Vancouver - Skytrain

I think I have this correct, but just verifying.  We're taking Skytrain from YVR.  At the Skytrain station there are ticket machines where you can purchase a multitude of Compass Cards, paper tkts, etc.  We are riding the train one time. We skip the ticket machines and simply tap our credit card at the turnstyle to get on to the train platform, right?   And then we tap the same credit card at the turnstyle to exit the train.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Steve in Omaha said:

I think I have this correct, but just verifying.  We're taking Skytrain from YVR.  At the Skytrain station there are ticket machines where you can purchase a multitude of Compass Cards, paper tkts, etc.  We are riding the train one time. We skip the ticket machines and simply tap our credit card at the turnstyle to get on to the train platform, right?   And then we tap the same credit card at the turnstyle to exit the train.  Thanks!

You tap any credit card at the gate.  It will charge your credit card and that's all you need to do.  Don't worry about buying anything, tap works just fine.   You are correct, tap in, tap out,

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2018/04/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-tap-to-pay-launching-on-may-22/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fisherwoman said:

You tap any credit card at the gate.  It will charge your credit card and that's all you need to do.  Don't worry about buying anything, tap works just fine.   You are correct, tap in, tap out,

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2018/04/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-tap-to-pay-launching-on-may-22/

Thanks. Really helpful!  My wife and I both have credit cards on the same account. Can we use those, or does one of us need to use a completely different card?

That is an interesting question! I would think you should be fine using the credit cards tied to the same account, but have never tried to do it.

DH and I also have cards tied to the same account, but the bill statements separate out which transactions are from my card and which are from the hubby's card. If yours is similar, then the skytrain system should see it as two separate transactions, not same one twice.

I think I am correct but the same credit card CANNOT be used for two payments when tapping in and tapping out. Believe I saw a sign at one of the stations the other day stating that. Perhaps MartinCath can shed light on this as well.

Dennis

8 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

I think I am correct but the same credit card CANNOT be used for two payments when tapping in and tapping out. Believe I saw a sign at one of the stations the other day stating that. Perhaps MartinCath can shed light on this as well.

Dennis

Not the same card. We have 2 physical cards on the same account. One in my name and one in my wife's name.

Another skytrain question - getting off the cruise - how far/easy is it to get to the Canada Line /waterfront station to get back to the airport on the morning of debarkation?  Yes we will have big suitcases!  LOL

3 hours ago, Froufie said:

Another skytrain question - getting off the cruise - how far/easy is it to get to the Canada Line /waterfront station to get back to the airport on the morning of debarkation?  Yes we will have big suitcases!  LOL

With luggage on wheels it isn't too difficult. It is two blocks: one short and the other longer.  I can't say in metres how far it is, but it takes me 10 minutes at a gentle pace.

When you leave Canada Place you will see an entrance to the Skytrain. Do not take this. It gives direct access to the Expo line which is good for the railway station but not the airport. Although that entrance can take you to the Waterfront Station (by walking along the platform) where you can access the Canada Line for the airport, there is only an up escalator from the platform to the station level at the Canada Place entrance.   So just walk past it and turn left for the short walk to Waterfront Station. There are escalators and a lift down to the Canada Line.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

With luggage on wheels it isn't too difficult. It is two blocks: one short and the other longer.  I can't say in metres how far it is, but it takes me 10 minutes at a gentle pace.

When you leave Canada Place you will see an entrance to the Skytrain. Do not take this. It gives direct access to the Expo line which is good for the railway station but not the airport. Although that entrance can take you to the Waterfront Station (by walking along the platform) where you can access the Canada Line for the airport, there is only an up escalator from the platform to the station level at the Canada Place entrance.   So just walk past it and turn left for the short walk to Waterfront Station. There are escalators and a lift down to the Canada Line.

Excellent and very helpful information - thank you so much!

Tap the credit/debit card app on your phone at the turnstile.  You don't have to fuss with cash or tickets.  Trust me, it works.

BTW, the walk from Canada Place to Waterfront Terminal is slightly uphill.

We will cruise in June 2024.  There will be 6 adults and 1 child (age 10).  All the adults have credit cards which feature the “tap” function.  On the Skytrain, the “tap” function can be used directly on the turnstile…each adult will tap going to Canada Place and “tap”  going to the airport upon return from cruise.

My question is how can the child’s parent “tap” their credit card to pay for Skytrain fare for the child?  I’m wondering if parent will just have to use a ticket kiosk and get a single paper ticket for the child?

Thanks in advance 

CJ

2 hours ago, CJMini said:

We will cruise in June 2024.  There will be 6 adults and 1 child (age 10).  All the adults have credit cards which feature the “tap” function.  On the Skytrain, the “tap” function can be used directly on the turnstile…each adult will tap going to Canada Place and “tap”  going to the airport upon return from cruise.

My question is how can the child’s parent “tap” their credit card to pay for Skytrain fare for the child?  I’m wondering if parent will just have to use a ticket kiosk and get a single paper ticket for the child?

Thanks in advance 

CJ

never been on skytrain, but from local 'train' tap scenario - can you not tap - let the child go through the turnstile first/ahead of you?  Then the adult tap next and follow?   Seeing that there are several adults around I think this would not be a problem?  

Unless the setup is different in Vancouver?

On 7/13/2023 at 3:35 PM, Froufie said:

We did the short walk to the skytrain last year. This was the route.

https://goo.gl/maps/b5k1iRo6S2nbdteX8

• Like 1

Anyone 12 and under travels free - just walk them through the turnstile with one of the paying adults. This applies to Skytrain, buses and sea buses.

Hope this answer your question.

Dennis