do not want excursions themselves or you have younger ones you want to check-in. As others have stated, can pick a spot & read or sleep and very little to disturb until really about an hour before sailing time I found.

Being on the ship while most everyone else is in port is a cruise highlight for me. There are many places I do not enjoy and much prefer to have the ship almost to myself.

There is usually a day or 2 that I stay on the ship while it is in port. It is almost like having the ship to yourself because everyone else gets off. On my last cruise(9 day), it worked out that we stayed on the ship for 2 ports. With the 4 sea days, it was almost like we never got off.

We love to stay on the ship in ports we have been to many times or don't care for the port....like San Juan or a few of the Mex Riveria ports.

The ship is quiet, plenty of space around the solarium...fun to watch the people slowly filter back in and collapse around the pool and nap :D

It is also a great time to get some good ship photos without the crowds.

The spa will run some port day specials.

Best part is it's fun to watch people getting back to the ship as it nears sail away time. :eek: :D

I LOVE staying on the ship - the very first cruise I ever took was with a friend years ago on Carnival Eastern Caribbean. I think it was something like six ports in seven days (or at least felt like it). After four days I told her "I'm just NOT getting off the ship today - you'll find me by the pool!" It was a wonderful, relaxing day and I've since had many, many more like it. No rush, rush, rush to catch an excursion, get up when I feel like it, have my choice of lounges by the pool, etc., etc. Not for everyone, but definitely my kind of vacation.

In December we were on the Grandeur to the Western Caribbean and did not get off the ship at all. We had visited the ports at least five times before and decided we didn't really need the hastle of tendering. I must say we thoroughly enjoyed having the ship almost to ourselves. The mornings were especially quiet and a great time to relax by the pool and enjoy the quietness.

Lots of people in their 70s and 80s stay on board in many ports; you'll have plenty of company.

So do some in their late thirties/early forties! We have cruised the Med lots of times and seen most ports. It's great to be on board when the ship's not so busy.

On our upcoming cruise we are on the Rhapsody, and I can assure you DH and I are not getting off in Cozumel (been there, done that 3 times) especially since the tendering is required. Even in April it is bloody hot there and walking through town, you are pestered by people trying to sell you stuff. We have a JR suite and we will sit outside and watch the goings on, or enjoy the view. We definitely will get off on Key West, as it is our favorite port. Also, Grand Cayman, we choose an excursion and then walk around shopping and getting an endless glass of iced tea at Hard Rock Cafe! We also SKIP bingo (waste of time and money), and the shopping seminars are a bore, so we relax somewhere on board!

So do some in their late thirties/early forties! We have cruised the Med lots of times and seen most ports. It's great to be on board when the ship's not so busy.

I am also in my 40s and do not get off the ship anymore in St. Thomas, Barbados, and a list of other islands. They are overcrowded with thousands of cruise ship passengers.

The ship is a perfect place to enjoy on these days, not matter your age.

Archived