Tortola excursions

skylar64

Just wondering if anyone has ever done the Virgin Islands Sailaway or the Forest Hike and Beach excursions in Tortola. Would like to book one of these but looking for any suggestions about doing either with children. The caves sound like find on the sailaway. thanks. :cool:

we did the V.I. Sailaway--it was nice--you get a catamaran ride, a snorkel site, then to a beach. Not particularly good for kids.

We did the sailaway and there a few kids - maybe 5 -6. They all seemed to have a great time. The kids were in the 9-12 age range.

thanks for the suggestions. We were thinking of going to cane garden bay beach also. We went to the baths last year when we were there and thought we would like to see more of tortola and something different. I was wondering if we could go on the cruise excursion of the forest hike and beach, then get our own ride back to the ship so that we can spend more time at the beach. We are there from 12:00 to 12:00 midnight.

We did the Forest Hike and Beach when we were there in November. We loved it. What age are your children? The hiking is a little tricky/slippery sometimes. Our daughter was 12 at the time and younger kids were on the hike as well. Everyone did fine. It's very muddy - your shoes get covered, but you can wash them off when you're done (don't wear sandals). I think it was a neat experience. After the hike, they take you to Cane Garden Beach. We did opt to get our own ride back and spend a few more hours on the beach. I believe it cost $12 - $15 for the three of us to get back to the ship. When you're on the beach - make sure you get a "Bushwacker" - great beach drink!! We fell in love with Tortola!

Have fun!

Skylar,

We went on the Forest Hike/Cane Garden Beach trip in Dec. and really enjoyed it.

There's an EXCITING open air truck ride pretty much straight up onto the mountain, followed by a walk through some thick jungle areas. This isn't a casual stroll, but is great if you like hiking. I would hang onto the little ones when hiking on the steep, muddy parts. The views down toward the water, ships and nearby islands are worth the price of the trip.

The beach part of the trip is worthwhile, too. There are chairs for rent and food and drink available at small businesses right on the beach.

There's plenty of shade, too, if it's a hot day.

We went on the Forest Hike/Cane Garden Beach trip in Dec. and really enjoyed it. There's an EXCITING open air truck ride pretty much straight up onto the mountain, followed by a walk through some thick jungle areas.

May4, perhaps you can give us the scoop on the open air trucks. The hike and the beach (because it has shade) sound fine to redheaded Joe, but he's concerned about the trucks. He's afraid of sunburn and windburn, as well as heat. Would a redhead with very fair skin and very sensitive eyes be OK on an open air truck? We've asked this question on Tortola boards in the past (for a trip that was later cancelled), but never got an answer.

A simple answer is it is a matter of latitudes not attitudes.

:D

Once I was going through the canal in Panama and just about 1/2 hour and I turned into what was Lobster Toast Points.

Hawaii is another example.. but not for heat just sun and wind.

Staying even inside a lot we had Hawaiian tans in only few days ..when we left 3 weeks we were tannys....:eek:

Probably being as the BoyScout Motto is Be Prepared is the best advise...

OZ=LB

An Ounch of Prevention is Worth a POUND of Cure.. Is that an Irish Pound or English pound Sterling?

Happy St. Patricks Day too now!:D

N Bergen County is chilly/windy now... the Green Signs on the GSP here X178 turned N. Irish for the day *S*

May4, perhaps you can give us the scoop on the open air trucks. The hike and the beach (because it has shade) sound fine to redheaded Joe, but he's concerned about the trucks. He's afraid of sunburn and windburn, as well as heat. Would a redhead with very fair skin and very sensitive eyes be OK on an open air truck? We've asked this question on Tortola boards in the past (for a trip that was later cancelled), but never got an answer.

If you are looking a tour of the island, we would recommend the North Shore & Pusser's Landing - 3 1/2 hrs offered on the ship Veendam . There were a few tourists stops and Pusser's Landing was okay, but scenic trip of the island was very good. We had a distant look at Cane's Bay and it looked like a very nice beach. Next time thats were we will go.

About the trucks-There are 5 or 6 large bench seats covered by an ample canopy... but the sides are open. The road up has a large number of switchbacks so there is sun exposure at times. ( Lots of shade, though, within the trees.)

After some consideration, I think maybe this wouldn't be an easy trip with children. Sometimes the only way to balance was to grab onto one of the smaller mahogany trees when trail turned steep or muddy. Also, our Tortola guide kept up a fairly fast pace.

So pretty, though.

:)

Thanks, May 4. I guess we'll decide closer to our 11/25 Noordam cruise. For the moment, our focus is on oin 5/13 cruise to Bermuda on the Celebrity Zenith. We certainly wish that HAL did Bermuda, but they haven't done so on a regular basis for many years.

Archived