Windstar cabin upgrades

travels4me

What has your experience been in receiving complementary or low cost upgrade after you have booked a cruise on Windstar?  We are Yacht Club members in tier 4 with 14 cruises and 3 more planned for 2023, 2024 and 2025 already.  We always select our cabin in advance, but this time I thought I'd take a gamble and book the least expensive cabin and hope that I might upgrade. 

Any strategy that you find works or is it simply random?  We've been upgraded one time when onboard, but never contacted prior to departure.  What is your experience? 

We have done over 45 Windstar cruises. Upgrades have absolutely no consistency. Before Covid we were given upgrades without knowing until we boarded, offered free upgrades prior to sailing, offered upgrades at a significant discount but mostly were not offered upgrades. Since Covid most of the upgrades have been offered onboard for a fee. Just yesterday we were “given” a three category upgrade for a September sailing. It took me over an hour to decline the upgrade and be reinstated into the old cabin. It was in a far less desirable location in a cabin type I did not want for this particular voyage. As sailings begin to sell out upgrades are offered to free up cabins they can sell but at that point the remaining cabins may not be in the best locations. I think your best bet is choose a cabin you will be happy with, hope “for an even better cabin” but enjoy the voyage none the less.

• Thanks 2

Well said. We have been on 26 on the 27 in Sept, 25 sails, 1 pre stretch motor, Sept. stretched motor. Love the sailing ships do not care where, in room to sleep that is it, love the decks and being surrounded by sails.  On the Surf we consider an upgrade a change unless it is a suite then it is a true upgrade, my husband likes them more than I do, I simply love being on the sailboats. Motor ship need a balcony. Decks not as spacious and love fresh air. Probably not the best person to ask, r&rd gave you excellent advice.  Happy Sailing

We have sailed many times with Windstar. In 2018 we were on a back 2 back 2 back cruise in the lowest cabin on Wind Surf. The upgrade fairy sent us an email several months ahead of our cruise asking us if we'd like to upgrade to a suite (at that time it was the suites where they combine 2 rooms into 1 thus giving you 2 bathrooms). I had to call and double check that the upgrade was for no money, for all 3 legs of our cruise, and that we would be in the same cabin the entire trip. Once we were assured of those things, it was a no brainer and we upgraded.

I think what happened is they realized they could sell our lower cabin for all 3 segments as individual cruises and hadn't sold very many of the suites so they offered us the upgrade. I wasn't about to complain; 25 days with my husband and 2 bathrooms...what's not to love?!

We have asked after boarding if there are any upgrades available but haven't ever had the answer come back yes. And we've never received another visit from the upgrade fairy...

Hi Tina, the upgrade fairy on the Surf visited us twice last Christmas and the Christmas before. When we boarded we were offered the suites. Gilles thrilled. I do need to

admit last year the fairy intervened they had 4 people booked in our room, funny. We had the most past nights so we got it. Happy Sailing.

• Like 1

I have never been offered an upgrade, either before or during boarding, and I have been on many Wind Star cruises.  The only time I've gotten an "upgrade" (and this was just to the same cabin on a different deck) was when their was a price change, and they chose to upgrade the cabin instead of lowering the price.  

• 3 months later...

I never asked for an upgrade.  However, there were a few times that I got a complimentary upgrade. All cabins are basically the same, it really didn’t matter. That was before the pandemic. It was also before my spouse had mobility issues. 
After pandemic, on Star breeze I asked for a cabin change. I wasn’t looking for an upgrade.  The concern was a mobility issue.  Instead I got a high pressure sales pitch trying to get me to pay extra for a “new” cabin with bed near the window.  Just wanted bed facing the opposite direction. Ship had only 135 passengers.  There were lots of empty cabins. 

Thanks for your reply.  I’ve asked a few times, but it happened only once.  And yes, you are right, the rooms are indeed all the same.  I’m just curious to whether there is any rhyme or reason to how they make those decisions.  

Before pandemic, when past passengers checked in at the cruise, they could ask to be waitlisted for upgrades.  Same size cabins were free and often the upgrades happened. The routine was checkin early, ask to be put on the waitlist, don’t unpack, and wait. After everyone checked in, cabin reassignments happened. We usually booked a suitable cabin and didn’t ask to be upgraded. Past passengers could also be placed on a waitlist for upgrades to a big suite.  If you were lucky and got it, you paid $300.  There were also some random free upgrades that were given out before you sailed. We got some. Same type cabin on a higher deck.  It was a nice gesture.  It cost them nothing and made you feel rewarded for loyalty.  
On Star ships, before stretch, we booked a cabin with walk-in shower.   Since there were very few of those cabins, we usually booked way in advance. Now, with most tubs removed, there are more cabins that are accessible for my spouse. 
When WS resumed sailing after lockdown, those upgrades didn’t happen. Not surprising because WS got a new President. The new paradigm is upsell.  
My paradigm is to book a cabin suitable for you. If you get an upgrade, be happy. 

• Like 1

Only been on 4 WS cruises but we've been offered 'upgrades' 3 times - Each time though we passed, as the 'upgrade' wasn't free and we didn't see the monetary value

First we tend to book the lowest cat cabin because my wife and I are quite social and barely spend any time in the room, especially say in Tahiti or warmer weather

Oddly enough though we've only been on Holland America twice, and this May 2023, got offered a seriously nice suite upgrade for very little cost - We jumped on that one as we were traveling with another couple and our massive suite was a terrific place too gather b4 dinner, and or on at sea glacier days, pus the much larger balcony

Now we've yet to be on a WS cruise any longer than 10 nights but I will say the Pride/Breeze size yacht cabins are significantly spacious/comfy as compared to the ole smaller surf/wind, etc, so much so we don't pine for upgrades to french balconies or suites, but sure that would be different once you're talking about 12 night plus, if offered and free, of course we'd jump at it

jc

Toronto        

We have gotten complimentary upgrades on the 2 cruises we have taken since end of COVID and on our last cruise we got upgraded from 109 to 309 on the Surf.  On the surface it looked great and took it right away however we realized, once onboard, that 309 is above the propellers (whereas 109 is further to the center of ship) and in the morning, the room would shake (I mean shake) strongly as the propellers backed up the ship during anchoring operations (added in room sticky at the time).  Should have stayed in 109.  We are in 119 on our January cruise and unless the upgrade is also in the ships's mid section, we're not taking it.

• 1 month later...

That's great news for you!!  But, there seems to be no pattern for who is awarded complementary upgrades or not.  Wondering if it has to do with the travel agent?  On our recent cruise to Japan, when I asked about upgrades once on the ship, we were offered one at an additional price of $500; but we decided to stay in our planned room since we prefer the seating by the window rather than the bed. 

Given that we have 29 cruises with WS we often get offered upgrades.  On the sailing ships we like to be in front of the water tight doors so we don't have to be bothered with being stuck without an elevator.  We do not care which floor. Since all rooms/cabins are the same besides the suits we simply decline unless of course it is a suite. My husband loves a suite I really do not care. On the motor ships we like the old configuration with the living area near the balcony. There is something about the motor yachts we would not go without a balcony and we like floor 5 room 511 in that area because it is easy to get out to the hot tub which we love it being on the bow of the ship. We always tell WS do not change us.  We certainly all have different requirements, different reasons, funny. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1