What to do in Mykonos?

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Two threads on Mykonos in 4 hours?

The first I was asking which would be the best beach day. I was planning on doing that at the port with shipwreck beach but later found out it’s closed. While I love a beautiful beach, I was hoping to find more to do at these ports than go to beaches. My dh goes along to beaches with me all along the Caribbean, but I’m sure he doesn’t want to do that at multiple ports in Greece. Is there anything else to do here?  I searched a few pages and it was all about beaches.  

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:
1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is there anything else to do here?  I searched a few pages and it was all about beaches.  

Perhaps you could borrow a few travel books from your library to learn about the various destinations you'll be visiting.  There are even books specific to Med cruises; ie by Rick Steves and Ann Vipond. They provide info on the history, sights, activities, etc.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is there anything to do here besides see the windmills and the beach?  

We visited Delos in the morning then spent time wandering the narrow (and very white) streets of the pretty town including the area by the windmills and Little Venice.  It was a very pleasant day.  And don't forget to look for Peter the Pelican usually found close to the harbour.

And do internet search for Mykonos Tourist Info, also sites such as Tripadvisor for inspiration.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Go to the Delos archeological site.

I saw that excursion but it doesn’t look fun. We will be doing plenty of that type of stuff in Athens and Rome. 

15 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Perhaps you could borrow a few travel books from your library to learn about the various destinations you'll be visiting.  There are even books specific to Med cruises; ie by Rick Steves and Ann Vipond. They provide info on the history, sights, activities, etc.   

I forgot, I do have Rick Steve’s Mediterranean Cruise Ports book.  Although it’s starting to look like we’ll just make it another beach day or take the water taxi to town and walk around the shops. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

6 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

We visited Delos in the morning then spent time wandering the narrow (and very white) streets of the pretty town including the area by the windmills and Little Venice.  It was a very pleasant day.  And don't forget to look for Peter the Pelican usually found close to the harbour.

And do internet search for Mykonos Tourist Info, also sites such as Tripadvisor for inspiration.

Thanks!  I just don’t think there’s anything that looks overly exciting to me here. I think we’ll go to a beach and/or walk around the town. 

46 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I forgot, I do have Rick Steve’s Mediterranean Cruise Ports book

15 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is there anything to do here besides see the windmills and the beach?

You really are all over the place with your planning. I second the suggestion to get or borrow travel guides to get an idea of where you are going and to get a fuller picture of what to see in each area.  Seeing the whole picture in a book first is a lot more helpful than scattershot questions and internet searches. 

Don't stay with just the Rick Steves' guides.  Look for other books like the Insight guides that have wonderful pictures and a different perspective.  This will help you ask questions more targeted to your interests and to put in context the answers you get here.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I just don’t think there’s anything that looks overly exciting to me here

Not everywhere has to have an element of "excitement"

Sometimes a -pleasant, more relaxed day with a nice lunch and pretty/interesting/scenic  things to see can be just as enjoyable, and if your days prior to arriving into Mykonos have been long and/or busy, Mykonos is a good enough place to enjoy some down time at a relaxed pace.

2 hours ago, marazul said:

You really are all over the place with your planning.

I’m not sure why you are saying this at this point.  

2 hours ago, marazul said:

I second the suggestion to get or borrow travel guides to get an idea of where you are going and to get a fuller picture of what to see in each area.  Seeing the whole picture in a book first is a lot more helpful than scattershot questions and internet searches. 

Don't stay with just the Rick Steves' guides.  Look for other books like the Insight guides that have wonderful pictures and a different perspective.  This will help you ask questions more targeted to your interests and to put in context the answers you get here.

I’ve been watching a lot of videos. Nothing stands out at Mykonos, except the beach. Our next port is Zakynthos and I don’t see anything there other than a beach either. I don’t know that my husband would want to do beaches back to back.  I’d also be okay with walking around the town, enjoying lunch with a pretty view and shopping, but again, I’m not sure my dh would particularly enjoy that either. Our friends are doing a food tour, but it sounds seafood based and I’m not a big fan. Maybe I should suggest he do that with them and I could do the beach by myself, but it wouldn’t be the same without him. 

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Not everywhere has to have an element of "excitement"

Sometimes a -pleasant, more relaxed day with a nice lunch and pretty/interesting/scenic  things to see can be just as enjoyable, and if your days prior to arriving into Mykonos have been long and/or busy, Mykonos is a good enough place to enjoy some down time at a relaxed pace.

The days prior to Mykonos will be busy. A couple days pre-cruise touring Athens, then a tour in Santorini. The problem is two days in a row of just the beach/walking around town May seem boring to him. Then we have a 4x4 excursion in Corfu.  

29 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The problem is two days in a row of just the beach/walking around town May seem boring to him.

Having never been to Zante/Zakinthos I cannot comment but our DD spent a week there on vacation and assured us that there is "nothing to do there apart from the beach" and never intends to return.

OTOH, Mykonos is at least scenic and pretty so there at least options.  And sometimes weather plays a part too, especially if you are travelling at the height of summer in very hot temps.

Maybe he could look for something like a jet ski rental or a jeep tour or whatever other adrenalin rush activities might be on offer.  There should be info found on any "adventure-type" tours by internet searching.

Edited by edinburgher

17 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’m not sure why you are saying this at this point.  

Frankly, that's the impression I get.  I think others agree with me.

18 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’ve been watching a lot of videos.

Aaaah! Videos vs. books!  

Videos will give you a couple of shots of popular highlights, not a complete picture of the area.  A book will show you discrete areas, with a map, grouping various attractions together in an itinerary.  It will give you some information on various places.  It will let you decide what interests you, not someone else. It will have more complete information on attractions, excursions, hotels, etc than a video.

In Mykonos, it might give you reasons to go to Delos, or take a walking tour of the town that takes you to places you would not find on your own, or explore the island in a 4-wheel drive tour, or take a sailboat tour around the island. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Having never been to Zante/Zakinthos I cannot comment but our DD spent a week there on vacation and assured us that there is "nothing to do there apart from the beach" and never intends to return.

OTOH, Mykonos is at least scenic and pretty so there at least options.  And sometimes weather plays a part too, especially if you are travelling at the height of summer in very hot temps.

Maybe he could look for something like a jet ski rental or a jeep tour or whatever other adrenalin rush activities might be on offer.  There should be info found on any "adventure-type" tours by internet searching.

I found a private boat tour (up to 6 passengers) for Zakynthos on Viator and Trip advisor. I’m going to see if our friends would like to do that. If that works out, a beach day in Mykonos would be great. 

15 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:
1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

I found a private boat tour (up to 6 passengers) for Zakynthos on Viator and Trip advisor.

Do remember that Viator is only a "middleman" not a tour operator, so it is unlikely that you will know the name of the actual tour operator ahead of time. And if you have any questions or issues you will probably have to go through Viator.

Edited by edinburgher

Just now, edinburgher said:

Do remember that Viator is only a "middleman" not a tour operator, so you won't actually know which company is operating this trip until you arrive at the meeting point. And if you have any questions or issues arrise you will have to go through Viator.

I know. That’s why I was hoping I could get a recommendation here. 🙂 That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day!

3 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That’s why I was hoping I could get a recommendation here. 🙂

If no specific recommendations, by using the search tool you could pull up all previous threads and posts about Zakyinthos  and read through them in the hope that a recommended company might be found in them..

• Like 1