Staying on Ship instead of visiting port???

After you've been to a port once, unless there is something fabulous there (which most of the time, there isn't) staying onboard is great--but everyone: Stop telling everybody about it! I thought is was our secret!!!

I have not stayed on the ship but I have ventured off, walked around and gotten back on before lunch. Sometimes I want the gym to myself or to take a nap in the sun and just eat a burger by the pool. I like the wonderful desserted feeling and if I have to do the straw market on Nassau one more time I think I'll scream.

My wife and I have stayed on the ship at times. Most people get off the ship but there are a fair amount that do stay on. It is a good chance to enjoy the pool deck without a lot of traffic. Also, remember to find out what is open on the ship. Not all of the restaurants and bars will be open but there will still be plenty to do. Another thing we often do is go out for a walk and make it back to the ship for lunch. After all the food is already paid for, you might as well eat it.

Do other people stay on the ship when docked in the ports, I know I won't be interested in getting off the ship at all the ports, is that weird or do other people just want to kick back and relax on the ship??? We're booked on the Freedom 6/11/06 sailing. I know my husband and son will be interested in the shore excursions, but I'm much more laid back.

We will stay on the ship for almost all the ports. we do not like St. Thomas...we have been there so many times and it is very crowded. If there is a tour you want to take you will be fine. The ship is so nice while in port...the pools and hot tubs are empty and it is a good time to walk around and take pictures.

Yep. Forgot to add...if you already have paid for a meal onboard, then take advantage of it! Some ports have very expensive (tourist traps) casual dining. Have a drink (soft or adult) when you're at port. Also, last cruise there was a movie in the early afternoon (first run), which was great!

It depends on the itinerary, but absolutely, yes, I stay onboard! Last spring we didn't have a cruise booked and I found a fabulous last deal on Celebrity's Horizon. Since we hadn't planned for the trip there wasn't money for excursions. DH got off at all the ports and walked around, but I am extremely proud to say that after the ship left the first port, I NEVER GOT OFF THE SHIP until we reached the debarkation port! I loved every minute of it! Enjoy!

On our upcoming cruise we are on the Rhapsody, and I can assure you DH and I are not getting off in Cozumel (been there, done that 3 times) especially since the tendering is required.

I was on Rhapsody in January and movies were run in the theater (no, Rhapsody does not have a "movie" theater, this was the regular theater where the shows are in the evening) each day when we were in port (my third visit to all the ports).

We saw "Red Eye", "Flight Plan", and "The Island" (Red Eye was good). Just wish there was popcorn! Also, the Spa has specials on port days...

I enjoy staying on board--especially if it is a port where we have visited many times before and don't really care for--such as Nassau. After our last visit to Cozumel, where we were constantly hounded by vendors, I may add that to the list of "stay on board".

Many, many people opt out of the tours or going to shore...some just go briefly...but it will still be crowded on the ship (just not as crowded) and there will be a lot fewer activities, plus dinning options are at a minimal.

DH and I cruised in January to the Eastern Caribbean (8th cruise for me, 4th for him) and stayed on the ship when we went to Nassau and San Juan and then only got off in St. Thomas to do some shopping. This was the first time we had not gotten off the ship and we absolutely LOVED it, it was nice having a pick of deck chairs and no lines in the windjammer. It almost felt like we had the ship to ourself! I definitely recommend it!

Archived